Sign in to follow this  
pete

This time last year

According to my research we had 32 points. 3 points before 10 game run which yeilded 22 points and 7 points until 9th March. A win on Saturday will take us to 31 not too much difference. And with 2 winnable home games to come and Swansea away (won last 2 there) plus Fulham away who may be doomed by then. Some hope for the future must beat Stoke however.

IMO, the two losses against Cardiff & Fulham is the difference between relative comfort and where we are now.

Very true, we are not badly placed to avoid relegation.

Last year our form stuttered tho'' and we flirted too close to the drop zone in March.  From memory there was one real moment of concern when we lost (was it to Villa) and Wigan were 3 points behind us with a game in hand.  Fortunately they lost their game in hand which was their mid-week defeat to Swansea where they blew it after being in front.  And it ended up that we could have lost our final two games and still been safe, even though we actually won them both.

I''m sure we all wanted and expected to be more comfortably safe this year, but at the same time there are masses of teams packed between 24 points and 31 points in the league at the moment, pretty sure most of those teams have fans feeling exactly the same way.

I think the above post about the defeats from Fulham and Cardiff being the difference between comfortable right now and worried is spot on. Win those games and we are well on the way to being safe.

It makes the coming games against the likes of Stoke, WBA and Sunderland even more vital. These have become must-win games, because if we can get 9 points out of those and the odd draw in other games such as Southampton and Swansea, we will be safe and those last 5 games (including Fulham for a reason!) won''t matter.

I agree with ICF above. The other teams around us are there for a reason just as much as we are and the lines are very fine. I don''t see why we are any more likely to go down than any of the other bottom few teams.

I wouldn''t stake my house or my livelihood on us avoiding the drop, but I do thingk there are plenty of other teams have just as much cause for concern as we do. I also think people are fixated far too much on the ''likelihood'' of getting zero points from the last four (or five!!) games, as if football is that predictable!

We also had 6 points from Arsenal & Man U at home last season at this point which we don''t have this year so really not too bad.

Win our next three home game, a cheeky win in the next three away and then who knows what will happen during our last 4 games. We will have a say in the top four positions.