Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

Hoopers first touch.

Hoopers first touch is not great and often leads to us loosing the ball and having to defend yet again,he got away with it for Celtic but now he is often up against world class defenders who can nick the ball quickly and pass well.That is a reason we got him and not a top club.I want to see him do well every game score,hold the ball up etc but its not happening.Were we expecting too much from him and will he learn for next season or if we stay up must we pay even bigger money for someone who can score.Is he beyond coaching or is it down to the coaching staff not doing their job.Having said all that I still go to the game hoping he will smash in a hat trick and prove me wrong.

I think his first touch has been very good this season although he was definitely below par against Villa.

I agree with the other replies so far... Nothing wrong with his touch at all - mostly it looks class. All players have off days though. Also, he''s not a hold-the-ball up type player, he''s a predator, a finisher. I think his link-up play is actually the best of any of our strikers - he''s good at taking a touch, giving himself time, and finding others.

I think there''s a bit of a tendency for short term memories with some fans on this board - as in you''re only as good as your last game.

His ability and desire to come deep with his back to goal, then do a quick, accurate one-touch pass and spin off to burst forward is something that has constantly impressed me this season. If anything, I''d say RVW is the one who needs to sharpen his first touch.

His first touch is excellent. The problem is he''s being asked to play as a lone striker with his back to goal. We''re in a bit of a funny situation with our strikers as none of them are really any good as a lone striker. They all benefit from playing off somebody else but by doing this our midfield gets over-run. Although Hughtons signings are good on paper they don''t fit in to the way he plays. I think he expected a lot more out of RVW and when he realised he wasn''t ready it was too late and the whole set up was flawed.

[quote user="vlad666"]His first touch is excellent. The problem is he''s being asked to play as a lone striker with his back to goal. We''re in a bit of a funny situation with our strikers as none of them are really any good as a lone striker. They all benefit from playing off somebody else but by doing this our midfield gets over-run. Although Hughtons signings are good on paper they don''t fit in to the way he plays. I think he expected a lot more out of RVW and when he realised he wasn''t ready it was too late and the whole set up was flawed.[/quote]

a good and honest post. we haven''t quite got the personnel to make it work, this isn''t saying they are bad players. but the set up and the way they are set out to play doesnt suit all of the squad.

4-4-2 doesnt either. we cant risk changing formations every week until we hit somethign that works however... pre season is time to experiment.

This just goes to prove how diverse football fans'' opinions can be on any one subject.

I have been continually impressed by Hooper''s first touch, and see him as a better bet than RVW to get us out of the mess we currently find ourselves in.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]His ability and desire to come deep with his back to goal, then do a quick, accurate one-touch pass and spin off to burst forward is something that has constantly impressed me this season. If anything, I''d say RVW is the one who needs to sharpen his first touch.[/quote]I agree with all of this post, apart from the idea that van Wolfswinkel has any kind of touch, first or otherwise...

I think the first touch of both RVW and Hooper is fine.

But Hooper is a bit better at protecting the ball, he gives defenders more of a fight. RVW can be too lightweight when under pressure and it''s something he needs to work on - hopefully we''ll see an improvement in that area next season when he should have had enough time to get to grips with the style of football here.

Agree with everyone, bar pigman. Sorry pigman.

I''ve been impressed with his first touch - a couple of occasions after he''d come on against Spurs were particularly good.

And generally is all-round play has been commendable. Just needs to rediscover his nose for goal. And sharpish.

Well I will study him tomorrow if he plays and hope my punditry is sh*t,in a way I am glad I am wrong because it was money well spent on him.As I say I prey he does well each game but I am disappointed most games.Sorry to all who rate him.

I too think Hooper''s first touch is generally good - however he did make a complete hash of his first touch when Whittaker put him through one-on-one away to Everton.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Thats funny, i''ve seen some say Hoopers first touch is literally world class.[/quote]Indeed I''m pretty sure the assist on Saturday came from a first time pass. Setting someone up with an open goal with your "first touch" can''t be too bad.

Boring I know, but as others have said, Hooper''s first touch is first class. I think ...despite the stats, we''ll be doing well to hang o to him close season.