Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

The Spurs and Villa Matches, are we now in a better position?

Having 3 more points on the board despite another embarrassing loss to Villa, I think we are definately better off now than we were. If we can just pull together now, rally behind the team. It''s too late to change any personnel including players and manager.

You can now get 3-1 on us to be relegated compared with last week when we were near evens.

Agree. And I think most reasonable people would have been happy with 3 points from the past two games, wouldn''t they?

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Agree. And I think most reasonable people would have been happy with 3 points from the past two games, wouldn''t they?[/quote][Y]

We just have to hope that yesterday hasn''t upset the players too much. From experience this season, one of the few things we''ve been good at is following up a bad day at the office with a good one.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Having 3 more points on the board despite another embarrassing loss to Villa, I think we are definately better off now than we were. If we can just pull together now, rally behind the team. It''s too late to change any personnel including players and manager. You can now get 3-1 on us to be relegated compared with last week when we were near evens.[/quote]

But you haven''t factored in the Cardiff/West Ham defeats Mr Jimmy, 6 points thrown away in my opinion.

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Having 3 more points on the board despite another embarrassing loss to Villa, I think we are definately better off now than we were. If we can just pull together now, rally behind the team. It''s too late to change any personnel including players and manager. You can now get 3-1 on us to be relegated compared with last week when we were near evens.[/quote]

But you haven''t factored in the Cardiff/West Ham defeats Mr Jimmy, 6 points thrown away in my opinion.[/quote]

We were beaten. It happens. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

But you haven''t factored in the Cardiff/West Ham defeats Mr Jimmy, 6 points thrown away in my opinion.[/quote]

We were beaten. It happens. 

[/quote]You''re far too blase about this.  It wouldn''t matter if it was Man U or Chelsea - but Cardiff and West Ham are our direct rivals.  Get your head out of the sand for heavens sake man.

[quote user="lake district canary"][We were beaten. It happens. 

[/quote]Easily satisfied.I suppose  I''ll be accused of imagining and twisting/making that up too.......

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][We were beaten. It happens. 

[/quote]Easily satisfied.I suppose  I''ll be accused of imagining and twisting/making that up too.......[/quote]Well you do, on a regular basis, throw up broad sweeping statements that you can''t actually back up....

The OP makes a good point. Very few expected us to beat Spurs and would have settled for a point before the game. If we had have drawn with Spurs and then followed up with a point at Villa Park most would have settled for that. As it happened, we got three points from the two games instead of the two we would have had if they were both drawn.2 draws = 2 points....most people reasonably happy.1 win - 1 defeat = 3 points....Hughton out! [:$]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][We were beaten. It happens. 

[/quote]Easily satisfied.I suppose  I''ll be accused of imagining and twisting/making that up too.......[/quote]Well you do, on a regular basis, throw up broad sweeping statements that you can''t actually back up....[/quote]In what was was I making a broad sweeping statement without evidence, Morty ?It was a direct quote from what the man himself posted !Just please get a grip and deal in the real world, rather than some fantasy in which you imagine that people are inventing stuff just to spite you. Though we have our spats, you are better than that.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"][We were beaten. It happens.  [/quote]Easily satisfied.I suppose  I''ll be accused of imagining and twisting/making that up too.......[/quote]

Where on earth does "We were beaten. It happens." translate into "easily satisfied" ?

The impact of this defeat and the Cardiff defeat is unknown until the three teams below us have played their games in hand.

Technically if results go against us we could end up in the relegation zone. Palace, West Brom and Sunderland all have enough games in hand to go above us if they capitalise.

Agreed Swindon, although the 15 odd minutes were truly horrible!

Given the choice, I''d have preferred the 3pts (the win and defeat) the other way around, and then we''d still be level on points with Villa. Though, of course, It would have been pretty unbearable had we lost to Spurs, and CH may have been without a job.

10 games and 10 points for survival. Looking at the 6 games coming up, we picked up 11 points from the corresponding fixtures earlier in the season (including 7 from Stoke, Sunderland and WBA away). Hopefully, no more injuries and some form, and i think we''ll just about be ok.

I think it''s highly likely that one of WBA, Sunderland or Palace will end up with 37 points or less. I am taking it for granted that Fulham and Cardiff will get less, as they''ll need "play-off" form from now on in.

Le Judge, both Sunderland and WBA can not go above us, as the game WBA have in hand is actually against Sunderland. Sunderland''s other game in hand is away to Manchester City! No permutation of results could put them both above us.

Many had us down for two defeats, so yes three points is a better position, an average of 1.5 points per game, keep that up and we will survive.....win Saturday and its game on again.......I am actually quite enjoying this season in a strange sort of way..........

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Agree. And I think most reasonable people would have been happy with 3 points from the past two games, wouldn''t they?[/quote]

Unfortunately, it''s the three poor results against West Ham, Cardiff and Villa that other reasonable people would be unhappy with.

And of course the third worst goal difference in the league. That''s another point we need.

And hopefully equally happy with West Brom and Stoke away.

It has been a frustratingly inconsistent season, but par for the course for a club like ours in a league like this.

March fixtures may ultimately provide the final shape to our season and if we can do the double over the above two I think we may just scrape through.

Then reassess at the end of the season.

Serious question? Why do people get so infuriated when we lose to our "direct rivals"? Of course it''s going to happen sometimes, just as sometimes they''ll lose to us. If we beat them every time, they wouldn''t be direct rivals, they''d be lesser teams. Have I missed something?

[quote user="splutcho"]Serious question? Why do people get so infuriated when we lose to our "direct rivals"? Of course it''s going to happen sometimes, just as sometimes they''ll lose to us. If we beat them every time, they wouldn''t be direct rivals, they''d be lesser teams. Have I missed something?[/quote]
I don''t think a direct rival beating us twice in one season is some times - Villa twice, and Fulham twice drawing once so far. We have also failed to beat Cardiff, losing once, and Sunderland so far. I think if you check, we have lost to more than we have beaten.
Won: West Ham, Hull, Stoke, Crystal Palace, West Brom.
Drawn: Swansea, Palace, Sunderland, Cardiff.
Lost: West Ham, A. Villa x2, Hull, Cardiff, Fulham x2.
I make that 5 wins against direct rivals, 4 draws, and 7 defeats.
Surely this constitutes as more than ''sometimes'' but ''more often than not''?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Where on earth does "We were beaten. It happens." translate into "easily satisfied" ?

[/quote]Oh dear. Does not that sentence encapsulate everything about you Lakey? And the fact I need to spell it out.?"We were beaten . It happens".Do you suppose those were words used by Sir Alex in one of his notorious hair dryer sessions ? Or Roy Keane , on the pitch  in the same match ? Or Jose Mourinho in Champs Lge games for Chelsea, Real and Inter ? Or Guardiola /Messi at the Nou Camp during the best years ? Or Paul Lambert during our 3 glory years?I can''t see it, can you ?. And do you know why ? Because they are all winners. People for whom second best was not an option. People who are not easily satisfied.Unlike you.

Dubai Mark wrote the following post at 03/03/2014 7:40 PM:

Many had us down for two defeats, so yes three points is a better position, an average of 1.5 points per game, keep that up and we will survive.....win Saturday and its game on again.......I am actually quite enjoying this season in a strange sort of way..........

You know Mark, I am glad you posted this because I feel exactly the same way. There have been a number of threads discussing where we were or were not going pick up points in this part of the season, and not many had us getting anything from the last 2 games. Three points is a good return from those 2.

I am also enjoying the season, admittedly It have not been away much this year, but I''ve enjoyed Carrow Road. With Norwich ATM you never know what''s going happen next, perhaps it''s a bit too much for some people but I enjoy it!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="lake district canary"]Where on earth does "We were beaten. It happens." translate into "easily satisfied" ?[/quote]Oh dear. Does not that sentence encapsulate everything about you Lakey? And the fact I need to spell it out.?"We were beaten . It happens".Do you suppose those were words used by Sir Alex in one of his notorious hair dryer sessions ? Or Roy Keane , on the pitch  in the same match ? Or Jose Mourinho in Champs Lge games for Chelsea, Real and Inter ? Or Guardiola /Messi at the Nou Camp during the best years ? Or Paul Lambert during our 3 glory years?I can''t see it, can you ?. And do you know why ? Because they are all winners. People for whom second best was not an option. People who are not easily satisfied.Unlike you.[/quote]

You have a lot to say for yourself Reg, but understand little, it seems.  You read into things stuff that just isn''t there!!!

[quote user="lake district canary"]You have a lot to say for yourself Reg, but understand little, it seems.  You read into things stuff that just isn''t there!!!

[/quote]
Or maybe like many of us, he doesn''t settle for second best, and half assed applied effort from the team he supports. You and co. however just shrug your shoulders and say these things happen. Do you think when the opposition beat us ''things just happen'' for them, or they show the kind of winners mentality we used to be so proud of?
Think about it.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

You have a lot to say for yourself Reg, but understand little, it seems.  You read into things stuff that just isn''t there!!!

[/quote]Lakey. You berating someone for having too much to say for themselves is a bit like Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise berating a current player for being too rough and ready on the pitch . Ironic doesn''t even begin to cover it .In what way have I misunderstood  ''We were beaten. It happens''.  ? Unusually for you, it''s short, succinct and to the point. Understood perfectly. No need for any reading between the lines on this occasion. And certainly no need to invent anything that was not there.The words, as Seattle says above ,of a man who is easily satisfied.

[quote user="lappinitup"]The OP makes a good point. Very few expected us to beat Spurs and would have settled for a point before the game. If we had have drawn with Spurs and then followed up with a point at Villa Park most would have settled for that. As it happened, we got three points from the two games instead of the two we would have had if they were both drawn.2 draws = 2 points....most people reasonably happy.1 win - 1 defeat = 3 points....Hughton out! [:$]

[/quote]I am perhaps an optomist or drive a hard deal but I was and maybe others were too hoping for 4 points out of those 2 games. Admittedly we aren''t far off that but I genuinely hoped that having drawn against a "stronger team" in the division then we would have the ability and cconfidence to turn over villa. Especially when we held off Man City as well. It seems a little 1 step forward 2 steps back. But could of got 2 points as you say or 0.