Sign in to follow this  
Ketts Rebel

Grant Holt

I could not go to the game yesterday. I was interested to hear from those who went - or those who know.... what reception did Grant get from our fans...and did he acknowledge them in return ?

He had no chance for a proper goodbye when he left, so I was hoping that this first contact went well, even though the result did not.

I didn''t go yesterday either. Just can''t justify shelling out £100+ for Hughton''s brand of tepid, uninspiring football at the moment.
The reception Holt got was a good one from our fans. I think that was the least he deserved.

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]Good news. One positive from yesterday then.[/quote]

sure was......... plenty of we f$$$ing love grant x10 lol

I saw the game on Sky, I could hear WFLGH as he came on, my dad went to the game, he said Holty came over at the end (also that it was the loudest cheer of the day when he came on).

Grant Holt is my favourite ever norwich player and as far as i am concerned no other player has made a bigger impact at our club , But part of me was glad to see him looking slow and past it in villa colours [:)]

Pleased that Holty got a good reception from our fans - he certainly deserves it.

But - wasn''t he totally gash when he came on? Kicked a ball that he should have controlled straight into touch and then fell over the ball in the centre circle to give Howson the ball to put Hooper clean through on goal. And to think that lots of posters were lining up on here a few weeks ago to tell us it was absolutely "certain" that he would come on and score the winner against us.

We let him go at precisely the right time.

I think it helped that the game was effectively over when he came on. He''s there as cover and is useful foil to them when they are trying to defend a lead. When they have Benteke scoring, they can cope with someone like Holty working hard but not scoring.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]

We let him go at precisely the right time.[/quote]But the question is, would he have scored more goals this season than the combined total (i.e. 6) of Hooper, RVW, Elmander & Becchio.The answer is probably

Making Plans - if you look at the evidence then the answer is probably not.

He''s only managed to score two goals in the Championship and they were back in August. If he can only score two goals in the season so far in the Championship then why on earth would anyone believe that he could score more than 6 goals in the Premier League.

As Mr. Spock would say - totally illogical.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I think it helped that the game was effectively over when he came on. He''s there as cover and is useful foil to them when they are trying to defend a lead. When they have Benteke scoring, they can cope with someone like Holty working hard but not scoring.[/quote]Think that''s true. I''ve read that Benteke has been suffering from injuries recently as well so having Holt to come on to cover for 15-20 minutes at the end of a game that is effectively over will allow him to maintain fitness. I think there''s also a case for Holt providing a good role model for Benteke in developing his game as a young player and making sure he makes the most of his abilities. There''s one thing you could say for Holt he put in a damn consistent level of performance for us for a man who had no pace, couldn''t score from outside the six yard box and took until October to get match fit. If Benteke can learn even half of what Holt has picked up during his career they''ll have a great striker there.