Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Chris Martin

Believe it''s 19 in the league and a couple in the cup.
It was also Friday night he notched it.
Was a lovely finish to be fair to him. Awkward ball fired in 6 yards out, and he slid for it, and caught it lovely with the outside of his boot to send it flying into the top corner.
Well done to the lad, glad to see him achieving.

[quote user="Hucks6"]Don''t worry Morty we will be back there next year and he can score against us[/quote]
Derby are in the playoffs. They''re probably the best team out of the ones who may finish in the playoff places. Wouldn''t be at all shocked to see them go up (which would be gutting for me as I think we''re likely going down and I live in Derby so have already lost one local away day with Leicester''s promotion. Losing two would be a bit galling!)

[quote user="morty"]....in the Championship.[/quote]

And?

Many on here were calling him a League One player when he left. Gave him zero credit for his very very limited PL game time in a developing inexperienced team. Most youth players seem to get bogged up more than they deserve, well not this guy.

Great achievement for him, showing exactly what he can do in a very competitive league when given a key attacking role. Think I''ve seen him notch up a few assists too when I''ve looked at their scores on flash scores.

Well done Chris Martin.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="morty"]....in the Championship.[/quote]

And?

Many on here were calling him a League One player when he left. Gave him zero credit for his very very limited PL game time in a developing inexperienced team. Most youth players seem to get bogged up more than they deserve, well not this guy.

Great achievement for him, showing exactly what he can do in a very competitive league when given a key attacking role. Think I''ve seen him notch up a few assists too when I''ve looked at their scores on flash scores.

Well done Chris Martin.[/quote]I am not detracting from his achievement in any way, I am pleased for him.But I do suspect the thread was started with a certain amount of "we should have never let him go, and he''s scoring more goals than our current strikers"That was my point, which I thought was fairly obvious.

Any of the strikers we let go would have offered us more than RVW this season unfortunately... those two or three goals may have kept us up. Unless RVW suddenly decides to do a Wickham in the last few games.... Christ even Altidore contributed something to Sunderlands cause today...

Well he wouldnt have done any worse than our strikers have. Wilbraham & RVW have the same goal tally for NCFC in the prem.

Rather ironic that the player that a lot of fans were happy to see leave is now being used to bash the club.

Personally I am glad the kid is showing what he can do. The few of us that stood up for him can have a bit of ''I told you so'' kudos.

Could he have played as the No. 10 we have missed all season?

As for the Championship - is it any worse than the SPL or Portugese Leagues? I think the competitiveness and style are closer to the Premier than many European Leagues.

I think Chris is glad to have gone to be honest so all parties are happy. He''d never have got any game time for Norwich and instead has gone to Derby and become a goalscorer for them. Don''t forget he had quite a few loans to Palace in the Championship and didn''t really do much. Also didn''t do much for Derby in his first season.

Good to see the lad doing well - he came through our academy so good luck to him, except in games against us. But he was never going to get his chance with us. Like so many players - Olly Johnson, Korey, Adeyemi, to name but a few - the club outgrew him. It was best for all parties that we went our separate ways.Why everything has to become a stick to beat the club with is beyond me.

When Lambert was here there was talk about making him an attacking midfielder, and when he played with Holt he was the deep striker / numero 10.At Derby he is their main man, and what a number 9 he looks to have become.I don''t think his talent has ever really been doubted, I think he was just unlucky that we came straight up from League One because he had injury problems in our Championship year and to go from League One, to injury problems, to Premier League football was a step too far too soon.

[quote user="Herman "]

Rather ironic that the player that a lot of fans were happy to see leave is now being used to bash the club.

Personally I am glad the kid is showing what he can do. The few of us that stood up for him can have a bit of ''I told you so'' kudos.

[/quote]

I don''t think there was too much doubt that Chris Martin can score goals outside (below) the Premier League.

Glad to see he is doing well. I always did think he had it in him to score goals at Championship level. However, it was the correct decision for both himself and the club that he left. He needed to get away from Norwich and have a fresh start. He got that at Derby and has never looked back. Do I think he capable of getting goals regularly in the Premier League - if I am honest no.

You can only make decisions in the present and you don''t have the benefit of hindsight. I think virtually everyone at the time believed that replacing Martin with Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel was a positive step forward. If we had been relying on Martin at the beginning on the season to deliver the goals there would have been outroar on this forum and with plenty of justification based on his performances last season.

No one can use an ''I told you so'' argument unless/until Martin is doing it at PL level, which he may or may not do. At the moment he is doing fine and good luck to him - the point wasn''t whether he was or wasn''t a decent prospect, more that we had ''outgrown'' him as thing stood with us in the PL and we weren''t going to be using him. Obviously fortunes may switch around, that''s what happens in football

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Herman "]

[/quote]

I don''t think there was too much doubt that Chris Martin can score goals outside (below) the Premier League.

[/quote]

Sadly there was a few arguments with people that were sure Chris wasn''t good enough, using his past troubles to prove that he wouldn''t go far, L1 at best etc. etc. Petty minded of me to remember, but it wound me up at the time. Which isn''t hard tbh.

Maybe he won''t be good enough for the Prem, he wasn''t ready with us at the time, but he seems to have gotten his mojo back and good luck to him.

glad he has done well but the step between championship and Premier league is massive, many players fail to do it and of those that do few sustain it over multiple seasons

you only have to look at our own squad

Hooper 19 goals

Bechio 15 goals ( 1/2 a season)

Snodgrass 13 goals

Herman wrote the following post at 21/04/2014 7:41 AM:

GJP wrote:

Herman wrote:

Sadly there was a few arguments with people that were sure Chris wasn''t good enough, using his past troubles to prove that he wouldn''t go far, L1 at best etc. etc. Petty minded of me to remember, but it wound me up at the time. Which isn''t hard tbh.

Maybe he won''t be good enough for the Prem, he wasn''t ready with us at the time, but he seems to have gotten his mojo back and good luck to him.

He is a very good natural goal scorer, the main problems are in his head, if he gets that straight he could do well in the Prem IMO

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]The season we signed him, Becchio had 19 Championship goals by January.  Maybe he could be the answer.[/quote]

Maybe he could be, we''ll never know.

Under Lambert, Chris Martin was a key part of our L1 campaign and in the champ he got plenty of games and a reasonable return of goals (I''d forgotten he was injured for part of that season as someone has pointed out).

When we were promoted to the Prem, Lambert started CM for our first five games... then Lambert dropped him and he never got a regular first team place back with us, was loaned out etc and the rest is history.  That was CM''s "chance" in the Prem - 5 starts under a manager who knew him well, which is about as good a chance as any player can expect.  Certainly Becchio has never had 5 league starts in a row with us (or in total AFAIR).

It irritates me slightly when people say CM never got his chance in the Prem with us.  He had his chance under Lambert and didn''t take it.  Maybe with another team he will be able to make the step up to the Prem but I doubt it,  I suspect he''ll be a striker like Rob Earnshaw who can score in the Champ but isn''t good enough for the Prem. 

Some of you need a history lesson here, the only reason super Chrissy got dropped from our PL side was because of Ruddy getting sent of Chelsea and then his injury.

Lambert once said he was the best hitter of a ball at our club.........massive own goal to let him go imo.[:@]

Correct, then Holt and Morison started doing well.

Once Morison dropped off, that could have been Martins way back in. People forget he was still only young when playing in the prem for us. I bet he''s twice the player now and ready for a proper go at Premiership level.

Martin has a place in the prem - playing off the main striker. I have always believed he''d be the natural backup for Hoolahan at the club.

If he was the main striker, he''d most likely end up struggling like the goal poacher''s we brought in to replace Holt. I think Martin''s superior footballing skills means he''s more than capable of playing in midfield - unlike RVW, Hooper & Elmander.