Sign in to follow this  
Ken Aries

Will Greeno Ever Save A Penalty?

i suppose its a bit harsh to criticise greeno as he made at least two 1st class saves on saturday. nonetheless, am i the only one who''s more than a little bit annoyed by his total inability to save penalties? he seemed to get pretty close to the diver''s penalty shot, but you just felt with a bit more effort and determination he could have stretched across and stopped a goal. after all, it didnt look a particularly well struck penalty to me, it was to close to greeno for that!

If he keeps making saves like he did on sat or during the last 3 years I am quite happy for him not to save a penalty during his whole career - he faces over 200 shots each year and only 12 pens in a bad year - keep on as you are Greeno.

OTBC

Of course Greeno will soon save a penalty and I wouldn''t mind betting that once he''s saved one he''ll save plenty more.

If you''ve watched Johnson carefully this season you''ll notice that so far he has whacked most of his (many) penalties straight down the middle.

Greeno was clearly not going to commit himself until Johnson hit it - obviously hoping that Johnson would hit it down the middle again - which of course he didn''t do. So when Johnson hit it to Greeno''s right although it wasn''t right in the corner he hit it hard enough to make it impossible for Greeno to save it.

Just one of those things and in no way Greeno''s fault.

My thoughts too stephen,

I wasn''t confident when they were awarded the penalty because AJ don''t miss em and Greeno never saves em.

Surely he will one day !

he''s another more pressing question, when will you guys get off greeno''s back, he''s been our most consistent performer all season with very little protection from the defence.  He makes at leat two or three world class saves a game and all we get is people having a go at him.  far as I''m concerned green''s our player of the season and without him we would be down by now. 

Thts wot i think! Like when Norwich win evry1 iz like! Wow! The players were gr8 bla bla bla. ''n'' then when we loose or have a bad match all these so called supporters start trying to find sum1 2 blame the whole match on!!!!! The players wont do any better if fans start critisising them all the time!

i am giving him a chance. i did say that it''s perhaps a bit unfair to criticise him given that he put in an otherwise excellent performance on saturday. but i still say, when is he going to save a penalty. it must be something that bugs him as much as it does me. it''s just that there is a certain monotonous inevitability about it; every time city concede a penalty you know it''s a goal to the opposition.

also up the other end of the park, we haven''t really been getting many penaltys this year at all have we?

Picture the scene, it''s the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany. Greeno makes it into the final 23 man squad for England, behind Robinson and James. Robinson starts the tournament as No.1, but gets injured in the last group game and is out for the tournament. Greeno is No.2 now! James starts, and England get to the final - but then disaster after 10 mins, James is injured. Greeno must come on in the final against Germany (well it has to be doesn''t it?!). It ends 0-0. Extra time....Ends 1-1! Penalty shoot out....And Greeno has never saved one before in his career....He only now has the whole of England resting on his shoulders! Might be a good time to make his first save, although I would prefer it if he got some practice in before hand...Like before the end of this season! Greeno is a great player though.

How about we go to Fulham needing a win to stay up. Its 2-1 to us and they get a penalty in the last minute. Greeno pulls off a tremendous block and Shackell whacks it into touch. Now that would be a priceless moment if a tad nerve wracking.

Penalties is without a doubt the only weak part of Green''s game - he''s an excellent shot stopper, kicks well and I''ve never seen him fail to deal with a cross when he comes off his line. Too often Greeno dives too early, making the taker''s mind up for them. A lot of penalty takers have no real idea where they''ll put the ball and often wait for the keeper to commit one way or another. If Green held his nerve and stood up more, he''d probably start to save one or two.

People, give the guy a break. If it wasnt for him we would be relegated by now and ive lost count of how many almost certain goals he has kept out of our net. Alright i admit i havent seen him save a penalty recently but if he keeps us in games like he does then i dont really care.

i risk accusations of trying to keep a topic i started alive here. but i think one or two people who have responded to this thread possibly thought i dont rate greeno as a goalie. if so, you''re wrong. i think he''s an excellent keeper. he''s certainly the best keeper within the club and fully deserves his place in the england squad. furthermore, he deserved the 8 or 9 out of 10 rating that various football writers gave him for the palace game. if im guilty  of  anything, it is to chose the wrong moment to criticise greeno over the issue of penalty saves. if greeno had played badly in general on saturday, then i dont think many people would have disagreed with my critisism of his inability to save pens. finally, i seem to remember a lot of people were on his back a few weeks ago and i think you''ll find i wasnt one of them.

Last summer i was flicking thru the sky channels and came across a game and was a bit surprised to see Greeno in goal - not playing for norwich. So i was drawn to watching and it turned out to be Keown''s testimonial game during which...

Greeno saved a penalty!!! Honest.  

Greeno is a superb keeper but I have to say his inability at penalty saving is grinding on me a bit.  If a pen is given against us and the player gets the ball on target, it''s a guarenteed goal.  I think he needs to work on it a bit

From a goalkeeper''s p.o.v. penalties are really hard!!! You stand on the line and by the time the striker''s kicked it, if you didn''t guess the right direction you''re pretty much screwed!! Plus it''s basically a confidence thing, you can be an awesome shot-stopper and have a bad record with penalties and you know that when you''re standing on the goal-line the only thing running through your mind is the bad penalty record that you''re currently plagued with! I guess you could argue that Greeno''s a professional and should be able to get over any mental block ... but I''m guessing that it''s easier said than done!!

Once he saves a penalty (especially if it''s whilst in the Prem or even on England duty) his confidence will rise and there''ll be no stopping him!!! Plus if it really was a huge issue within his game as a whole don''t you think they''d be putting extra effort in on the training ground?

A penalty is always going to favour the striker - he knows where he''s going to place the ball, the keeper''s always a second behind!! In theory all penalties should be scored.

Personally I dont think penalty shoot outs are fair ''cos the whole point in scoring iz bein able 2 get through da defenders and playing well and passing. But penaltys are kinda 50-50. Oviosly u have 2 have sum skill but it aint the whole team working together to get a goal it is a 1 on 1. But I guess tht is the only way...unless there iz another way...Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Anyone remember the Portsmouth game?

I was sat right behind Green and Yakubu was made to take the same penalty 3 times! Every time, Yakubu put the ball in the same corner, yet every time Green went the other way. We were all shouting "Dive to the right"...yet he didn''t learn!

How many chances do you need?

fair enough steven I accept that I was a bit harsh about what you said.  maybe his penatly saving isn''t that great, it''s like you say he''s a great keeper and we should be looking at the whole package.  You get the idiots on telling you he''s been poor this season and it makes you wonder what game they watch. Isn''t there some sort of coach we can get him like dave beasant

[quote]Anyone remember the Portsmouth game? I was sat right behind Green and Yakubu was made to take the same penalty 3 times! Every time, Yakubu put the ball in the same corner, yet every time Green went t...[/quote]

You no it iz alot harder than it looks out there. I''d like 2 c u have a try. xxx

Green has saved one penalty for Norwich!

15th of September 2002 at Portman Road. But Counago scored on the rebound, although the goal should have been disallowed because he was clearly in offside position.

Or am I wrong? Did the penalty hit the post? Did Green save it before it hit the post?