Sign in to follow this  
YellowBlood

Your top 5 favourite Norwich City players of all time...

@Spartacus - you have to remember some people have a longer memory. Holt has been a great servant for us but the last season and his departure perhaps dampened that somewhat.

Another candidate that popped into my head - actually two!

Steve Bruce, Justin Fashanu

Surprised no one has mentioned bryan gunn??

If you forget about the manager bit,, was a great player and legend at the club

In no particular order:

Fleck

Holt

Fox

Crook

Sutton

Could you imagine these 5 playing in the same era/team?

Can we make this a top 30 as I have changed my mind at least a dozen times now and cant believe I left out Ian Crook amongst others. Something that is striking from the replied though, is how few players from the last three or four seasons have been mentioned other than Holt and Hoolahan (who is currently on my naughty step)............is that mainly because very few have stuck around long or we just dont hold them in such high esteem these days?

Yes its difficult. There are so many players.

Wingers alone will exceed 5

Neighbour

Barham

Gordon

David Bennett

David Phillips

Ruel Fox

Eadie

Hucks  

That''s a toughy, but Martin Peters, Chippy, Hucks and Martin O''Neill are four top top players, that would be right up there for me.

Will like to keep my options open for the other, if that''s alright with you guys!

Virtually all the players mentioned so far would get into my top 20. I agree that it''s really difficult to pick a top 5, but if I was to plump for just ONE in particular, I guess it would be Chris Sutton. Presence about him, an eye for goal, held the ball up better than anyone (inc Iwan and GH), a turn of pace , comfortable on the ball, plus (the icing on the cake) was a very accomplished defender if needed. And a home grown talent too.

Agree with your summing up of Chris Sutton Reggie, he was certainly a special talent, I can remember being astounded by his ability when he first made the team for a player so young, very special.

My favourites would be Deehan, Drinkell, Bellamy, Huckerby and Hoolahan.

However I could argue with myself all day about the relative merits of others such as Bruce, Watson, Linighan, Bowen, Culverhouse, Gunn, Fleck, Crook, Fox, Sutton, Holtx2, Eadie, Gordon, Phillips, Newsome, Roberts and even players like Donowa and Andy Johnson who wouldn''t get in on ability but were briefly favourites at the time.

It''s a tough call.

No particular order, here goes:

Bryan Gunn

Robert Fleck

Darren Huckerby

Grant Holt

Iwan Roberts

All of the above never failed to show maximum commitment and were characters in their own ways.

I would want to include one or two from the earlier post-war games, and especially Bobby Brennan, who was unstoppable in dribbling runs down the left. We have not really seen his like since. And perhaps the best half-back line we ever had - Ashman. Foulkes and Pickwick? There were so many good players, many of them sold because we couldn''t keep them.

[quote user="chicken"]@Spartacus - you have to remember some people have a longer memory. Holt has been a great servant for us but the last season and his departure perhaps dampened that somewhat.

Another candidate that popped into my head - actually two!

Steve Bruce, Justin Fashanu[/quote]some have short memories as well [:D]

Favourite players over the past 20 years I can remember:Iwan RobertsGrant HoltCraig BellamyDarren EadieDarren HuckerbyStruggling to not put Dublin in there even though he was only here for a couple of years in the twilight of his career. Still great to see him out there.

FleckHuckerbyMartin PetersDave Watson ( to my mind the best centre half and captain City have ever had)Dale Gordon

Startred going in 1986.  My top 5 in order are

1. Darren Huckerby (No player has got me out of my seat with excitement as much as him).

2. Bryan Gunn (I played in goal and I used to love watching him play)

3. Ian Crook (just sheer class)

4. Grant Holt (A true talisman at a time the club need it most)

5. Chris Sutton (The year he banged in 20+ goals in the Premier League was probably the most consistent top class performance I have seen form a Norwich player)

"Holtcantshoot"

Favourite players over the past 20 years I can remember:

Iwan Roberts

Grant Holt

Craig Bellamy

Darren Eadie

Darren Huckerby

Struggling to not put Dublin in there even though he was only here for a couple of years in the twilight of his career. Still great to see him out there.

Same choice as me. Honourable mentions to;

Chris Martin

Wes Hoolahan

Paul McVeigh

Chris Sutton.

Better stop now or this list could go on.