Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Do blame the forwards

I keep reading posts that suggest the forwards should not be blamed and that it is CH fault or the midfield...

Sorry but the midfield are out scoring those whose job it is to ind the net. This seasons failure is entirely down to the hapless state of our forwards and the pathetic amount of chances they, as a group, have converted.

RVW is a massive disappointment and waste of money. Elmander is a flop. Hooper is only saved from blushing by being slightly less c@&p than the others.

That is all.

I dont think anyone is not blaming the forwards,  they have been weak, accuracy poor and found wanting,  still waiting for a sriker to score for your club come the middle of march is not acceptable;  

however  neither their poor goal return nor our league position is solely down to them,  lack of fight (the whole team) lack of passing ability (spotlighted by BJ but also Snodgrass who is even worse this season), slow build up play (all of our midfield),  lack of drive to get forward, a  lack of central creativity (no wes = no midfield drive) and some shocking defensive choices have all contributed.

There were a couple of instances yesterday where RVW was in a great position/making a run and he was not picked out by Wes.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]There were a couple of instances yesterday where RVW was in a great position/making a run and he was not picked out by Wes.[/quote]

Spot on

This has happened game after game, more noticeably to Ricky but also hoops.

Even when they do pass its too firmly hit, behind them, finds the defender. That lack of quality and decision making in the final third has been our worst thing this season

If Johnson, Redmond and Snodgrass stopped shooting at every opportunity they get and looked for our strikers, maybe we''d score a few more goals.

RVW had one pass to him in the box yesterday. ONE PASS.
And to anyone that actually watches a strikers movement its clear to see his is pretty good. Many times during the game I was almost screaming out for Hoolahan or Redmond to put the ball through to him. Johnson tried once or twice over the top, but that never works. The crosses were poor.
Any striker will struggle when the players behind him aren''t picking out his runs. We have players who can do that, Fer for example a couple times putting a lovely ball through for Hooper to score. Hoolahan has that ability, as does Snoddy. Redmond could develop that area of his game too. But at the moment, despite Hooper and RVWs movement up front they aren''t being found.
Sure there are probably areas they could improve on, Hooper has missed a few very good chances since his last goal, RVW too. But for me the service is very very poor and its not surprising the midfielders are outscoring the strikers because they are shooting from range a lot, I think you''ve got one Snoddy and one Johnso goals from inside the box. Hoolahan too last week. Then Fer''s may have been, but two of his goals were pretty much solo efforts from what I remember. So the midfielders aren''t scoring because of the creativity of other midfielders providing them the opportunities in the box on the whole.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]If Johnson, Redmond and Snodgrass stopped shooting at every opportunity they get and looked for our strikers, maybe we''d score a few more goals.[/quote]
Snodgrass shooting at every opportunity?
I wish.
And Redmond has been shooting less and less. The only one I remember yesterday forces a very good save. And Johnson should shoot a bit less, but he has scored as many as anyone else in the team since Christmas...

In the summer what do we look for?

Better strikers or better midfielders, and given Hughtons expensive flops would you give him any money to spend?