Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Duncan's Day

After 5 minutes I''m going to sing ''Six foot two, eye''s of blue, Duncan Forbes is after you'', I hope everyone else joins in.

This is really fantastic news and I hope they raise a fantastic sum to help the great Duncan Forbes. I actually got a little emotional (silly old fool) just reading about it, my older brother unfortunately has very advanced Parkinson''s and like Ahlzheimer''s I would wish wish it on my worst enemy, really wouldnt....but I genuinely wish I was there Saturday to show my support for him and his family.

Mark, it doesn''t matter where you are in the world you can still join in with the song at 5 minutes past 7 your time.

Hope it raises loads.I dont normally support charities (tight sod) but Duncan was one of my heroes, when he was playing for NCFC he would often come and join us for kick about on the waste land at the bottom of my garden along with a couple of other players as they WALKED home. You wouldnt see that these days.later in the 90s I got to know Duncan and his wife personally, great guy always jokimg.My father in law died a couple of years ago from this disease it was terrible to see.Singing 6ft 2 etc will be awesome

EXTRAIf you really want to get the crowd singing his song you better get teaching the youngsters

My first memories of supporting norwich involved players like John Manning, Kenny Foggo, Hugh Curran, Kevin Keelan, Alan Black & of course the best of all big Duncan Forbes, I remember the way he would put both his arms over a forwards shoulders trapping their head then he would just point the head in general direction of were he wanted the ball to go usually off the forwards face!! Best of all was the incident with Peter Osgood in the abandoned 72 league cup semi final on 20/12/72 against Chelsea, Osgood had a nasty streak & had riled Dunc during the game, so much so that as thick fog rolled into Carrow rd from over the river end embankment Osgood mysteriously went down with the ball half the length of the pitch away, no one saw a thing! as a footnote I was standing in the old south stand, in a crowd of around 360000!! What an atmosphere that was, finally it''s a shame DF isn''t fit enough to address some of the muppets that regularly attack the club via this board & on social network sites he would put them firmly in their place. Hopefully the players will give a performance worthy of dedication to this splendid club legend.

I was at that foggy game, not sure if thats the game I queued up for ages to get in or not, mind you there were a few like that. I was also in the south stand.Kids today hey, with their prepaid tickets and no queueing to get in, and then trying to find your spot on the terrace

Now Dunc IS a City ledge, hope this goes down really well and a nice gesture from City btw.

[quote user="city4eva"]I was at that foggy game, not sure if thats the game I queued up for ages to get in or not, mind you there were a few like that. I was also in the south stand.Kids today hey, with their prepaid tickets and no queueing to get in, and then trying to find your spot on the terrace[/quote]

Haha they don''t know there born, remember my poor old dad carrying a small wooden stool for me to stand on every week, I always used to try & get to the front so I could sit on the top of the fence with legs hanging through!! Any emergency or a crowd surge god knows what would have happened to our legs. Health & safety... tuh, other memories are the cinema style sweet sellers, half time scores board & the three wheel light blue mobility vehicles parked up in the river end corner!

[quote user="funny old game"]My first memories of supporting norwich involved players like John Manning, Kenny Foggo, Hugh Curran, Kevin Keelan, Alan Black & of course the best of all big Duncan Forbes, I remember the way he would put both his arms over a forwards shoulders trapping their head then he would just point the head in general direction of were he wanted the ball to go usually off the forwards face!! Best of all was the incident with Peter Osgood in the abandoned 72 league cup semi final on 20/12/72 against Chelsea, Osgood had a nasty streak & had riled Dunc during the game, so much so that as thick fog rolled into Carrow rd from over the river end embankment Osgood mysteriously went down with the ball half the length of the pitch away, no one saw a thing! as a footnote I was standing in the old south stand, in a crowd of around 360000!! What an atmosphere that was, finally it''s a shame DF isn''t fit enough to address some of the muppets that regularly attack the club via this board & on social network sites he would put them firmly in their place. Hopefully the players will give a performance worthy of dedication to this splendid club legend.[/quote]

It''s strange how time plays tricks with memories. Big Dunc was injured for those Chelsea games and Govier played No.5. I remember a game around that time when Arsenal''s John Radford kept disappearing on to the left wing because Big Dunc "owed him one". Remember those crowds too buddy. My first game was Sheff Wed in ''67 and there was 42,000 there.

Remember those two big headers, against Swindon and Sheff Wed I think it was, during the 72 run in. Remember "Keep your voice down to a roar"! As a boy I remember going training with my mates brother''s Sunday team and Dunc there shouting at them as they did bunny hops on Eaton Park. My son is called Duncan after the big man himself but I never once told him my first choice was for Martin Peter which Mrs Nutty wasn''t having any of! After playing Duncan got to know even more fans in the time he did Club Canary. He used to say he never realised how much the club meant to the fan''s or how much they cared cared until he did that. Fans who went on those trip will remember  '''' crocodile sandwich and make it snappy ''''.[:)]

[quote user="morty"]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqmnYwvJ_QM&feature=youtu.be

[:(]
[/quote]

Thank you for that Mr Morty even if it is very sad.

I''m sure somewhere in the ground there used to be a giant picture of that header against Swindon when we won 1-0, that you mention Nutty. I was showing it to my son when he was very young on one open day. Unknown to me Dunc was behind us both, and as I told my lad about the goal and how it came about, Dunc boomed out You''re Dad has got it spot on!

Absolute club legend

Morty I dont agree with much that you post but thanks for that link

Very sad

Duncan is a true legend