Sign in to follow this  
Tiffey Boy

How bad must Becchio be in training

[quote user="Tiffey Boy"]not to be worth at least a try, given the current goal droughtor is it personal?![/quote]I watched him play in the under 21''s a few weeks ago.A striker of his experience should have stood head and shoulders above the youngsters.He didn''t.

It seems odd, that however ''unselectable'' he remains, we keep hold of him. How can he ba a back-up if he is unpickable. I cant imagine a circumstance where Becchio would get picked. Even if we had all three strikers out I reckon he''d rather play someone out of position. So why not sell him or loan him out with an emergency recall clause? Why keep someone you will never play? Surely Morris can warm a bench just as well as Becchio? His buttocks are surely just as insulating?

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]It seems odd, that however ''unselectable'' he remains, we keep hold of him. How can he ba a back-up if he is unpickable. I cant imagine a circumstance where Becchio would get picked. Even if we had all three strikers out I reckon he''d rather play someone out of position. So why not sell him or loan him out with an emergency recall clause? Why keep someone you will never play? Surely Morris can warm a bench just as well as Becchio? His buttocks are surely just as insulating?[/quote]The point is though, someone is always going to have to be 4th choice.And Becchio has had some game time this season, I think?

I think it''s more complicated than that.He must be so good that the club won''t let him go back to Leeds but so bad he doesn''t get to play.  That''s got to be a really narrow band of performance.It''s also a complete waste of money to sign someone, pay them but not play them.

If the only reason to sign him was to get shot of Morrison, then fair enough it was a good swap. But why  not sell him on if he doesn''t fit in

[quote user="Tiffey Boy"]If the only reason to sign him was to get shot of Morrison, then fair enough it was a good swap. But why  not sell him on if he doesn''t fit in[/quote]Because we need a squad to call on, should it be necessary.And as soon as we can buy a replacement, I have no doubt we''ll sell Becchio. And it wouldn''t surprise me if we tried to do just that in January.

[quote user="morty"]I watched him play in the under 21''s a few weeks ago.A striker of his experience should have stood head and shoulders above the youngsters.He didn''t.[/quote]Then surely we''d be just as well off without him and playing one of the under 21''s?

Well, both RVW and Hooper have been out for significant spells this season with injury.  If they''re both unavailable for a game for any reason, then Becchio would be very likely to get some game time.  It seems pretty straightforward to me that''s why we are keeping him.

Now, I do struggle a bit with the fact that the manager persists with using Elmander in some games when we''re in need of goals, when his contribution has been poor at best.  So maybe he has shown enough in training to keep ahead of Becchio in the pecking order.  And as has been pointed out, when Becchio has had chances to show what he can do, he hasn''t really impressed either.

And as soon as we can buy a replacement, I have no doubt we''ll sell Becchio. And it wouldn''t surprise me if we tried to do just that in January.

Wow, that soon !!

[quote user="Satoshi Nakamoto"][quote user="morty"]I watched him play in the under 21''s a few weeks ago.A striker of his experience should have stood head and shoulders above the youngsters.He didn''t.[/quote]Then surely we''d be just as well off without him and playing one of the under 21''s?[/quote]Whilst there is promise there, I don''t think any are quite ready for the step up.I have no doubt that if Becchio were needed to, he would do a job for us. Not a hugely good one, but adequate.

[quote user="Tiffey Boy"]And as soon as we can buy a replacement, I have no doubt we''ll sell Becchio. And it wouldn''t surprise me if we tried to do just that in January.

Wow, that soon !![/quote]You do know I meant January just gone....

I don''t think Becchio has looked bad in the rare opportunities he''s been given, there was some great link up between him and Howson in the WBA game last season (even if he was only on for 10 mins), and he''s looked relatively tidy if nothing special in most other appearances.Considering how absolutely woeful Elmander has been, combined with injuries/loss of form to both RVW and Hooper, I think it sends a VERY strong message out that Becchio simply isn''t going to get match time under Hughton - regardless of whether or not this decision may be fair or justified.Whilst I fully understand the need for a 4th choice striker, the disdain which Becchio seems to have been treated with is a bit too much IMHO, especially when he joined us on the back of excellent form in the league below and was basically then ignored (seemingly just because we wanted to offload Morison).It''s a similar situation to what''s happened with Fox, and what happened with Lappin in the past (and to a lesser extent with Wes this season).For a manager who''s meant to command such high levels of respect in the game, the virtual blanking of some players in our squad seems to argue against this to some extent...On a final note, we all remember being told that Holt was terrible in training, but that didn''t seem to stop him on match days did it...?

Not the only player being left out by Hughton. Namely Fox, Hoolahan, Whttaker and Luciano however poor he has been he is a proven goal scorer. Or had been until CH weaves his magic on RVW, Elmander and Hoops.

I don''t know how bad he is, but I would suggest other possible reasons why he is overlooked by Hughton:

1) Hughton takes ages to change his mind - some players play on when they have done little - eg. Snodgrss earlier.

2) His game is similar to that of Elmander, and the Swede is preferred.

3) It is a personal thing. How else can we explain the restoration of Wes after such petulance, but the apparent forgiveness of Becchio and then non-appearance.

I find it hard to understand why a man who scored so many for Leeds before coming to us should now be consigned to the scrap heap, and at a time when the so-called first choice strikers are achieving so little.

Salopian ..... be fair, it wasn''t just Becchio who scored goals, so did Hooper and RvW (and to a lesser extent Elmander). How many times must it be said ..... it is not the strikers, it''s the formation and tactics being used that have resulted in us not scoring goals.

None of our strikers have posed a threat since Hughton has been here, no matter who they are.

He has a rare talent for drying up goals.

One wonders if a different manages could get loads of goals out of all of our strikers.Before I hear any mention of Lambert, I get to listen to BBC WestMids quite often and the Villla fans really do not rate him; they accuse him of poor team selection, players out of position and bizarre substitutions. Really.

What frustrates me is the picking of Elmander over Becchio. Elmander has been woeful and looks no threat whatsoever (anyone can hold the ball up, but strikers are paid to score goals) so with our goal famine, it''s hard to understand why he gets the nod over Becchio each time.If Becchio wasn''t good enough in training he simply wouldn''t be on the bench. It''s that''s simple. A manager doesn''t put him on the bench (simply because he''s got to have a 4th striker) if he''s not pulling his weight in training, so why keep picking him, and never play him. Whichever way you look at this Hughton isn''t a man who gets the best out of his players, and most certainly not consistently