Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Should Neil Adams get the job full time?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Why do people keep talking about Hughton? I don''t understand it...unless you think by saying that i''m wrong will annoy me? I don''t actually know how you can be wrong or right in saying he''ll keep us up or he''ll take us down. Its just not an argument. Tbh, I wish I could''ve been proven wrong or right, but its the fact that its not worth discussing thats annoying, its not valid.[/quote]Yet here you are still discussing it.In the words of Mark Twain:

“It''s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

[:$]

no..we need a manager with premiership experience or someone with knowledge of the leagues and a track record in promotions..Not criticising Adams... but when has it ever worked for a former player as a manager of ANY club? Hearts rule heads too much

Firedawg wrote the following post at 20/04/2014 5:24 PM:

Dislike him after two games ? Idiot ! Are you any good on Fifa 14

--------------------------------------------

Its perhaps not necessarily disliking him, but naive tactics that i dislike. I find it a bit disturbing that he tried to play the same way that we did in the first half v fulham today. Next game is even bigger now with our loss today so he can''t afford to make the same mistakes and go 2 goals down before he changes it halfway, he needs to get it right from the start.

Does that make me an idiot? yes...alright then

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]no..we need a manager with premiership experience or someone with knowledge of the leagues and a track record in promotions..Not criticising Adams... but when has it ever worked for a former player as a manager of ANY club? Hearts rule heads too much[/quote]Kenny Dalglish, Dave Stringer, Kevin Keegan, Howard Kendall, Roberto Di Matteo etc etc.

Football was in a different Era when Dalglish and Stringer were succesful.. for every one of them theres always a Gunn and a shearer.

Don Revie, Harry Catterick, Stan Cullis, Bob Paisley, Dave McKay, Bill Nicholson, George Graham. You''re right, it hardly ever works ex-players managing their former teams. [:|]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Football was in a different Era when Dalglish and Stringer were succesful.. for every one of them theres always a Gunn and a shearer.[/quote]I think you''ll find they sitll played with 22 men, one ball and 2 goals. Even back in the 1800''s. [8-)]

If we go down, I would like malkay. Adams as assistant. Malkay would motivate the players and is probably the expert in getting promoted from the championship with 3 promotions as a player and one as a manager. He also knows the club well and was doing well at cardiff before the dodgy owner got in the way.

Most definitely not , even if he kept us up , Adams retired 13 years ago if he had a burning desire to be a manager he would have gone and done it somewhere, if Adams had exactly the same career but at a different club and no connection to us and handed in his cv for our managers job there would not be one person on this forum who would say he''s the one we want

He has no experience as a manager or an assistant manager, we really need to set our sights a little higher

Adams makes them tick and knows how best to use our youth team. Malkay would add the steel and solidarity we badly lacked under hughton.

"Adams retired 13 years ago if he had a burning desire to be a manager he would have gone and done it somewhere"

Some of the best managers in the game have taken a similar route by working their way through the ranks and stepping up, including Brendan Rodgers and Jose Mourinho. In fact Adams is much earlier to the job than Chris Hughton was when he took control of Newcastle. So stupid comment. Adams won the FA Youth Cup last season, an amazing achievement in an age when the top six or seven clubs are going out and paying a million quid for 15 year olds.

I pretty much agree with Jimmy Smith - Malky with Adams as assistant is probably what I''d go for, if the guys themselves were happy with it.

There have certainly been a number of good signs, but the fact is that we still lost the two games. We were far too slow off the mark today when we should have been tight/in their faces from the off: this need was surely obvious and that we weren''t ended up costing us the game. What was good to see was the way we fought back and we seemed to have far more attacking nouse than previously seen this season, but effectively starting 2-0 down was always going to be nigh-on impossible.

Juggy wrote the following post at 20/04/2014 7:57 PM:

"Adams retired 13 years ago if he had a burning desire to be a manager he would have gone and done it somewhere"

Some of the best managers in the game have taken a similar route by working their way through the ranks and stepping up, including Brendan Rodgers and Jose Mourinho.

In fact Adams is much earlier to the job than Chris Hughton was when he took control of Newcastle. So stupid comment. Adams won the FA Youth Cup last season, an amazing achievement in an age when the top six or seven clubs are going out and paying a million quid for 15 year olds.

Quite right, he did a magnificent job there and I think he will make a top manager for us.

He is going to struggle early on and will undoubtedly make lots of mistakes as he learns his trade.Personally I would rather stick with someone who learns, makes changes and progresses in his trade, I foolishly hoped that Chris Hughton might have done this but unfortunately he did not.

Neil is a risk and the question is do we have the stomach to cope with his inevitable mistakes, I certainly do.

My heart says "Yes" but don''t know about my head yet...I thought Malky had a reputation for being as negative as Hughton? I get the impression that the Cardiff owner is the type to "dig in" over compensation etc too.Who else is realistic?

He shows all the leadership qualities you would want, a first class communicator too, both with players and media. In a short space of time he has got into the players heads and we are suddenly a joy to watch, becoming the darlings of the relegation fight.

Who knows if he would maintain performances in the long run, but if I should decide today then most definately. He''s been a breath of fresh air, I would even look forward to the championship under Adams.

At the risk of having my comments designated as stupid by Juggy, I would point out that the permanent promotion of NA to first team manager from running the U18''s could hardly be described as working his way through the ranks. I would not imagine that the given examples - Mourhino, Rogers and Hughton, ever took over as managers at the top level without having either coaching or AM experience at that level.

Having said that, I would be concerned by the red-hot bookies favourite who I am not so sure is much more astute than CH. This business about Malky being an ex-player who knows the club rings a bit like the support (which quickly evaporated) ahead of Gunny''s appointment.

So far Adams has done what the majority of people watching City this year wanted to see. Attacking football, can do attitude, and a bit of risk taking.The tactics have not been ''wrong'' or ''naive'' in my view- you set up how you want to play and need to be able to adjust that- CH never managed that and Adams did against Liverpool. Ferguson, Lambert, Mourinho, et al have displayed this to great effect- it doesn''t always work out and that is what makes football the great sport it is, sometimes tactics win out and sometimes just player ability is too much for any tactics to counter act.What we have seen in the last two matches is a glimmer of hope and a gradual improvement. Sure the second half against Fulham was not as good as the first but it was far from woeful- go back and watch it again then watch the cup game second half and tell me hand on heart which one was genuinely bad.Today''s first half was not good enough when the opposition are top of the league with players who will star at the world cup in a few weeks time and on a 10 game winning streak. That said- it would have been good enough to have been on top of at least half the other teams in this league this season. From the interview after the match I got the impression that it was more the implementation of the tactics that was a bit lacking than the tactics themselves. The response in the second half would seem to back that up. The majority of what I saw in the second half was a better version of the first half.I hope to see Adams display the ability to send out a different set of instructions in the coming weeks and get big performances and hopefully something from those games. Man U and Arsenal we may be best to approach the same way as Liverpool but Chelsea I don''t think so...So should Adams get the job? No. Not from what we have seen so far alone- but I would not rule him out and I would think that he will make a good manager in a few years time. I would not like to see him as the assistant manager to someone else, that would be very strange for all concerned, how do you go from top dog to number 2 and ever go back to the number 1 slot again? You''d have to move clubs. Also assistant manager is a different role altogether, if he is not about to be our manager I really hope he slots straight back into the youth team job, maybe taking control of the U21s as well.I am open to the idea of Adams as NCFC manager and in fact hope to see it one day, but it is too soon to say he should be the next NCFC manager.

[quote user="lowlyfendweller"]The fact he thinks Russell Martin is a premiership level CB concerns me.[/quote]Given that he''s an international level CB (on paper!) and the options he has I can get behind Russ being CB right now. If he were leaving out Turner in his place I''d be more concerned.