Sign in to follow this  
LostTheFaith

An inners viewpoint ......

My views make me an inner. I do not know why because if the manager was failing I would sack him tomorrow but at the moment he is not.

Last years 11th place finish can only be regarded as an unmitigated success yet many ignore the fact that it is our second best finish and give no credit to Hoots.

This year we are on track for 38 to 40 points and should stay up. Staying up is his minimum requirement to have another season at it next year. I am dead against getting rid of managers when the going gets tough. We have to give this guy the opportunity to build over a few years.

When we play well we are bloody good but we need more consistent players and that takes money and time to develop. We cannot afford quick fixes and throw huge money at star players.

After a run of games playing well we stumbled yesterday. Missed Fer. Hoolahoops is just too lightweight for the PL and was out of his depth yesterday for a lot of the match.

I expect normal service to resume next week and another 3 points towards staying up and maybe 12th place.

OTBC

"I expect normal service to resume next week and another 3 points towards staying up and maybe 12th place"

What makes you so sure of that? I am sorry , but I don''t understand how fans can take this for granted, we lost to Fulham at home for God''s sake! Where are the goals going to come from? Keep The Faith if you can , but I can''t see us winning any game with certainty like you can...

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]My views make me an inner. I do not know why because if the manager was failing I would sack him tomorrow but at the moment he is not. Last years 11th place finish can only be regarded as an unmitigated success yet many ignore the fact that it is our second best finish and give no credit to Hoots. This year we are on track for 38 to 40 points and should stay up. Staying up is his minimum requirement to have another season at it next year. I am dead against getting rid of managers when the going gets tough. We have to give this guy the opportunity to build over a few years. When we play well we are bloody good but we need more consistent players and that takes money and time to develop. We cannot afford quick fixes and throw huge money at star players. After a run of games playing well we stumbled yesterday. Missed Fer. Hoolahoops is just too lightweight for the PL and was out of his depth yesterday for a lot of the match. I expect normal service to resume next week and another 3 points towards staying up and maybe 12th place. OTBC[/quote]

I wish I had your faith (blind?) so although I fear the worse I still hope you can say ''told you so'' to me later.

Brilliant post, couldn''t agree more. Although at times it is hard to see reason, especially after a game like yesterday. Us fans have got to keep our heads just the like board have done.

Our home form is great and will keep us up. My only worry is losing key players which has hampered us all season.

My faith is not blind. We are on course to stay up. It will not be easy and hoots may well be gone within the next 3 or 4 matches but we are good enough on our day to compete with most anyone.

Yesterday was not our day. Hoolahan an should never play for us again.

You are right KTF. The manager is not failing, he is fighting, as are the players, to get us to improve.  The Spurs match was a terrific occasion, not matched yesterday, but you can''t win them all.  It is good to be positive, but the three points are not going to be given us on a plate by Stoke. We will need another performance like the last home game to get anything from it.  Its going to be tough battle right to the end of the season. 

We have to stick with Hughton until the end of the season, sacking him now would be suicide. But unless the style and quality of performances improves drastically, coupled with an excellent run of results, I simply can''t see how he''s the right person to take us forward in the long term. I really don''t enjoy watching the team under Hughton, and I would hope that the board would see the summer as a good opportunity to make a change, giving the new guy the maximum amount of time possible to set the team and squad up in his own image.

I hate the short-termism of boards in general, and agree in principle with giving managers time and trying to build a ''dynasty'' around them. However, I pay £500 a year for my season ticket, and I would prefer to be entertained. Even though I''ve renewed already, it really isn''t great value for money when the product on offer is so mediocre.

You are clearly expecting a warm reception posting that............I agree with most of what you say, but right now even the most loyal inner should be maybe just a slightly bit worried. This season is even more scary than the last two seasons and will most certainly continue like this right up until the end........not just for our team but several others too and that 38/40 point target is challenging. The problem we have is that this apparently ever increasing minority of "outers" do seem to have lost sight of what league we are playing in, which teams we are playing against and what expectations we should  have, . That said, last nights capitulation was certainly beyond the expectations of everyone when considering the more recent performances and was unacceptable.  As for Wes........myself and a few others have said it on other threads, but his non celebration for the goal was pathetic, and contrary to what some are saying, even acknowledging his goal and accepting he almost scored a second.........his overal team performance was concerning, he seemed to be trying to look flash when he should have been part of the midfield unit and in my humble opinion was the main reason we got over run in that crucial section of the match thus cancelling out the goal he scored several times over.......of course a shocker in particular from Bass didnt help either.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]But we are a mediocre club!!!

That''s not happy flappy but realistic. We do not have the money or pulling power to be anything but .[/quote][Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="KeepTheFaith"]But we are a mediocre club!!!

That''s not happy flappy but realistic. We do not have the money or pulling power to be anything but .[/quote][Y][/quote]

Agree to an extent. But Hughton''s inability to keep any kind of consistency in our performances is hugely worrying. And as per usual literally has no idea what subs to make.

Lake of consistency is more down tot he players than the manager.

You pay a fortune for consistency .

You pay even more for a bit o luck!

Yep but who manages those players?

You don''t have to pay a fortune for a small amount of consistency. We managed it last season for a run.

I agree the players haven''t performed but the same can be said for the manager.

It''s very easy to make excuses because we''re not a big club in the Premier League - but our away performances this season have been nothing short of abysmal. We cave in ridiculously easy under minor pressure and that''s a huge cause for concern.

Hughton might well keep us up - but i don''t think we''ll really look back on this season with much fondness.

We''ve had some good results, look at Spurs and Man City at home recently. The problem is, good performances are too few - we''ve played beneath our ability this season more often and not - it''s a shame.

[quote user="lake district canary"]You are right KTF. The manager is not failing, he is fighting, as are the players, to get us to improve.  The Spurs match was a terrific occasion, not matched yesterday, but you can''t win them all.  It is good to be positive, but the three points are not going to be given us on a plate by Stoke. We will need another performance like the last home game to get anything from it.  Its going to be tough battle right to the end of the season. 

[/quote]Don''t deny the manager is fighting, if he wasn''t then he would of gone a long time ago by hook or crook, however, are the players fighting as hard as they could? are they good enough? or are they just naive?

There''s massive sways in mood each week. After we drew with Citeh and beat Spurs the performances suggested we could get the required points and the players were good enough. After we lost to West Ham and Villa the performances suggested we''d not get the required points and the players were not good enough. I said last week that I thought we''d survive but we''d win some we weren''t expected to win and lose some we were expected to win. I base that on Hughton''s record as a whole and not just the last game.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]My views make me an inner. I do not know why because if the manager was failing I would sack him tomorrow but at the moment he is not.

Last years 11th place finish can only be regarded as an unmitigated success yet many ignore the fact that it is our second best finish and give no credit to Hoots.

This year we are on track for 38 to 40 points and should stay up. Staying up is his minimum requirement to have another season at it next year. I am dead against getting rid of managers when the going gets tough. We have to give this guy the opportunity to build over a few years.

When we play well we are bloody good but we need more consistent players and that takes money and time to develop. We cannot afford quick fixes and throw huge money at star players.

After a run of games playing well we stumbled yesterday. Missed Fer. Hoolahoops is just too lightweight for the PL and was out of his depth yesterday for a lot of the match.

I expect normal service to resume next week and another 3 points towards staying up and maybe 12th place.

OTBC[/quote]
The case for Hughton rests on two facts. Firstly, that we did indeed finish 11th last season. Precisely where we were placed in the player-wages league table is a question but even if it wasn''t 20th it will certainly have been in the bottom three or four. So purely by that measure (which needs to be viewed very cautiously and in context) he easily outperformed the market. Secondly, that he has kept us out of the bottom three.The factual case against Hughton is that this season he has, for no obvious reason outside his control, markedly underperformed compared with last season. Despite financial and other circumstances at least as favourable as those applying last season we are on course to finish with six fewer points - 38 points rather than 44.

Interesting view - but a major concern for me was Hoolahan. I don''t condone his actions in not celebrating, but to me it showed how little Hughton knows about the mindset of his players.

If Hoolahan did not want to celebrate with the team - he shouldn''t have been in the team! In my opinion he made a fool of Hughton, and heaped more pressure on a "lame duck" manager.

Given the spineless lack of leadership in the team, selling Grant is looking more and more like bad business. Interested to hear an "Inners" view on this.

Holt is a Norwich legend but last season he was not up for it and we were right to let him go.

Hoolahan spat his dummy out like a spoilt child. Stick him in the reserves. He''s too lightweight for the PL anyways.

OTBC

FCC, you dont have to be an "inner" to reply to your two questions surely. Just what could Hughton do, I understand that Howson was not considered fit enough to start and he was without Fer, plus Guiterez is injured and Pilks only just back........seems his only option was Wes.....who actually made a fool of himself and probably lessened the number of games he will play until the end of the season....I hope its zero.

As for selling Grant Holt, everyone will certainly not under estimate what he did for our club.....but very few will disagree that it was the right time for him to move on as his time at Wigan proved plus he isnt exactly pulling up trees at Villa  is he.............its time the "onner" and "outer" cr@p was stopped, surely we are all just City supporters with different views..........you see I dont actually clas myself as an Inner" or an "outer" but have been a supporter of our great club now for over 45 years, and throughout that time have never found the need to abuse one of our Manager''s, glad to see one or two go though..........    

Any view welcomed Mark, and I take your point with Wes. Only option would have been to perhaps play someone out of position - which would have got the manager slaughtered as we would all have clammered for Wes.

I think Grant offered leadership, irrespective of his goal scoring - which must at least have been on a par with his replacements.

I don''t agree with abusing the manager, but nor do I believe it is unacceptable to voice concerns if I have them. At the game I enjoy the discussing the differing views - which are usually more good natured and humorous than most posts on here - mine included.

Thanks for the response.

I will always regard Holty as a legend. But I think he left his best days here. When he came on yesterday I was afraid that he would inflict further misery on us. But my fears were unfounded and I found myself wishing he''d started instead of Benteke.

Define failure though. McNally stated earlier in the season we were looking towards mid table. Personally I thought an improvement on last season either in terms of league position and/or style of play was the next reasonable step for us. Perhaps an 11th place finish without the spectre of relegation for a large part of the season and the help of an "on the beach" West Brom and Man City. Against all these targets Hughton has failed.

Now the board seem to have the short term target of being outside of the relegation zone. Currently, with teams below us having games in hand, its very close to being mathematically reliant on other teams results. And regardless of what people say about our chances in the last 4 games, we certainly cant rely on getting points from any of those games. My fear is that Hughton just manages to keep us out of the bottom 3 and it all goes wrong in the last 4 games. IMO the board has created this situation through not being more decisive earlier in the season. I agreed with Wiz''s prophecy (Beating West Ham could relegate us), I just hope to be proven wrong.