Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Stoke Starting line up

Well it''s probably best to forget yeterday ever happened (for me both the football and monster hangover I deservedly endured after embarrasing myself again on Saturday night!) so moving on:

Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Yobo, Olsson, Snodgrass, Tettey, Howson, Jonas, Redmond, Hooper.

Redmond free role behind Hooper

I am a huge fan of Bassong, but wouldnt have a huge problem with him having a rest, although not sure what impact that would have on the team behind the scenes. For me, as long as we can field a midfield "unit" of three that excludes Wes then I will be reasonably happy as it should be clear to everyone that we seem stronger over 90 minutes with that unit in place, consequently I am totally opposed to Johnson not starting if Fer isnt fit as he is actually a key component of that midfield unit and we will need his strength against a still physical Stoke outfit. 

As I''ve said on another thread our team yesterday was actually very small. You can get away with this against some teams, but Stoke definitely aren''t one of them.

For that reason I''d start with Bennett and Bassong in central defence.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that Jonas would be out until the end of March - could be wrong.

Hooper              SnodgrassPilks Howson Tettey RedmondOlsson Bennett Yobo Whittaker                Ruddy

why would anyone with a brain drop Yobo but keep Bassong in. Yobo has been excellent since he joined, Bassong on the other hand is getting worse week by week.

I''ve praised Yobo highly for his performances so far, but his strength isn''t in winning aerial and physical battles with big centre forwards - as we saw yesterday. Bassong has actually played pretty well in recent weeks (obviously he didn''t yesterday) and for the challenge of a team like Stoke complete with Peter Crouch I''d sooner have the more physical Bennett and Bassong in central defence - especially if the rest of our team is pretty small as well.

My thinking for taking yobo out is because he has a game wednesday night in Mexico or somewhere. I agree hes been much better than Bassong, so have Turner & Bennett.

Depends who is fit.Ruddy has sat out training with England today, and Snoddy has pulled out of the Scotland squad.

I''d give Snoddy the free role behind Hooper rather than Redmond.
He looks so much better when he''s coming inside, so give him the freedom to use the whole pitch. He covers enough ground for it.

I agree. Hughton has tried a lot of things, but I don''t know why he hasn''t tried Snoddy in the hole/number 10 role. Or Pilks for that matter. Both have a good eye for goal.

[quote user="SooperHooper"]I would go:

Ruddy

Whittaker Bassong Bennett Olsson

Snodgrass Johnson Tettey Pilkington

Howson

RVW[/quote]How anyone can pick Bassong after yesterday is beyond me - total liability & has been most of the season.And what exactly did Pilkington do in 45 minutes yesterday to even warrant being on the bench again let alone in the starting 11.

Because Redmond was so good yesterday. Did he take on his man once ? Needs a rest in my eyes, crossing has been terrible of late, maybe time for Pilks to show what he used to do.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="SooperHooper"]I would go:

Ruddy

Howson

RVW[/quote]How anyone can pick Bassong after yesterday is beyond me - total liability & has been most of the season.And what exactly did Pilkington do in 45 minutes yesterday to even warrant being on the bench again let alone in the starting 11.[/quote]
What exactly has Redmond done to help us win a game since his goal against Southampton?
What exactly was Snodgrass doing in the 15 or so games he''s been very poor in this season?
What exactly has Hooper done recently to deserve a place in the team? Or RVW, or Elmander, or Becchio? Perhaps we should just play no wingers or forwards....

Play everybody who has not been getting a game , cannot be anymore gutless than yesterdays lot . Sadly untill Hughton goes nothing will get better , sadly it looks like his sorry arse is going to survive another humiliation .

The problem is that we have to pick 11 players and as awful as Villa was, we were good versus Spurs. Admittedly the forwards are all rubbish at the moment but we have to pick at least one really. I''d like to see Redmond in a free role, as he has pace and skill that could really cause a slow stoke defence problems and open up gaps for Snoddy and Pilks (if Jonas is still out) to exploit.

Hoolahan drifts in and out of games too much, not what we need right now. I''d like to see Howson back in the side and Tettey is an automatic choice especially with Fer out and given Johnno went back to having a stinker versus Villa.

Bassong was clearly tired versus Villa after a big effort versus Spurs and it''s time to see what Yobo and Bennett can do together. Olsson has been our best player this season and Martin has the beating of Whittaker as well.

I could think of reasons why most of them shouldn''t play but that would be my 11 as we''re not exactly spoilt for choice at the moment

RuddyMartin, Bennett, Yobo, GarridoJonas (if fit) Tettey, Howson Pilkington                    Redmond                     Hooper

I would agree with Redmond, I also agree that his crossing is s*it so put him in a position where he wont, but where he can run at players and force the oppostion centre halves to either commit and leave space in behind or to drop off and give us room to play in the centre. I can imagine stoke giving a fair few free kicks away if going in on redmond trying to slow him down and the space that could be exploited behind will allow Hooper to play off the shoulder as opposed to sitting with a defender on his back and looking for a midfield runner that is seldom there. Pilkington and Jonas would give us width as well although I admit Pilks didn''t cover himself with glory yesterday. I have no place for Johnson and if it was my choice he wouldn''t be in the county let alone squad...

Oh and Olsson has pulled out of the Swedish squad.Could be a pretty thin bunch to pick from next weekend.[:(]

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="SooperHooper"]I would go:

Ruddy

Howson

RVW[/quote]How anyone can pick Bassong after yesterday is beyond me - total liability & has been most of the season.And what exactly did Pilkington do in 45 minutes yesterday to even warrant being on the bench again let alone in the starting 11.[/quote]
What exactly has Redmond done to help us win a game since his goal against Southampton?
What exactly was Snodgrass doing in the 15 or so games he''s been very poor in this season?
What exactly has Hooper done recently to deserve a place in the team? Or RVW, or Elmander, or Becchio? Perhaps we should just play no wingers or forwards....
[/quote]
CH has done this most of the season with the 1-10 formation right?

[quote user="morty"]Oh and Olsson has pulled out of the Swedish squad.Could be a pretty thin bunch to pick from next weekend.[:(][/quote]

Morty I think you are a bit off. Snoddy and Olsson withdraw in is probably nothing. I could of course be wrong, but have you not noticed the amount of players normally from the top clubs who withdraw but then play for their club the following weekend.

GK. Ruddy

LB. Olsson

CB. Bennett

CB. Yobo

RB. Martin

DM. Bradders

DM. Fer (if fit) Howson (if he isn''t)

CM. Hoolahan (c)

AMR. Snoddy

AML. Pilks

ST. Hooper

Olsson is due surgery in Summer. He''ll be fine for us until then.

As tempting as it is to drop Snoddy, he''s the one player at the moment who really produces the goods when we need him most. I''d have to give him a go, especially at home. Perhaps next away day i''d consider dropping him though.

I would very much like to see Howson back. Be nice if Fer is fit too.

I''m not sure about the defence but I''m leaning towards an unchanged line up. We are generally a bit more solid at home, we''ve kept 4 consecutive clean sheets at home and the current back 5 have been responsible for the last 2 of those against Man City and Spurs. If I was going to make a change it''d be Whittaker for Martin, mainly to give us a little more quality in the final third.

Pilks for Redmond too. If Pilks is still capable of finding the desire to play for us.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="morty"]Oh and Olsson has pulled out of the Swedish squad.Could be a pretty thin bunch to pick from next weekend.[:(][/quote]

Morty I think you are a bit off. Snoddy and Olsson withdraw in is probably nothing. I could of course be wrong, but have you not noticed the amount of players normally from the top clubs who withdraw but then play for their club the following weekend.[/quote]
Yes, obviously I wasnt panic mongering.
But it is a concern.

Ruddy

Martin (c) Bennett Yobo Olsson

Snodgrass Tettey Howson Redmond

Hooper RVW

If Fer''s fit, I''d start him in the number 10 role behind Hooper – if not, I''d start Hoop and RVW together. RVW had his best game in a while against Spurs, and Hooper is good at coming a bit deeper and initiating one-touch link-up play.

I wouldn''t be surprised if this ''slight knock'' magically cleared up by Saturday... :)

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]I wouldn''t be surprised if this ''slight knock'' magically cleared up by Saturday... :)[/quote]
Hopefully[Y]

physioroom.com show the following;

J Yobo Muscle Injury no return date

M Olsson Shoulder Injury no return date

R Snodgrass Thumb/Wrist Injury no return date

R Van Wolfswinkel Knee Injury no return date

L Fer Hamstring Injury no return date

J Gutierrez Calf/Shin Injury 8th Mar 14

M Turner Hamstring Injury 15th Mar 14

E Bennett Knee Injury 29th Mar 14

Plus Internationals to come.

Think I''ll take my boots Saturday!!