Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Mrs Forbes should deliver the team talk.

In an age when playing for a club meant something, money was rarely the motivation as wages were not spectacular, footballers then played hard but fair and the gulf between a working man and a player were not that great, players who retired pre-90`s had to take on jobs like us guys when they could play no longer.

I would love Mrs Forbes to talk to our players before they go out tomorrow against Stoke and remind them how lucky they are to do what they do and get paid the amounts they do.

Remind them they should be proud to represent a great club like ours and what it means to our fans, Duncan Forbes was a great player who led by example, not motivated by money but proud to pull on our shirt, maybe our players could look to past examples.

I hope they raise plenty of money for Duncan tomorrow and its a great idea by the club, it will be an emotional day and lets hope the players can rise to the occasion as im sure the crowd will.

OTBC

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]In an age when playing for a club meant something, money was rarely the motivation as wages were not spectacular, footballers then played hard but fair and the gulf between a working man and a player were not that great, players who retired pre-90`s had to take on jobs like us guys when they could play no longer.

I would love Mrs Forbes to talk to our players before they go out tomorrow against Stoke and remind them how lucky they are to do what they do and get paid the amounts they do.

Remind them they should be proud to represent a great club like ours and what it means to our fans, Duncan Forbes was a great player who led by example, not motivated by money but proud to pull on our shirt, maybe our players could look to past examples.

I hope they raise plenty of money for Duncan tomorrow and its a great idea by the club, it will be an emotional day and lets hope the players can rise to the occasion as im sure the crowd will.

OTBC[/quote]

No. I''m sorry. You are one step too far with this. It is a great day to remember Duncan and his plight - and what an inspiration he is to the whole club.  But the players are professionals and while they may be inspired by things like this, they don''t need to be told about money.   Any player worth his salt knows about the history of the game and will have learned plenty about Duncan in the last week or so, if they didn''t know before. Mrs. Forbes will probably meet the players, but to wish them well, I am sure.  Not harp on about money.   Emotional it will be, I wish I could be there, but the only money issue should be about raising money for DF and his cause.

I wouldn`t expect her to speak about money with the players, but perhaps remember the pride they should have to pull that shirt on and represent Norwich City just like her husband did.

LDC,

You said,

"Any player worth his salt knows about the history of the game "

LDC, you are wrong here imo and I speak fequently with our younger players and if you mentioned names such as; Moore, Ball, Hurst, Peters, Le Tissier, Gascoigne, etc, to most of them they have no idea who you are talking about, let alone the impact they had on the game.

Sad but true and perhaps a sign of the times or perhaps a sign of our age but football to the vast majority of them is no more than a job..

It''s presumptuous nonsense to say Forbes wasn''t motivated by money, silly to suggest his wife give a speech to the players that from the sound of how the OP wants it delivered would depress and shame them right before kick-off, and hypocritical to then wish plenty of money is raised.

Certainly not appropriate for Mrs Forbes to give the team talk and the players will, as mentioned, certainly know about Duncan Forbes this week if they didnt know before. But........when Big Dunc played it was actually unlikely that money was the main factor for being a professional footballer, as whilst certainly better paid than most, it certainly was not a millionaires club or close to it. I remember, before he joined Norwich City, Duncan''s team mate Martin Peters (who is at Carrow Road today - an absolute legend) staying at a holiday camp I knew well near to Great Yarmouth, with his family and arriving in a sponsored Ford Cortina, he was a World Cup winner and one of the top players but clearly not rolling in it. That''s also why, players from that era, before and later even, still have jobs or businesses in their later years or work at clubs on the hospitality side i.e. Kenny Foggo has a Dry cleaners, Phil Hoadley working at our club etc. Yep......they actually DID play for the shirt in those days, they really did (well most of them).......oh, and they just happened to get a little more money than they would in a senior management job for example.     

Trust me Tim, that''s not close to a bashing, nobody has accused you of being a plastic or similar or suggested you dont deserve an opinion or are not a proper supporter or whatever, all stuff I have had thrown at me in my short time posting on here. I actually like your OP and understand fully why you have your view......just didnt fully agree.........

The poster is just reflecting what many of our more senior fans remember, when you had players in the squad who were yellow and green through and through.

Those days are gone and I am afraid most of these players would be gone if a better offer came along. That makes me very sad , but relects the Premier League today, realistically the likes of the Murphy twins only have a real chance in our team if we get relegated.

I was lucky enough to see the likes of Duncan Forbes and Stringer put their bodies on the line for the cause and you knew they put their all into every game!

The one thing the poster is pointing out is no one seems to do the job Duncan did for us , just watch the reaction to the Villa goals , no one sorting mess out .

For me Ruddy needs to take Captain over Bassong just too laid back

Sorry can not say that

I dont think she should mention money either.Do agree that times are different and money wasnt what motivated players back in the day...How many players playing in the prem today live in a modest 2/3 bed bungalow? In Duncans day that is what they lived in and still do to this day

As a family friend of Scott Forbes, I suggest he gives the players his legendry karaoke rendition of ‘Love on the Rocks’. That should motivate the players to leave the changing room rather rapidly!...