Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

RVW.. is it time to admit we've got it wrong?

I know that RVW and Hooper can score goals. No doubt about that! But imo Hughtons way of playing them has ripped out their confidence in their goalscoring ability! Surely that ability is what attracted Hughton to sign them in the first place. Good strikers play on their instinct. They don''t need to think about how they are going to finish or score....it just happens. Top strikers know that if they miss then the chances are that another chance will come along soon. RVW and Hoops don''t have that luxury! Who can imagine what goes through their minds that spilt second

before their attept on goal. "This is probably my only chance" "I haven''t scored for ages" and so on. And while they are thinking that they aren''t concentrating on doing what they do best.....Hitting the back of the net! Regardless of how much money they earn they are still human. No wonder RVW lacks confidence!!! Anyone striker would in this Norwich side!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this because I can''t be bothered to read through. Imagine if we had binned Iwan Roberts after his first season.

The boy is getting crap service, playing up front on his own and I don''t think he has ever been given 90 minutes. He''s in one week out the next, the team is playing negative tactics. All this is hardly conducive to getting the best out of our record signing.

He''s got the pedigree, his ability was there for everyone to see before he joined. That eye for goal doesn''t disappear overnight.

Personally I think we need to change the system to suit HIS game because we really do need to start scoring more than one goal a match very soon!!!

Agree with Carlos, he (and hooper, who been little better) will be much better next season. Exponentially so if we can improve the supply.

Both have talent but are currently on a starvation diet

[quote user="priceyrice"] I just can''t comprehend why we bought both these strikers when Hughton wants to play with a lone striker, we may as-well have stuck with Morrison and Holt, both more suited for the role than our current strike force. [/quote]

Agree with this 100%

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

[quote user="priceyrice"] I just can''t comprehend why we bought both these strikers when Hughton wants to play with a lone striker, we may as-well have stuck with Morrison and Holt, both more suited for the role than our current strike force. [/quote]

Agree with this 100%

[/quote]Except of course that Holt left us, and Morrisson insisted he go.So it wasn''t really an option.

There are always options. That''s what the manager, CEO and co are there to resolve.

If the problems behind Morison being unhappy at the club had been addressed he may well have stayed. I believe the way a number of fans did little to encourage his performances would have also had an impact on this.

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]

There are always options. That''s what the manager, CEO and co are there to resolve.

If the problems behind Morison being unhappy at the club had been addressed he may well have stayed. I believe the way a number of fans did little to encourage his performances would have also had an impact on this.

[/quote]No, sorry, Morrisson utterly insisted that he leave, it was not negotiable.

It was not negotiable because whatever was going on behind closed doors was not resolved by NCFC plus many fans got on his back for the simple reason he was not Grant Holt. Would you stay in a job if people treated you the way he was treated? I don''t blame him for wanting to go. I blame NCFC for not doing something about it.

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]It was not negotiable because whatever was going on behind closed doors was not resolved by NCFC plus many fans got on his back for the simple reason he was not Grant Holt. Would you stay in a job if people treated you the way he was treated? I don''t blame him for wanting to go. I blame NCFC for not doing something about it.[/quote]It was not negotiable because he said "I''m off, goodbye", he made it perfectly clear that he was walking out, and there was nothing the club could do about it.

morty you seem to be ignoring the fact that something made Morison want to go and that something was not dealt with by NCFC. No-one leaves a job if they''re content. Morison was clearly uncontented which is why he chose to leave and I don''t disagree about him wanting to go. It''s the how and why that I take issue with.

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]morty you seem to be ignoring the fact that something made Morison want to go and that something was not dealt with by NCFC. No-one leaves a job if they''re content. Morison was clearly uncontented which is why he chose to leave and I don''t disagree about him wanting to go. It''s the how and why that I take issue with.[/quote]Who said it was Norwich City''s issue to sort out? Would your employer get involved with something similar?The fact of the matter (yes I am using the word "fact") was that he told the club he was off, and it wasn''t negotiable, regardless what Norwich city did, or didn''t do.

Van Wolfsinkel is a very good player but not the way we play.

I think you have to put it down to hughton and the scouts. 1 thing signing a quality player but you have to play him in a role he''s suited to. He plays as a second striker and sits on the shoulder of the last defender. He hasn''t had an opportunity to do that for Norwich city atall.

Saying he''s recieved decent service is utter rubbish. He makes run after run and still doesn''t get the ball he wants. Lump it up to him and expect him to take it down, take players on and shoot isn''t going to happen. Not because he isn''t any good it''s because it''s not what he does.

I doubt hughton will change his tactics but he really does need to. Hooper & RvW will score goals but they both rely on service in and around the box. Expecting them to chase lost balls, create something from nothing and come deep for the ball, they won''t score. Put through balls and crosses into the box and they WILL score.

Hold on a moment ............ if RvW (and Hooper for that matter) aren''t up to it who do you want?

Benteke? He revels in being able to challenge for crosses and through balls? Wouldn''t be a lot of good here then, we don''t get any decent crosses in to challenge for and he wouldn''t be playing with other attacking players (Weimann, Agbonlahor) for through balls so that he wasn''t outnumbered three to one all the time.

How about Suarez? He revels in quick interplay with forwards nearby and balls played quickly into him in the box. Wouldn''t be a lot of good here then. We don''t get players near to our strikers for quick interplay and all our attacks seem to be laboured and slow. We''ve got nobody to play telling balls into him in the box because we close down the space in the box so there is little room to play the balls into anyway.

You''ll have to help me out now........ who do you want .............. and how would he be able to play in our team?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Hold on a moment ............ if RvW (and Hooper for that matter) aren''t up to it who do you want?

Benteke? He revels in being able to challenge for crosses and through balls? Wouldn''t be a lot of good here then, we don''t get any decent crosses in to challenge for and he wouldn''t be playing with other attacking players (Weimann, Agbonlahor) for through balls so that he wasn''t outnumbered three to one all the time.

How about Suarez? He revels in quick interplay with forwards nearby and balls played quickly into him in the box. Wouldn''t be a lot of good here then. We don''t get players near to our strikers for quick interplay and all our attacks seem to be laboured and slow. We''ve got nobody to play telling balls into him in the box because we close down the space in the box so there is little room to play the balls into anyway.

You''ll have to help me out now........ who do you want .............. and how would he be able to play in our team?[/quote]Great post

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]Hold on a moment ............ if RvW (and Hooper for that matter) aren''t up to it who do you want?

You''ll have to help me out now........ who do you want .............. and how would he be able to play in our team?[/quote]Great post[/quote]yup spot on

I think the tactics are wrong for RvW. I have a feeling that in someone elses team he''d score a fair few. Maybe he''s not cut out to be at a team which usually has less of the possession and doesnt dominate games. Perhaps he is too much of a luxury player. Certain player dont fit certain teams, just look at Torres. When at Liverpool, undoubtedly the best striker in the division, then he moves to Chelsea and he''s never looked right. May sound silly, but play RvW up front for a top team he''d probably score plenty. Grant Holt was the perfect striker for us, he''d gain us ground, win fouls, carve something out. Ricky is a racehorse. No offence to Holt, but he was a work horse, and this is probably what a club like Norwich, who wont have the best players, will need to compete. Think RvW is just the wrong fit for us

Yellow Wall has it spot on.

I was going to say that it might have been a different story if we had got Toivonen for the AM/SS role, would we still have played inverted wingers? It does appear to me that our lack of goals is to trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

I think you''re right but that "someone else''s team" he''d fit so well in to probably play at Sloughbottom Park on Sunday mornings.

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]Van Wolfsinkel is a very good player but not the way we play.

I think you have to put it down to hughton and the scouts. 1 thing signing a quality player but you have to play him in a role he''s suited to. He plays as a second striker and sits on the shoulder of the last defender. He hasn''t had an opportunity to do that for Norwich city atall.

Saying he''s recieved decent service is utter rubbish. He makes run after run and still doesn''t get the ball he wants. Lump it up to him and expect him to take it down, take players on and shoot isn''t going to happen. Not because he isn''t any good it''s because it''s not what he does.

I doubt hughton will change his tactics but he really does need to. Hooper & RvW will score goals but they both rely on service in and around the box. Expecting them to chase lost balls, create something from nothing and come deep for the ball, they won''t score. Put through balls and crosses into the box and they WILL score.[/quote]

THIS, is the nail on the head. For those yokels who say RVW should be playing in Sunday league, this should be easy enough to understand. If you only ever watch NCFC play, maybe this is why you don''t think RVW is any good - because he can''t do what Grant Holt did - ie be a workhorse and make his own chances because of a lack of quality behind him. In teams at the top of the table, the strikers only have to FINISH moves off. RVW would be great for Arsenal, Chelsea, City etc. Sadly, whilst we have an inferior midfield and inept tactics, we need someone much more combative as the loan striker.

This unbiased view from The Guardian today:When the time comes to proclaim the most misguided signing of the season, Cardiff''s capture of Andreas Cornelius will take some beating – but Ricky van Wolfswinkel is giving him a good run for Norwich''s money. £8.5m of Norwich''s money to be precise, and advanced arithmetic tells us that that works out at, let''s see now, yes, £8.5m per goal. He struck that goal with his very first shot for the club and since then, nothing in 20 appearances. True, he does not exactly have scoring opportunities lavished upon him in Chris Hughton''s austere set-up, but he makes sloppy use of his meagre rations. And his all-round play seems to be deteriorating; against Stoke on Saturday his touch seemed clumsy and his passing wonky (mind you, he was not alone in that). He is either chronically short of confidence or badly out of his depth. Picking him seems an act of outrageous optimism. Or desperation, since, of the other strikers, Gary Hooper has not netted since Boxing Day and Johan Elmander and Luciano Becchio don''t look like they will ever trouble Premier League goalkeepers. All four of those strikers were signed by Hughton and at the moment it looks like he does not know how to get the best out of them or their best is just not good enough. Or both. Paul Doyle

So Purple would you say it''s:a) He is chronically short of confidenceb) Badly out of his depthor c) he does not exactly have scoring opportunities lavished upon him in Chris Hughton''s austere set-up?I think I will go for c) followed by a) and I will still wait to see about b) as I cannot believe a Dutch international would be so far out of his depth unless there were other things to take into consideration.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]So Purple would you say it''s:a) He is chronically short of confidenceb) Badly out of his depthor c) he does not exactly have scoring opportunities lavished upon him in Chris Hughton''s austere set-up?I think I will go for c) followed by a) and I will still wait to see about b) as I cannot believe a Dutch international would be so far out of his depth unless there were other things to take into consideration.[/quote]I am not the best person to ask, because I have only seen RvW play football three times. He came on after 87 minutes against Cardiff and after 69 minutes against Man Utd, and he started and lasted for 72 minutes against Spurs. So, roughly, with a bit of added time, 100 minutes of football.But based on the 72 minutes against a poor (or jet-lagged) Spurs team, when if anything the opportunity was there for him to impress, he produced an anonymous and mistake-ridden performance. I thought he was hopeless, and the standing ovation a kind of post-modernist joke. But apparently it was meant seriously.There are, as you suggest, some mitigating circumstances. The tactical set-up does not suit him. But from what I saw there is nothing to his game apart from, presumably, a reasonable ability to take clear-cut chances that present themselves to him. But you need more than that. You need to be able to create chances for yourself and for others, and to be part of the build-up. And from what little I have seen and all I''ve read that he cannot do those things.He is a pure goalscorer who might do OK playing off a target-man in a 4-4-2. But that is not where we are at.