Sign in to follow this  
pete

Press just don't understand

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/norwich-boss-chris-hughton-under-3224027?

Damian Lewis get yourself down to Carrow Rd to find out and move out of your ivory tower in London.

You obviously know nothing about City a club brought up on attractive football being treated to Hughton''s brand of whatever this is.

I think its a good article, and it shows just how deluded some of our fans are.This is where we are now, this is pretty much how its going to be for the foreseeable future.This is reality, not Roy of the Rovers.

[quote user="morty"]I think its a good article, and it shows just how deluded some of our fans are.This is where we are now, this is pretty much how its going to be for the foreseeable future.This is reality, not Roy of the Rovers.[/quote]He isn''t saying the fans are deluded. He is saying the directors are:"Norwich, however, seem to have convinced themselves they are a bigger club than they are. Why else would the smoke signals continue to come out of Carrow Road suggesting the Sword of Damocles remains over Hughton''s head?"He is talking about the club''s hierarchy with that reference to smoke signals coming out of Carrow Road.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]I think its a good article, and it shows just how deluded some of our fans are.This is where we are now, this is pretty much how its going to be for the foreseeable future.This is reality, not Roy of the Rovers.[/quote]He isn''t saying the fans are deluded. He is saying the directors are:"Norwich, however, seem to have convinced themselves they are a bigger club than they are. Why else would the smoke signals continue to come out of Carrow Road suggesting the Sword of Damocles remains over Hughton''s head?"He is talking about the club''s hierarchy with that reference to smoke signals coming out of Carrow Road.[/quote]It depends how you interpret said smoke signals. Or more correctly how you really want to interpret them.They are taking David McNally''s statement and interpreting it the way they want to.I interpreted it as a cuddle to the fans who are panicing, if the board didn''t back Hughton, he would have been gone a long time ago.

Most of these journos don''t watch us play more than once or twice a season so their opinion is best ignored.

I have just seen a quote from a journo :-"Norwich seem to have convinced themselves that they are a bigger club than they actually are"A point that a few should possibly mull on, for a while.

[quote user="morty"]I have just seen a quote from a journo :-"Norwich seem to have convinced themselves that they are a bigger club than they actually are"A point that a few should possibly mull on, for a while.[/quote]But that quote, as already explained, is aimed not at the fans but the directors.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]I have just seen a quote from a journo :-"Norwich seem to have convinced themselves that they are a bigger club than they actually are"A point that a few should possibly mull on, for a while.[/quote]But that quote, as already explained, is aimed not at the fans but the directors.[/quote]Really?Perhaps it actually fits quite nicely for a section of the fans too.

I''m not sure I agree that the quote is entirely aimed at the board Purple. It may well be that the journalist writing the article is aware that the quotes that have been so widely mis-interpreted were effectively a direct response to supporter unrest.Anyway, I am inclined to agree with Morty. People vociferously booing after a draw with an established Prem team known for their robust style, have probably lost some sense of perspective in my opinion. Especially after we had beaten a Champions League challenger comprehensively in the previous home match.

Laughable really , all these clubs that have sacked their managers and nobody gives a toss yet just the whispers that nice guy Hughton might be for the bullet and Norwich are acting like a club way above their station .  Please can we have a nastier manager when Hughton goes at the end of the season .

[quote user="morty"]I have just seen a quote from a journo :-"Norwich seem to have convinced themselves that they are a bigger club than they actually are"A point that a few should possibly mull on, for a while.[/quote]Most clubs think that though, don''t they ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="morty"]I have just seen a quote from a journo :-"Norwich seem to have convinced themselves that they are a bigger club than they actually are"A point that a few should possibly mull on, for a while.[/quote]Most clubs think that though, don''t they ?[/quote]They probably do, yes.Some of our fans really do need a reality check though, IS sums things up nicely, just above.

Suggest a look at Paddy Davitt''s match report and comments today may help tip the balance back to some sense. At least he watches us every week.

I do not know anyone who thinks we are a bigger club than we are. We simply want some decent football played. The fear now is we get relegated and Hughton is retained.

I know what the binfolk want :-(

[quote user="I.S."]I''m not sure I agree that the quote is entirely aimed at the board Purple. It may well be that the journalist writing the article is aware that the quotes that have been so widely mis-interpreted were effectively a direct response to supporter unrest.Anyway, I am inclined to agree with Morty. People vociferously booing after a draw with an established Prem team known for their robust style, have probably lost some sense of perspective in my opinion. Especially after we had beaten a Champions League challenger comprehensively in the previous home match.[/quote]Yes it is:"Norwich, however, seem to have convinced themselves they are a bigger club than they are. Why else would the smoke signals continue to come out of Carrow Road suggesting the Sword of Damocles remains over Hughton''s head?"He is clearly talking there about the directors, because only they can sack Hughton. He is referring to what he says is smoke-signal spin still, this late in the season, from the club''s hierarchy hinting that he might get the push. If the reporter''s view was that the directors were being realistic and it was the fans who had lost their sense of perspective then he would have written that. But he didn''t. The attack is entirely against the seven people in the boardroom.

I.S. wrote the following post at 10/03/2014 11:16 AM:

People vociferously booing after a draw with an established Prem team known for their robust style, have probably lost some sense of perspective in my opinion.

Thats a fair comment but only applies to the vociferous booers, of whom there were very few. That small group of cretins should not be ballooned to encompass all those that are unhappy with CH.

All this Norwich should lower their expecttations and be satisfied with what they''re given is nonsence. Very few would expect us to be anything more than a lower mid table team in our current stage of growth, the problem however is that those that see us regularly, unlike journo''s, can see us sleepwalking into the championship.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]"Norwich, however, seem to have convinced themselves they are a bigger club than they are. Why else would the smoke signals continue to come out of Carrow Road suggesting the Sword of Damocles remains over Hughton''s head?"He is clearly talking there about the directors, because only they can sack Hughton. He is referring to what he says is smoke-signal spin still, this late in the season, from the club''s hierarchy hinting that he might get the push.[/quote]

This is all down to McNallys interview the other week, which some have jumped on mis-interpreted completely.   He was merely stating how it is - that no manager is safe.   To put any other spin on it is just wishful thinking, or hyping up something that isn''t there. 

Why would the journalist not have said "Norwich''s board" rather than Norwich then Purple? The latter implies to me that he could well be talking about the club as a whole and not just the management hierarchy.

And do you not think smoke signals could also refer to the booing from the fans at the end of most home matches and the noticeable negative atmosphere before the match had even kicked off?

I don''t want to argue the toss with you, but unless you''ve verified with the journalist that he is in fact purely referring to the Norwich board I will be happy to keep an open mind with regards to who he is talking about.

I can''t disagree with anything you say there Brienne, and I cannot believe there are any fans who are not concerned with our playing style and lack of goals under the current management. I don''t think anyone is suggesting we should be happy with what we''re witnessing currently, and I''m certainly not, but it''s very easy to get caught up in the moment rather than maintain a bit of perspective.

That said, I heard a LOT of booing from behind me in the Barclay at the final whistle - it was certainly more than a small group IMO.

The press do not get it at all. They just think we are moaning based on league position and unrealistic expectations which is simply not the case or the reason for most of the discontent. Unless they watch us every week they won''t get it. The archant journo''s do and despite the fact that i have in the past found their lack of willingness to upset the applecart frustrating and the fact they they have to veil their criticism at times they are the few members of the press (along with Adrian Durham strangely) who do get it.

[quote user="I.S."]Why would the journalist not have said "Norwich''s board" rather than Norwich then Purple? The latter implies to me that he could well be talking about the club as a whole and not just the management hierarchy.

And do you not think smoke signals could also refer to the booing from the fans at the end of most home matches and the noticeable negative atmosphere before the match had even kicked off?

I don''t want to argue the toss with you, but unless you''ve verified with the journalist that he is in fact purely referring to the Norwich board I will be happy to keep an open mind with regards to who he is talking about.[/quote]He is talking specifically about the directors sending out the message that they may still sack Hugton this season. It is entirely clear. For what it is worth I don''t for a moment think Hughton will be sacked now, and I am dubious that there really are these signals coming from the directors. But that is what the reporter is saying is happening.

Does it annoy anybody else how he describes us as a "decent family club"?

Also the "Norwich, however, seem to have convinced themselves they are a bigger club than they are."

Yeah how dare we dream to improve ourselves. We should just accept our place basically....

As someone who supported the decision to keep Hughton back in December (the logical time to make a change, if you''re going to) and still thinks it was the right thing to do, I still think this is a pretty stupid article. 

The reason is simple.  If you look at the table, despite being "2 points off the top 10"  City are very much in the relegation dogfight. To deny it is as bad as to over-state the level of risk.  A couple of points are crucial at our level of the table, and the 2 points difference between us and Stoke are simply the difference between a significant risk of relegation, and being on course for safety.  (I also don''t think Mark Hughes can be very relaxed - a bad run over the next few games and he would suddenly be under pressure).

If you look at the 6 teams fighting against relegation they are :

Fulham - have changed their manager twice this season.

Sunderland - one change of manager this season.

West Brom - one change of manager.

Palace - one change of manager.

Cardiff - one change of manager (although in a comic-opera way, but it nevertheless means the new manager in still in his honeymoon period with the owner).

Norwich - have stuck with their manager.

Not hard to spot the odd one out is it ?  And so it''s hardly surprising the City board have been putting plenty of pressure on Hughton.  It doesn''t mean we/they are getting above ourselves.  If anything, it is a bit surprising he hasn''t been sacked as a knee-jerk reaction to some bad results.  For me I''m glad the Board have kept their nerve and not sacked him, showing they are not going to make a short term decision.  But this article is way off base.

[quote user="vlad666"]Does it annoy anybody else how he describes us as a "decent family club"?

Also the "Norwich, however, seem to have convinced themselves they are a bigger club than they are."

Yeah how dare we dream to improve ourselves. We should just accept our place basically....[/quote]No, should it?There is a point where you have to put your Roy of The Rovers comic down though, and look at actual reality.

Journo from outside of Norfolk, who doesnt watch us every week, momentarily averts his attention from big club soft p*rn and snootily and ignorantly sneers down his nose at the concept of an unhappy Norwich fan and looks lazily at the table, then writes ill-informed verbal diarrhoea from the pigheaded-self-important-mindfart-broadcasting platform he has somehow been given shocker. Thats journalism for you... 

Morty, it annoys me. I don''t like this tag of a nice family club who everybody loves playing. I want teams to hate coming here and playing us. Knowing that we''re going to be in their face for 90 mins.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

[quote user="vlad666"]Morty, it annoys me. I don''t like this tag of a nice family club who everybody loves playing. I want teams to hate coming here and playing us. Knowing that we''re going to be in their face for 90 mins.

Familiarity breeds contempt.[/quote]Surely that is achievable through football means though, and has nothing to do with peoples perceptions of us as a club? I would have thought that "niceness" is something for fans, and it makes little difference to players.You won''t change peoples perceptions of the nice Norfolk club, and its Norfolk supporters ever, I don''t think.