Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Should Neil Adams get the job full time?

If he can produce another good performance next match, this time from the very beginning, then he must be in with a very good chance. We are seeing intelligence with flexibility and good man management.

When doubters were concerned about his lack of experience in the Premiership, and two assistants who had none either were added, many felt that we should have gone with Hughton. The only remaining doubt for me is that we left it far too late. I have no doubt that if he had been appointed in January we would not be in the mess we are now. (Of course if there had been a change in January, he probably wouldn''t have been considered.)

He has always shown himself to be an astute judge of football and players, so I am not surprised to find us making a better fist of things now.

Should he be given the job now? Possibly not, we need him to be hungry for it. If, however, the Board have no other manager in mind and will start to look only at the end of the season, there must be much to be said for them to give him the job as soon as possible, so he can begin the job of re-building a not very good side. We need to be in very quickly in attempts to sign some good players for our status, whatever it is.

Everyone is such an expert on tactics! All I know is I’m enjoying watching Norwich play again.

lowlyfendweller wrote The fact he thinks Russell Martin is a premiership level CB concerns me.

He wouldn’t be my first either, but those first teams that Lambert put out who honestly agreed with his first selections? I think the first thing Adams has done is identify which players have the character for the fight. There has been something poisonous within the squad, maybe Adams has identified this and now we’re seeing a team who may go down, but at least we’ll go down fighting.

We deserved a draw against a team who are 5 points clear, if that’s not improvement, I’m not sure what is?

I know this sounds crazy but, if we get relegated, then yes, keep him on. The motivation and fighting spirit we showed in the second half yesterday, if replicated at championship level would more than make up for the lack of tactical awareness. It worked under Lambert, and got us two successive promotions, and if we can keep the nucleus of the team, I think that sort of never say die attitude could see a quick return to the top level,

Unfortunately attitude and fighting spirit are not enough at Premier League level. Yes, you need those attributes, but you need to add to that some of the experience and tactical awareness that experienced managers like Pulis, Allardyce and Hughes have shown this season. Look at Palace, West Ham and Stoke - they have pulled out the results when it matters in recent weeks and all appear to be safe now.

Whether or not you would want to watch that sort of football week in week out is another matter, but you can''t deny that it is effective.

The alternative is to go down the Villa route - appoint Paul Lambert and get entertaining football, and a relegation struggle every season. Villa will probably just about survive this season, but for a club that size they are seriously under-performing, under a man some people on here still regard as "the messiah".

So - if we go down, keep Adams. If we stay up, go for an experienced man, but be prepared for some boring football.

An answer to the question will do and if you didn''t want replies then why dredge it up? Strange.