Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

If we lost Ruddy...

Who would you replace him with?

Is a difficult position to buy for, foreign keepers have a tendency to punch and can be poor at catching crosses, often takes them time to adapt to this unique type of football that we have in England.

If we went down then Declan Rudd would probably get the opportunity to fight it out with Mark Bunn (and Rudd would win I think, been fantastic out on loan).

If we stayed up it would have to be Fraser Forster wouldn''t it?

Any other ideas?

David Marshall has probably been the best British keeper in the league this season.

Would we ever go there? Was he one that was shown the door or one who wanted to jump ship? Wasn''t always clear, because we had a £4m budget deficit when relegated to League One.

Not sure if I agree there Juge. There are plenty of foreign keepers out there who adapt to the EPL.Take Asmir Begovic for example. He''s a fine keeper, a cert for the World Cup, and only cost £3m. Knowing our luck, he''ll play a blinder on Saturday !!!

Asmir Begovic came to this country at 14 years old and spent years learning his trade as a kid at Portsmouth and out on loan in the lower leagues.

That is obviously not what I meant, poor example, seeing as he "only cost £3m" but was purchased from an English club.

Obviously I meant those purchased from overseas need time to adapt to English football, not those who happen to have been born overseas. Begovic had 7 years playing English football before moving to Stoke!

Rudd is not up to it....YET.

Did you watch the game last season where he got beat at his near post by a non-league player? The same non-league player that is no-where near the Luton squad at the moment...

He needs a season at Championship level before he can lay claim to the shirt...

If we get relegated then Bunn and Rudd competing for the number one shirt would be fine.

If you put Rudd in the Premier League his inexperience would be telling.

Rudd is at the same stage of his development as Forster was for us in 2009/10.

I think Rudd will be a quality keeper, but to go from League One to Premier League is a step too far too early.

I do think he would prove superior to Bunn in the Championship though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6n5ebNXL8

That''s a really flawed argument on so many levels for me. Firstly, watch the goal again and tell me exactly how Rudd is at fault. If someone smashes the ball at you from 4 yards it basically has to hit you for you to save it. You cannot react to it.

Secondly, since that fixture Rudd has played around 50 games for Preston and by all accounts been outstanding for them. I accept that Rudd may indeed need a season at Championship level first but to completely dismiss him on the basis of one incident (which wasn''t even his fault) is ridiculous.

As a goalkeeper you should never be beaten at your near post....

I would fully hope and expect Rudd to be ''outstanding'' at League One level if he has aspirations to be a Premier League goalkeeper...

At least we are agreed that he needs Championship experience, I''m not dismissing him on one incident but it proves very difficult when it was such a basic error....

I agree Le Juge Cardiff would have been relegated by now if not for him he made 3 class saves against us.

[quote user="Le Juge"]Who would you replace him with?

Is a difficult position to buy for, foreign keepers have a tendency to punch and can be poor at catching crosses, often takes them time to adapt to this unique type of football that we have in England.

If we went down then Declan Rudd would probably get the opportunity to fight it out with Mark Bunn (and Rudd would win I think, been fantastic out on loan).

If we stayed up it would have to be Fraser Forster wouldn''t it?

Any other ideas?[/quote]

Forster would need a bigger club I reckon now, there is talk of Milan and Barcelona. We''d do well to get him.

If we went down and Ruddy went, I think i''d want to see Rudd given the chance. Even in the couple of games he''s played for us, I was very impressed and he''s been amazing whilst out on loan. I feel we''ve got a real talent on our hands but the one annoying thing about all our great youth players being keepers for the last few years is that you can only fit one in the team and can''t just "give them 15 mins" at the end of a game. It''s tough to blood them. I hope he doesn''t end up like Joe Lewis.