Sign in to follow this  
yellow 63

Memories of 1971-72-1972-73 seasons

With the ''''Big Dunc '''' day on Saturday  any memories from these two seasons in which he played a pivotal role.Plenty comes to mind the unbeaten run,Millwall and Watford away,the League Cup run,Everton and Palace home,pity i was only 8

My long abiding memory as a 15 year old, apart going to some of the matches, is of sitting around the black and white television with the rest of the family, on the Monday evening (or maybe it was a Tuesday, but Monday, I think) waiting for the score against Orient on Anglia TV.  Can''t remember what programmes were on, it was irrelevant, but they had promised to put the score up and to get that score at  9.20 pm was a moment I could never forget - to get to the top flight for the first time in our history. 

Not very easy to get the score in them days,remember tuning into the police frequency on the radio for night home games or ringing the supporters club which was a thankless task

[quote user="lake district canary"]My long abiding memory as a 15 year old, apart going to some of the matches, is of sitting around the black and white television with the rest of the family, on the Monday evening (or maybe it was a Tuesday, but Monday, I think) waiting for the score against Orient on Anglia TV.  Can''t remember what programmes were on, it was irrelevant, but they had promised to put the score up and to get that score at  9.20 pm was a moment I could never forget - to get to the top flight for the first time in our history. 

[/quote]I was 26 yrs old and on early shift that day and we left Norwich at about 4pm and drove down to Brisbane Rd in my mates MGB. We just parked in a local street close to the ground. I remember having a pint in a local pub with Orient supporters before the match, something you couldn''t do today. There was no such thing as all ticket in those days and we just paid at the gate. We were all singing OTBC at the top of our voices and leading 2-0 it looked like being a comfortable victory but Orient got a goal back just before the end and it was a nervous final minute.I can still recall how we all invaded the pitch at the final whistle and on the joyous drive back to Norfolk discussing how we would get on in our first season among the big boys. I got home singing and shouting after midnight and received a bollocking from Mrs Ricardo for waking up the kids. Happy days.[:D]I have enjoyed several promotions since then but that one will always be the greatest.

As a 10 year old experiencing their first ever promotion challenge I have great memories of his headed goals against Swindon and Sheffield Wednesday towards the end of the 71-72 season.

Both games finished 1-0 with Big Dunc getting two very important winning goals.

The one against Wednesday was very late in the game and as the ball crashed in off the underside of the bar the whole placed erupted.

Happy Days.

My over-riding memory of those two seasons was as a 16 year old, standing on the fence that ran along the back of the river-end (no way I could get through the crush onto the terraces) watching the last home game of 1972/3 as we beat Crystal Palace 2 -1 through Dave Stringer''s winner in the last few minutes. It meant we stayed up and the whole fence rocked back and forth with the crowd going mad beneath us when the goal went in.

They say the past is another country but comparing them there days with the present, it feels like a whole different universe.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]My over-riding memory of those two seasons was as a 16 year old, standing on the fence that ran along the back of the river-end (no way I could get through the crush onto the terraces) watching the last home game of 1972/3 as we beat Crystal Palace 2 -1 through Dave Stringer''s winner in the last few minutes. It meant we stayed up and the whole fence rocked back and forth with the crowd going mad beneath us when the goal went in.[/quote]

Same memory as Hairy Canary - and the only time I''ve ever joined in a pitch invasion at the end of a match - with us all chanting Ron Saunders'' name as if we had just won the league.

Funny, I was only remembering recently how it looked as we were going to be relegated, and Ron Saunders'' genius in bringing in Hockey, Suggett, and Mellor - each with a specific job to do, and which turned things round and kept us up.

If only we had a manager with that sort of genius now !

The despair of being minutes from a Wembley League Cup Final appearance, beating Chelsea 3-2 (5-2 on aggregate) when the fog came down and the match was abandoned. All was well though because we won the re-arranged game 1-0. Pity we didn''t show up for the Final though.

[quote user="Marchant"]The despair of being minutes from a Wembley League Cup Final appearance, beating Chelsea 3-2 (5-2 on aggregate) when the fog came down and the match was abandoned. All was well though because we won the re-arranged game 1-0. Pity we didn''t show up for the Final though.[/quote]

Ditto. Was 11 and didn''t live near Norfolk then, but got ticket for that final - Keelan was excellent all season.

[quote user="Marchant"]The despair of being minutes from a Wembley League Cup Final appearance, beating Chelsea 3-2 (5-2 on aggregate) when the fog came down and the match was abandoned. All was well though because we won the re-arranged game 1-0. Pity we didn''t show up for the Final though.[/quote]

Ditto. Was 11 and didn''t live near Norfolk then, but got ticket for that final - Keelan was excellent all season.

Being at Highbury for a league game. Big Dunc broke a rib and had a collapsed lung I think. Yet he still tried to play on for several minutes. Says everything about him.

Great 3 - 0 win that night. Paddon hat trick.

OTBC