Sign in to follow this  
Account Closed

Oh Well, There You Go.

Before watching the game I decided not to be crestfallen if things did not pan out as desired moreover when we scored I sought the whereabouts of my very beautiful wife and gave her a passionate kiss.I must hold back in future until the final whistle.Near the end of pre-season I posted here the following:Is this the strongest team ever in the history of our football club?Please forgive me if now  it causes offence, at the time I seriously believed those words.Oh Well, There You Go.

[quote user="Getalife"]Before watching the game I decided not to be crestfallen if things did not pan out as desired moreover when we scored I sought the whereabouts of my very beautiful wife and gave her a passionate kiss.I must hold back in future until the final whistle.Near the end of pre-season I posted here the following:Is this the strongest team ever in the history of our football club?Please forgive me if now  it causes offence, at the time I seriously believed those words.Oh Well, There You Go.[/quote]That''s why this situaution is so very painful

Strangely I still think that potentially it is! Just something not quite right........

It does have the potential there.However the mindset, tactics are all wrong.I htink however, the biggest mistake was nt getting a no 10.  It was obvious the RVw and Hooper wouldnt start together.  Without Hoolahan we have literally NOBODY that can create.Fer to improve CM,  "better" strikers, a fast winger.  Everything is there so we are told.  But there is no movement, creativity or ideas.

the main problems are the same ones we had last season

- we dont get enough players forward around the lone striker and in/around the box; we look most dangerous on the occasions we do; today wes, snoddy & redmond were too far off ricky (hooper ditto in previous games) and simply too deep.

- probably because of this our crossing is poor, too short, overhit, behind far too frequently, because too hard to find a single target (shockingly snodgrass has failed with more cross attempts (159) than the whole team has completed (150)) yet we focus on attacking down the right flank. Redmonds success rate is the highest of the wide player by quite a margin, Our second best crosser (pilks) languishes on the bench.

- our build up play is too slow; having been so deep the movement of the ball is too slow, snoddy in particular as painful in slowing play down, allowing the opponents to get restructured, and making our task of creating a chance. He is not alone though.

- bj passing simply does not help; marginally better today but even successful passes are too often out of step with the players run, compounding the problem above.

until these problems are solved all of our strikers will continue to suffer.

ZippersLeftFoot wrote the following post at 08/03/2014 9:02 PM:

the main problems are the same ones we had last season

...............................until these problems are solved all of our strikers will continue to suffer.

That sums up the problems very acurately indeed I believe. Hope the coaching staff  take note, even so rather late now.

These are all great points made.

I note that tv commentators are often incredulous at our tactics i.e. slow build up, not enough players in the box when we are ''attacking''.

It is all so frustrating to watch. We mostly cannot make a simple pass and the players do not seem to know what their team mates are doing or going to do.

The most criminal point is, we have been playing like this for nearly two years. I have not seen one of our players improve under this regime.

What on earth are our board thinking?

Yep yep yep... Spot on Hog and Brienne....

I love our squad... Johnson needs intensive shooting training, Elmander can sod off, RVW needs to find his confidence asap, Redmond will get even better with time, Turner can go and a handful of players need to get back to former glory form.... Other than those observations: we really should be doing better.

I blame the manager.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]These are all great points made. I note that tv commentators are often incredulous at our tactics i.e. slow build up, not enough players in the box when we are ''attacking''. It is all so frustrating to watch. We mostly cannot make a simple pass and the players do not seem to know what their team mates are doing or going to do. The most criminal point is, we have been playing like this for nearly two years. I have not seen one of our players improve under this regime. What on earth are our board thinking?[/quote]

The only point I disagree with is we have played with this passing inaccuracy and slow build up for 2 years;  it has epitomised our play in all three prem seasons.  

During Lamberts season an extraordinary proportion of our goals came through set pieces,   something we do much less of now.

Perhaps next time we score I''ll passionately kiss your wife for you ?

I will add you to the list to be drawn from the hat which is now very very long. Never give up hope, however the prerequisite  to first be drawn from the hat is Norwich must win by 6 clear goals, on 2 occasions in the current season.

PS. Do not hold your breath.[:D][:D]