Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Team for Stoke

I''d go for (4-2-3-1):

Ruddy

Martin, Yobo, Bassong, Olsson, Tettey, Johnson, Snodgrass, Howson, Redmond, Hooper

Subs: Bunn, Bennett, Garrido, Fox, Hoolahan, Pilkington, Elmander

Although...

1) If RVW is fit i''d have him in the squad, and possibly starting. Although it''d be harsh on Hooper as he got an assist vs Villa.

2) I do wonder whether Bennett would be able to establish a good partnership with Yobo. Arguably, he is in better form than captain Bassong (which is one of the only reasons I put Bass in, Hughton won''t drop him).

3) I would happily also see Whittaker come into the squad. Both Garrido and Whitts are very unlucky to be out of the squad at the minute.

4) Arguably Wes should also start because of his goal vs Villa. But against a physical Stoke team, he might get bullied out of the game.

Pilkington starting no! had 45 minutes against Villa did nothing to warrant a starting place Wes has to play he could torment the big slow lumps at the back for Stoke

Not sure who is fit, but as I understand it -                    Ruddy      Martin Yobo Bassong OllsonSnodgrass Tettey Howson Johnson Gutierrez                      RVW

Hooper and Redmond to come on to spice things up later in the game

I note that without exception, everyone is going for Bassong to remain in place. Obviously, if nobody else is available, so it must be but if Bennett is back, surely Bassong is a massive liability that we could manage without. It is not as if his truly awful errors at Villa were a one-off bad day, look how he froze on the ball against Spurs. Ruddy will not always bale him out as he did twice that day.

Even last season Bassong was prone to dropping more than the odd clanger. For me he is a better centre half than Bennett, but I wouldn''t be completely gutted if he got the nod instead.

I think Bassong has been a bit unlucky with some of the criticism he has taken recently, especially after Sunday.

Look at the four goals, only the second was really his fault when he should have been stronger with Benteke (though you could argue it was a bit of a foul by Benteke).

First goal the midfield didn''t close Vlaar down quick enough and possibly Yobo could have done a little bit more. Third goal was the swift counter attack and the fourth goal, the OG from Bassong, was a result of them easily cutting through the right side of our defence.

I know there''s this thing now where people say he''s got a mistake in him but defenders that don''t are few and far between and tend to cost lots of money. I think Yobo has done well since he''s been here but really he hasn''t actually looked any better than Turner and I''d like to see him partnered with Bassong again when he''s fit and ready.

I think Hughton might go for something similar to the following :-                         RuddyMartin      Yobo      Bassong      OlssonSnodgrass  Tettey  Johnson  Redmond                       Hoolahan                         Hooper

Subs: Bunn, Whittaker, Howson, Bennett, Garrido, Becchio, van WW.

If I was to pick a team (which I don''t and quite happy that is the case) then I would drop Bassong. He is very inconsistent this season, and up against players like Walters and Crouch I feel he won''t have a successful game. For me R.Bennett has been one of our more consistent players this season, and think its very harsh that he keeps getting dropped. Yobo (apart from Villa) has been pretty solid thus far.

Ruddy

Martin Yobo R.Bennett Olsson(if fit)

Snodgrass Tettey Johnson Pilks

Hoolahan

Hooper

For me Pilks can give more defensively than Redmond.

On the assumption that Fer is not fit  (if he is I would start him in place of Wes)  but everyone else is I would start.   Starting BJ & Howson not an option for me and wes creativity was good last weekend - wes & rvw off after 65 mins for elmander/johnson and hooper - depending on the match situation.

Ruddy

martin  yobo  bassong olsson

Tettey Howson

Pilkington   Wes   Redmond

RvW (if fit,  if not hoops)

Subs

Bunn,  Whittaker,  Johnson, Snodgrass, Hooper, Elmander, Becchio

i would like

ruddy

martin

yobo

bassong

olsson

snodgrass

tettey

howson

redmond

wessi

hoops

but i suspect we''ll end up with johno will make the cut instead of wessi.

also, i''m still a bit annoyed at wes.

i really wish we had fer for this crucial set of 5 games. I''m really starting to think that anything except a victory against stoke and we will be going down. time is running out for Chrissy H to pull it out the hat!

If I was to pick a team (which I don''t and quite happy that is the case) then I would drop Bassong. He is very inconsistent this season, and up against players like Walters and Crouch I feel he won''t have a successful game. For me R.Bennett has been one of our more consistent players this season, and think its very harsh that he keeps getting dropped. Yobo (apart from Villa) has been pretty solid thus far.

Ruddy

Martin Yobo R.Bennett Olsson(if fit)

Snodgrass Tettey Johnson Pilks

Hoolahan

Hooper

For me Pilks can give more defensively than Redmond.

I would agree with SLKOS.  At Stoke R Bennett played and he had a field day with the Stoke long balls; him and Yobo would (I hope) be a really solid pairing against any old-style Stoke play (which we still saw plenty of at their place).

Also Pilks generally does well at home, I''d rather keep back Redmond as a sub to have a go at them later in the game.

[quote user="Kirkstall Yellow"]i would like

ruddy

martin

yobo

bassong

olsson

snodgrass

tettey

howson

redmond

wessi

hoops

i really wish we had fer for this crucial set of 5 games. I''m really starting to think that anything except a victory against stoke and we will be going down. time is running out for Chrissy H to pull it out the hat![/quote]

Yes this team looks more solid ,you can always add Whits to the midfield mix ,he''s good going forward ,Jonno is sometimes a bit loose

[quote user="Kirkstall Yellow"]i would like

ruddy

martin

yobo

bassong

olsson

snodgrass

tettey

howson

redmond

wessi

hoops

i really wish we had fer for this crucial set of 5 games. I''m really starting to think that anything except a victory against stoke and we will be going down. time is running out for Chrissy H to pull it out the hat![/quote]

Yes this team looks more solid ,you can always add Whits to the midfield mix ,he''s good going forward ,Jonno is sometimes a bit loose

All of you that have picked Wes Hoolahan in your starting 11 must have EXTREMELY short memories and cannot remember this Sunday where he disrespected the club, his manager, his team mates and us as fans with his very poor attitude.

Not to mention, goal aside (which he almost did to prove a point) a very poor performance

I would not be unhappy with Hoolahan never played for the club again.

My team:

Ruddy

Martin

Bennett

Yobo

Olsson

Tettey

Johnson

Snodgrass

Howson

Redmond

Hooper

SUBS: Bunn, Whittaker, Bassong, Hoolahan (begrudgingly), Murphy, Becchio, RVW

[quote user="Yobocop"]All of you that have picked Wes Hoolahan in your starting 11 must have EXTREMELY short memories and cannot remember this Sunday where he disrespected the club, his manager, his team mates and us as fans with his very poor attitude.

Not to mention, goal aside (which he almost did to prove a point) a very poor performance

I would not be unhappy with Hoolahan never played for the club again.

My team:

Ruddy

Martin

Bennett

Yobo

Olsson

Tettey

Johnson

Snodgrass

Howson

Redmond

Hooper

SUBS: Bunn, Whittaker, Bassong, Hoolahan (begrudgingly), Murphy, Becchio, RVW[/quote]

Give it a rest.

Sorry but that''s just my opinion Lincoln...sorry that you can''t seem to handle it

[quote user="Yobocop"]Sorry but that''s just my opinion Lincoln...sorry that you can''t seem to handle it[/quote]You''re not allowed to say anything against Hoolahan, thats how it works.

[quote user="Yobocop"]Sorry but that''s just my opinion Lincoln...sorry that you can''t seem to handle it[/quote]

I can handle it, I just think people have made this into somthing it''s not. If you don''t think he should start down to ability than fair enough, but to punish him for his actions on Sunday when nobody knows the facts is silly.

It''s not to do with facts though is Lincoln?

His actions were enough for me, to show that level of public disregard for his football club is unforgivable...

I''ve said (maybe on another thread) you can''t question Hoolahan''s ability but for his attitude alone I wouldn''t want him anywhere near the team at the moment....

respecting and handling opinions works both ways, some want wes to start (I do, we dont have a better trio available than wes, howson & tettey, starting with less weakens us and our chances of 3 points in my opinion)

if you feel wessis actions are unforegiveable I understand why you dont want him to start, thats yours and fair enough

I suggest same back four but who knows therafter and at this moment in time I''m not sure CH knows either.

I believe Snoddy wil start as will Howson but as for our formation and the rest of the team ????

Can we afford to lose howsons creativeness by playing him deeper? I don''t think we can

For me it''s johnson tettey and howson, hoolahan as an impact player if at all

"I''ve said (maybe on another thread) you can''t question Hoolahan''s ability but for his attitude alone I wouldn''t want him anywhere near the team at the moment...."

It''s his attitude on the pitch that matters, he put in a good performance against Villa, Goal, nearly scored another, full of running all game. Nothing wrong with his attitude when playing for us. If your talking about what you perceive his overall attitude over the last few months to be, that''s a personal opinion of yours, and nothing to do with whether he is going to put a shift in when he plays or not.

I''d personally play the same team, they capitulated against Villa but up until the Villa goal were totally in charge and at home if they as a team have more mental strength they will see off Stoke. I''d be tempted to swap Howson for BJ at some point depending on how its going, but maybe not straight from the start as he is not 100%.