Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

Pace and power

So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.[/quote]Who says we are "on the same level" as Villa?I think if you asked any neutral, they would consider Aston Villa to be a much "bigger" club than we are.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.[/quote]

Did you see Villa against Liverpool at Anfield earlier this season?   They gave Liverpool the fright of their lives with the pace and power you describe.  That was not a surprise yesterday.  Benteke single handedly turned the match with that first goal and from that point onwards, with Villa having their tails up, we were always going to struggle.And for your other question, against Spurs we showed some pace and power of our own.  We are not the finished article yet, but we have the potential with the players we have to be quite a side to contend with, but with injuries, we are still up against a lack of continuity that is hampering progress.

I completely agree there Morty, but most of our own fans would disagree (see threads re PL leaving for a club the same). Whilst I agree that Villa are a much bigger club than we are, had we beaten them yesterday we''d be above them. That, to me anyway makes them one of our peers. League position alone, not stadium size, fan base and history. Are we really lucky to be scrapping around on their level, or are they massively underachieving?

Re the fact that they gave Liverpool a fright, then we should be aware of what they can do, and prepare accordingly. We were terrible yesterday (first 20 minutes aside).

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]I completely agree there Morty, but most of our own fans would disagree (see threads re PL leaving for a club the same). Whilst I agree that Villa are a much bigger club than we are, had we beaten them yesterday we''d be above them. That, to me anyway makes them one of our peers. League position alone, not stadium size, fan base and history. Are we really lucky to be scrapping around on their level, or are they massively underachieving?

Re the fact that they gave Liverpool a fright, then we should be aware of what they can do, and prepare accordingly. We were terrible yesterday (first 20 minutes aside).[/quote]I think, in reality, they have been under achieving for about 3 seasons now, again trying to be neutral, you would call them a top ten side.And in reality we''re not at that level yet.We''re crap away from home, and we lost two of our best performers from the previous week, take the emotion out of it, and the result really isn''t a massive surprise, however disappointing it is.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Buzz Killington"]So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.[/quote]Who says we are "on the same level" as Villa?I think if you asked any neutral, they would consider Aston Villa to be a much "bigger" club than we are.[/quote]Half the clubs in the Championship and a couple in League 1 are seen as bigger clubs than City , that doesnt mean you wouldnt expect to beat them. Villa have been dire at home all season and they wiped the floor with us in about 10 minutes . Time to wake up Morty .

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Buzz Killington"]So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.[/quote]Who says we are "on the same level" as Villa?I think if you asked any neutral, they would consider Aston Villa to be a much "bigger" club than we are.[/quote]Half the clubs in the Championship and a couple in League 1 are seen as bigger clubs than City , that doesnt mean you wouldnt expect to beat them. Villa have been dire at home all season and they wiped the floor with us in about 10 minutes . Time to wake up Morty .[/quote]So you are saying 100% you expected us to beat Villa yesterday?Really?Not me that needs to wake up fella....

I was really hopeful that we had turned the corner and could pick up a result yesterday. Sadly not, but I thought we were excellent pretty much up to Benteke''s first goal. But what I didn''t understand is how we seemed capable of completely imploding just in the face of that one incident. Resiliency seems very low and confidence really brittle. I was hoping for a good response, even after the second but psychologically we were shot. Not sure what is going on with the mental side- I''ve long felt this is a major factor in our performances the last two seasons.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.[/quote]I don''t think it''s just a question of pace and power, but the managerial mentality and willingness to use those attributes. Villa''s third goal - which ended the game as a contest - being a good example. We lose the ball on the edge in the Villa penalty area and four passes later Villa have five players, including the goalscorer, in our penalty area.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Buzz Killington"]So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.[/quote]I don''t think it''s just a question of pace and power, but the managerial mentality and willingness to use those attributes. Villa''s third goal - which ended the game as a contest - being a good example. We lose the ball on the edge in the Villa penalty area and four passes later Villa have five players, including the goalscorer, in our penalty area.[/quote]So thats not about pace then?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Buzz Killington"]So villas pace and power we''re too much for us to handle. I understand they have some pacey and powerful players. But they''re not exactly setting the premier league alight. I was already worried about relegation, but the fact the we can be so outclassed by a team supposedly on the same level as us is a huge issue. I can''t remember the last time we played anyone and they came away saying that we out paced them, or we''re too powerful. Or both.[/quote]I don''t think it''s just a question of pace and power, but the managerial mentality and willingness to use those attributes. Villa''s third goal - which ended the game as a contest - being a good example. We lose the ball on the edge in the Villa penalty area and four passes later Villa have five players, including the goalscorer, in our penalty area.[/quote]So thats not about pace then?[/quote]

I think we certainly did lack power yesterday. When the team was announced I thought to myself that this must be the smallest team we''ve put out in a long, long while and I was worried that we might suffer when Villa put balls into our box.

Joseph Yobo has been excellent for us up until yesterday, but I really think we could have done with Ryan Bennet instead of him yesterday. In the game at Carrow Road at the end of last season Bennet absolutely dominated Benteke in the air and it''s very rarely that that happens. Bassong was our biggest defender yesterday, but he''s a good 3 inches shorter than Benteke and that told for their crucial second goal.

Also of course we replaced the injured Fer with Wes. Fer is a great asset in the air in both boxes and that was one of the aspects of his game that we missed yesterday.