Sign in to follow this  
BarclayWazza

Political correctness gone too far?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26446213

"England forward and anti-racism campaigner Toni Duggan has apologised for painting her face black and dressing up as film star Whoopi Goldberg for a fancy dress party."

Clearly no racist intent, imo stuff like this puts us further away from achieving racial equality.

No, I am seriously offended on behalf of people who may be offended by this overtly and unacceptable (sorry, "inappropriate") racist behaviour. ................

Sorry, couldn''t resist that. I completely agree with the OP. It is pathetic.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103128/

just wondered what everyone''s view on the above link was?

[/quote]It looks terrible......[/quote]Its got Lenny Henry in it, of course its terrible and almost certainly devoid of any comedic content like all his appearances in film on tv or stage.

it''s got Lenny Henry disguising himself as a white man...

no one said anything back then...

Duggan hasn''t done anything racist. all this has been blown out of proporition.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

it''s got Lenny Henry disguising himself as a white man...

no one said anything back then...

Duggan hasn''t done anything racist. all this has been blown out of proporition.

[/quote]Lennie Henry disguises himself as a comedian, now that does offend me, where do I complain?

I know that I will be in a tiny minority but will say it anyway.Whilst I appreciate that the OP is sincere and may have a case - I don''t know the details - the phrase "political correctness gone too far (or gone mad)" really irritates me. Perhaps occasionally people are a bit over-zelous but by far a bigger problem, in my opinion, is when political correctness does not go far enough! I am totally sure that it was not the intention of the OP, but the "PC gone too far" mantra is largely the creation of those that wish it had never started at all and who would like to reverse it!Sorry, rant over.

[quote user="Phil and Ted"]

Lennie Henry disguises himself as a comedian, now that does offend me, where do I complain?[/quote]And has been doing for 30 years. How has he got away with it ?

I''m not offended neither do I reckon would any black people I know would be, but she is in a position of responsibility within Racism and she''s seen similar attempts at humour not taken very well before (ironically usually buy some upper class white guy sat on an anti racism board as opposed to the people it would allegedly offend) surely, so it was a bit stupid. It just yet again needlessly brings the debate up again. The PC brigade will have a field day!

Like the Space Monkey thing, daft but not racist. I don''t really think there is much racism left in football in this country. As for the lack of black managers, what about the lack of english ones? Are our clubs being racist to English people too? The bottom line is, there are people better suited to the job. Part of it will even out in the long run, as there is still a generation or two to recover from when racism was rife in the 70''s. Similar to British Asians, the vast majority were never willing to take it seriously as a career option due to religious, parental, institutional and cultural issues but now some of them barriers are down, the Lionel Messi of British Asians won''t just appear, he''ll take from the age of 5 to be brought up on the game and nurtured into a top player. In 10-15 years, we''ll probably have a few lads coming through from the demographic.

Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 05/03/2014 1:04 PM:

"Similar to British Asians, the vast majority were never willing to take it seriously as a career option due to religious, parental, institutional and cultural issues but now some of them barriers are down, the Lionel Messi of British Asians won''t just appear, he''ll take from the age of 5 to be brought up on the game and nurtured into a top player. In 10-15 years, we''ll probably have a few lads coming through from the demographic."

Not going to happen.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Jimmy Smith wrote the following post at 05/03/2014 1:04 PM: "Similar to British Asians, the vast majority were never willing to take it seriously as a career option due to religious, parental, institutional and cultural issues but now some of them barriers are down, the Lionel Messi of British Asians won''t just appear, he''ll take from the age of 5 to be brought up on the game and nurtured into a top player. In 10-15 years, we''ll probably have a few lads coming through from the demographic." Not going to happen.[/quote]

Do you mean apart from Neil Taylor who is British Asian, or Rhys Williams, or Danny Batth?

One of those soccer stats books points out that the entire current England team (this was a couple of years ago) came from working class backgrounds.  It''s hard to get on in football for middle class kids. 

I do find it a bit depressing that someone can get into trouble for going to a fancy dress party as Whoopi Goldberg.

A real clutch at straws dropping them names there. Hardly a proportionate representation of british asians there. It''s not like Taylor was really embedded into british asian culture, Ruthin town where he grew up is hardly the big British asian area that say Luton or Bradford are. In a way, he''s an outlier for want of a better word. The same goes for Rhys Taylor.

The big ''mystery'' people seem to have is that there are loads of british asian kids well into their football in the cultural hubs like Bradford and Luton but there are only a handful of professional players. A lot of the clue is in the names of these players you mentioned. Clearly, they have moved away from their asian heritage to some degree and probably became very much integrated into British (or Australian) society.

Look over in asia itself. Football is pretty big over there, loads of fans, billions clambering to have a glimpse of "Beckham" or "Ronaldo" but there are literally no world class players from India, Pakistan, Malaysia or China that have ever made it big. Football is still evolving and I really believe that in the next 10-15 years, more of these nations will have greater influence in international football, some will take longer than others but it will happen.

Remember the days of turning over Turkey or Greece? They are gone and football is better for it. Whilst we would expect to smash 10 past India (no disrespect meant) at the moment (even if Cleverly played!) Give it another generation or two and that won''t be the case.

Apologies for the asking the question because it must have been asked of you many times before: Why are there so few players of British Asian origin in the game?

Ha, the question everyone asks, well I think it’s all set to change soon, currently I don’t believe the past generation have been steered into football at all due to such a small percentage of people being successful

in football, the chances of not making it are high. I also believe that the lack of an Indian role model for young players just starting out to aspire to, is also a problem as there is still a wait for a first one. I have seen a lot of young Asians playing football so it will just be a matter of time before they are just as common as other ethnic backgrounds.

That was what Danny Baath had to say about it anyway.

I would have to agree but yes there are some cultures where professional football and other vocational careers are not a priority and academia is pushed far more.

I work with a lot of people with Asian backgrounds and their aspirations for their kids are to go to Uni and become doctors, lawyers, etc.  Football player would, I think, be pretty far down the list.

Actually it''s interesting because a cousin of mine has a son who is (apparently) attracting attention from scouts while playing for the under-11s locally.  My cousin is what you''d describe as solidly working class, working as a painter/decorator.  He''s happy to encourage his son who has football practice (or plays) every day.  Whereas my reaction would be to worry that he''s probably got a 0.1% chance of making it as a football pro, so he shouldn''t be neglecting school.

i coach kids, any age and all abilities.

when they ask me for advice and tips i tell them to focus on school... football is a priveledge that can be taken away. school is plan B

Clearly not racist. Just really stupid. Blacking up has been frowned upon for decades.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"] I don''t really think there is much racism left in football in this country. [/quote]Wow. How far into the sand have you got your head? Were you one of those who called Hughton Coco or a coont but of course with no racist subtext? Next you''ll be saying homophobia doesn''t exist either.An excellent Dispatches programme on the other night on Channel 4 highlighting these issues which to many don''t exist. Well worth a watch if you didn''t see it - http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-dispatches-on-racism-in-football

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 05/03/2014 2:23 PM:

"Do you mean apart from Neil Taylor who is British Asian, or Rhys Williams, or Danny Batth?"

Two of them are mixed race. One is an Australian. None are Messi-esque.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"] I don''t really think there is much racism left in football in this country. [/quote]Wow. How far into the sand have you got your head? Were you one of those who called Hughton Coco or a coont but of course with no racist subtext? Next you''ll be saying homophobia doesn''t exist either.An excellent Dispatches programme on the other night on Channel 4 highlighting these issues which to many don''t exist. Well worth a watch if you didn''t see it - http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-dispatches-on-racism-in-football

[/quote]

This programme spent half it''s time complaining about homophobia against Brighton fans - I found it pathetic. They made out that rival fans should be arrested for singing "we can see you holding hands" !! Get a f''ing grip ffs. This is football banter and takes the mickey out of stereotypes, in the same way that (according to some people) I have intimate relations with my close family and woolly animals.

"One of those soccer stats books points out that the entire current England team (this was a couple of years ago) came from working class backgrounds. It''s hard to get on in football for middle class kids"

It must have been many more than a couple of years ago because Frank Lampard went to a private school and played school football against Eton college, he has an A grade in GCSE Latin, how many working class kids do you know who go to a £10,000 a year school?

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain also went to private school. Both sons of successful footballers of course, hardly raised on a council estate.

James Milner is the son of a Quantity Surveyor and was tipped to go to Oxford or Cambridge.

Now that the sons and daughters of most footballers will be privately educated perhaps we will see the opposite become true, where football is ''in the family'', a bit like the Houses of Parliament, and posh kids dominate.

You should ask for a refund on the book!

"I also believe that the lack of an Indian role model for young players just starting out to aspire to, is also a problem as there is still a wait for a first one"

They have one! Michael Chopra!

Oh.....

[quote user="Dicky"]

This programme spent half it''s time complaining about homophobia against Brighton fans - I found it pathetic. They made out that rival fans should be arrested for singing "we can see you holding hands" !! Get a f''ing grip ffs. This is football banter and takes the mickey out of stereotypes, in the same way that (according to some people) I have intimate relations with my close family and woolly animals.[/quote]Yeah I agree Dicky, some of it is general banter in the same way that Norwich fans shag their sisters, Scousers are on the dole etc, but there was a lot of individual hatred involved too.

Whoopie Goldberg is the absolute worst. Lousy actress, loud mouth, terribly unfunny comedienne, butt ugly. Why would anyone want to pretend to be her?