Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Stoke

Yes NN - I was very disappointed too. Whatever everybody else does we have to get at least another six points to give ourselves a fighting chance. However, at least we got a point: whilst we needed three it increases the distance between us and some of the other teams in greater danger.

Thank you for your report, Ricardo.

It''s going to the wire with all the teams from 10th place down going to be involved in a relegation battle at least to the penultimate game of the season.

I agree with you that we''ll need less than 40 points in order to stay up, and as Nutty says they may come from unexpected games.

I think it is up to the players now, they have the ability. They need to find that bit extra to get us over the line.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]
[quote user=" Badger"]Thanks Ricardo.

Looking at the table

and the fixtures, I would still rather be in out position than that of Fulham,

Cardiff, Sunderland, West Brom and Palace.[/quote]

I still agree with this Badger. But it''s difficult to appreciate after the

disappointment of yesterday''s result. But come the end of the season yesterday''s

result will be a positive in the points total whether we stay up or not.

It''s becoming harder to remain positive but I said last week I thought we''d

stay up and I also said that we''d drop points in games we felt needed to win and

pick up points in games we didn''t expect them from. Looking back 5 points from

the last 3 home games with 4 of them coming from Spurs and Citeh. Without those

4 we would be in trouble.

So it''s on to St Mary''s. I reckon any points won there will be unexpected.

Maybe our run in will be our own version of "Tales Of The Unexpected".

[/quote]Yes Nigel, it''s impossible to say where the points will come from but after 29 games with a point a game average, it''s fair to assume that the remaining games will produce a similar number. If we had held on yesterday I would have said we are almost there but I think we always knew that this season would be a struggle right to the end. It is what I predicted in November and at Xmas I said that there would be a lot of teams with less than 40 points come May. I am prepared to say now that 38 points will be o.k. and maybe even 36 will do it but 34 or 35 will be a real nerve jangling coming to the final game.I just wish that after all these decades of support I could turn my brain off at night and get some sleep instead of running through all the permutations of what might go wrong. I think we will be just on the right side of things but it doesn''t stop me worrying that we might not.

I notice some of the National press didn''t rate Hoolahan''s contribution, and called Snoddy man of the match.Funny how opinions can differ so wildly.

It is a worry. Especially after a disappointing result. I''ve got no idea whether we will stay up. Because we have done enough to stay out of the bottom three I''m still hopeful. But should we drop into the bottom three I''m not confident we''d escape. I can''t wait for the season to end. Perhaps we''ll change the manager. Whether a new manager would perform any better next season should we stay up I''m doubtful. But at least it would be more fun if we all got behind the team again. Even if only for a short while.

Now I have had time to think about yesterday, all I can say is.....we didnt lose, obvious I know....but that was crucial, had we lost in the latter stages of the match it would have been a huge blow, in particular in terms of turning the crowd even more than the boos at the end which sounded restrained (?). Also, I can understand why the press gave Snoddy MoM , for me his energy and drive is so crucial to our team and despite his efforts Wes just didnt do enough for me, despite him doing well.....but, from Wes right now "doing well" is not what we require, he needs to be the match winner and he had a game yesterday that offered him that opportunity and he didnt take it, harsh but true. 

Morty making Snoddy man of the match would have enraged the bloke sitting behind me! He never stops, every misplaced pass, corner etc; he even moans because he doesn''t win headers from GK kick outs - + never notices a single good thing he does.He''s even older than I am - I wonder sometimes how two people on the same side can see a game so differently!

[quote user=" Badger"]Morty making Snoddy man of the match would have enraged the bloke sitting behind me! He never stops, every misplaced pass, corner etc; he even moans because he doesn''t win headers from GK kick outs - + never notices a single good thing he does.He''s even older than I am - I wonder sometimes how two people on the same side can see a game so differently![/quote]I have similar who sit near me, I''d surprised I haven''t chewed my own lips off, I have to bite them so much at every match.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It is a worry. Especially after a disappointing result. I''ve got no idea whether we will stay up. Because we have done enough to stay out of the bottom three I''m still hopeful. But should we drop into the bottom three I''m not confident we''d escape. I can''t wait for the season to end. Perhaps we''ll change the manager. Whether a new manager would perform any better next season should we stay up I''m doubtful. But at least it would be more fun if we all got behind the team again. Even if only for a short while.

[/quote]That''s funny Nutty...........I thought you said you loved going to the football ? [;)]

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 09/03/2014 2:07 PM:

It is a worry. Especially after a disappointing result.

Its been a worry since the begining of the season, shame we have left it too late to do anything.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]That''s funny Nutty...........I thought you said you loved going to the football ? [;)][/quote]

Well yes I do! It''s like a box of chocoaltes without that little menu card so you never know what you''re gonna get! I take the labels off all the tins in my cupboard to get a similar experience[;)] But that''s not quite true of this season and what I was really referring to was the inevitability of it all. Not just the manager but the reaction to the manager. It seems everything the team do and us supporters do is pre-determined this time around. Hell I''ve even started putting one arm in the air everytime Snoddy takes a corner. Get some funny looks in "the blankets" for that one. Still there''s always the pub and the possibility of random old drinkers cheering me up after the game! [;)]

[quote user="Brienne"]nutty nigel wrote the following post at 09/03/2014 2:07 PM:

It is a worry. Especially after a disappointing result.

Its been a worry since the begining of the season, shame we have left it too late to do anything.[/quote]

Well, not for me all season. At most off and on for the past couple of months. Have you seriously been worrying all season? Have you not enjoyed any of the games. Anyway, what could we have done about it earlier?