Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

RVW.. is it time to admit we've got it wrong?

16 hours without a goal, received decent service in better performances and still a solitary goal (From a miss hit Whittaker shot) to his name.we spent a club record on Ricky, expectation levels were high, he scored on his debut and things looked on the up.one or 2 shaky performances (Spurs away being a highlight) and it was "he''ll do fine, just adjusting to the game"... after an injury lay off it was "Give him time he''ll start firing them in soon..."but he hasn''t.. chance after chance have come and gone (Everton away was comical), and the performances have got worse and worse... is it a confidence thing? no, the lack of ability in games is now so painfully evident to see. Ricky can play a pass and thats about it... No physical presence, cant shoot, cant get into positions to create a chance, cant cross and lacks anything in his game to show he can adapt.He''s a nice guy and someone who when he first came in I thought would be fantastic... but its not worked has it? 8.5 million is a hell of a lot to spend on a duffer for a club our size...You gave it a go Ricky and thanks.. but perhaps best for all parties if you look to elsewhere next season.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]16 hours without a goal, received decent service in better performances and still a solitary goal (From a miss hit Whittaker shot) to his name.we spent a club record on Ricky, expectation levels were high, he scored on his debut and things looked on the up.one or 2 shaky performances (Spurs away being a highlight) and it was "he''ll do fine, just adjusting to the game"... after an injury lay off it was "Give him time he''ll start firing them in soon..."but he hasn''t.. chance after chance have come and gone (Everton away was comical), and the performances have got worse and worse... is it a confidence thing? no, the lack of ability in games is now so painfully evident to see. Ricky can play a pass and thats about it... No physical presence, cant shoot, cant get into positions to create a chance, cant cross and lacks anything in his game to show he can adapt.He''s a nice guy and someone who when he first came in I thought would be fantastic... but its not worked has it? 8.5 million is a hell of a lot to spend on a duffer for a club our size...You gave it a go Ricky and thanks.. but perhaps best for all parties if you look to elsewhere next season.

[/quote]

What''s he worth after this horrible season? He won''t bring back a fraction of the outlay. He stays next year and comes off of the bench unless he proves he deserves a spot in the starting eleven.

[quote user="vonbonds"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]16 hours without a goal, received decent service in better performances and still a solitary goal (From a miss hit Whittaker shot) to his name.we spent a club record on Ricky, expectation levels were high, he scored on his debut and things looked on the up.one or 2 shaky performances (Spurs away being a highlight) and it was "he''ll do fine, just adjusting to the game"... after an injury lay off it was "Give him time he''ll start firing them in soon..."but he hasn''t.. chance after chance have come and gone (Everton away was comical), and the performances have got worse and worse... is it a confidence thing? no, the lack of ability in games is now so painfully evident to see. Ricky can play a pass and thats about it... No physical presence, cant shoot, cant get into positions to create a chance, cant cross and lacks anything in his game to show he can adapt.He''s a nice guy and someone who when he first came in I thought would be fantastic... but its not worked has it? 8.5 million is a hell of a lot to spend on a duffer for a club our size...You gave it a go Ricky and thanks.. but perhaps best for all parties if you look to elsewhere next season.

[/quote]

What''s he worth after this horrible season? He won''t bring back a fraction of the outlay. He stays next year and comes off of the bench unless he proves he deserves a spot in the starting eleven.[/quote]1% of something (transfer wise) is better than 100% of nothing which is what he currently gives us now!

[quote user="vonbonds"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]16 hours without a goal, received decent service in better performances and still a solitary goal (From a miss hit Whittaker shot) to his name.we spent a club record on Ricky, expectation levels were high, he scored on his debut and things looked on the up.one or 2 shaky performances (Spurs away being a highlight) and it was "he''ll do fine, just adjusting to the game"... after an injury lay off it was "Give him time he''ll start firing them in soon..."but he hasn''t.. chance after chance have come and gone (Everton away was comical), and the performances have got worse and worse... is it a confidence thing? no, the lack of ability in games is now so painfully evident to see. Ricky can play a pass and thats about it... No physical presence, cant shoot, cant get into positions to create a chance, cant cross and lacks anything in his game to show he can adapt.He''s a nice guy and someone who when he first came in I thought would be fantastic... but its not worked has it? 8.5 million is a hell of a lot to spend on a duffer for a club our size...You gave it a go Ricky and thanks.. but perhaps best for all parties if you look to elsewhere next season.

[/quote]

What''s he worth after this horrible season? He won''t bring back a fraction of the outlay. He stays next year and comes off of the bench unless he proves he deserves a spot in the starting eleven.[/quote]
I think Vonbonds is right. What would he even fetch now, 2-3mill? Better to keep him as a backup option next season to see if he can have a better second season. IF we did get relegated he would surely be quality enough for the championship.

I''d keep him for next season. See what he can do under a new manager, rather than just chuck away our outlay.

I would blame Hughton more than RvW himself for the lack of goals. I want to see RvW here next season under a more attack-oriented manager.

Today he couldn''t even get the basics of football right, control was awful, passing dire and bullied easily by Stoke in the air.
Sadly I think we have got it wrong with him, he''s not the right player for us and come the summer I imagine he''ll be on his way back to Europe.

[quote user="VegasCanary"]I would blame Hughton more than RvW himself for the lack of goals. I want to see RvW here next season under a more attack-oriented manager.[/quote]
This ^^^^
A different manager would set up for his style of play.

Changing manager will change not a jot for hapless Ricky. It''s rather more about a lack of ability. He looks like a pub league player who has won a place in a Premier League team as a competition prize. Completely, embarrassingly, out of his depth.

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Changing manager will change not a jot for hapless Ricky. It''s rather more about a lack of ability. He looks like a pub league player who has won a place in a Premier League team as a competition prize. Completely, embarrassingly, out of his depth.[/quote]Simple by name, simple by nature

Yes multimillion Dean Coney flop.I''d love to say its all Hughtons fault but RVW seemed pretty good before he turned up here.

From a business point of view he will need to stay unless we can get a fair offer for him. That seems unlikely at the moment. Possibly a loan if we need to trim the wage bill!

But his place at the moment should be from the bench, possibly behind Elmander in waiting his chance. Hoots says he wants competition in the squad. That means playing the man showing the best form - which is surely Hooper. So it beats me as to why Hooper does not start. I can only think that Hoots is desperately trying to show he has not made an expensive mistake - when his job is to get the best team on the pitch to win the game.

[quote user="Carra Rud"]Yes multimillion Dean Coney flop.I''d love to say its all Hughtons fault but RVW seemed pretty good before he turned up here.[/quote]
It''s probably a combination of issues, but today RVW was just plain poor, nothing to do with service.

He was a striker coveted by some of the worlds biggest clubs not too long ago....

Would love to think he is still settling and next year we will see the real Wolf but I''m really not confident of that....

[quote user="Simple Jack"]Changing manager will change not a jot for hapless Ricky. It''s rather more about a lack of ability. He looks like a pub league player who has won a place in a Premier League team as a competition prize. Completely, embarrassingly, out of his depth.[/quote]

agree with the point being made.

this isnt hughtons fault. whilst we may set up defensively, Hooper has scored and had the chances.

rvw has shown lack of ability... i would wonder if deep down Ricky himself knows he isn''t up to it...

Better players than rvw have failed on the prem. and a new manager wont make a difference...

[quote user="Hog"]He was a striker coveted by some of the worlds biggest clubs not too long ago....

Would love to think he is still settling and next year we will see the real Wolf but I''m really not confident of that....[/quote]
This ^^^ would love nothing more than for him to come good but I very much doubt it.

[quote user="Prince Randian"][quote user="VegasCanary"]I would blame Hughton more than RvW himself for the lack of goals. I want to see RvW here next season under a more attack-oriented manager.[/quote]
This ^^^^
[/quote]

He''s scored everywhere he''s been, perhaps it''s the managers tactics that are at fault.

[quote user="First Wazzock"][quote user="Prince Randian"][quote user="VegasCanary"]I would blame Hughton more than RvW himself for the lack of goals. I want to see RvW here next season under a more attack-oriented manager.[/quote]
This ^^^^
[/quote]

He''s scored everywhere he''s been, perhaps it''s the managers tactics that are at fault.[/quote]

so has Samuel Eto''o... mourinhos tactics must be woeful....

some players just cant cut it in certain leagues

Don''t know why we don''t have these threads for Hooper - in the grand scheme of things he''s done little more than RVW.

[quote user="GJP"]Played well today.[/quote]

No he didnt

A couple of good passes but mostly anonomous and what was he doing when he lost the flight of the ball on the goal line

[quote user="GJP"]Don''t know why we don''t have these threads for Hooper - in the grand scheme of things he''s done little more than RVW.[/quote]

Apart from score more goals...are you for real

Who did the research\scouting?The guy has looked lightweight and not up to it but in all reality who thought it was a good idea to play him as a lone striker.There is no creativity, movement or support for the strikers.The only time hes looked half decent is having Elmander up there to help him...no coincidence!I have to admit i had hoped for more from him, but lets be honest our entire set-up has destroyed any glimpse of what was a class striker

He definitely played well today.

Put himself about against a very physical Stoke side. Was trying to encourage a quicker passing game, only for Wes and Snoddy to slow it all down. Beat Shawcross in the air a couple times, chased down everything. Won the ball a couple times.

Did as much as he could considering know one even attempted to put a ball through one of the many times he started a run. Was frequently in good positions.

I''ve been one of his biggest supporters so far. Even when he hasn''t looked great, I''ve been a proponent of giving him time and letting him show his class.

Today, at times, even I was struggling to stick up for him. Even his positioning and movement today was exceptionally poor at times. There were a couple of times where there were huge gaps which looked delicious for anyone with half a goal scoring instinct to sneak into, but he was miles away.

Why is it not working? Who knows. Not much point speculating really. Sometimes it''s the player, sometimes they can''t adapt, sometimes it''s the tactics, sometimes it''s in the player''s head, sometimes it''s just that he isn''t performing well, sometimes it just doesn''t click either at a particular club or in a particular country/style of football. Whatever the case, today he just didn''t look cut out for it, either physically, technically or mentally which is the biggest worry. If he''s doing two or even one of those, then you might give him time to adapt the other to the league or whatever, but at the moment he looks lost.

As for stick or twist next season. If we go down, I''d sell. Would still probably get a bit of a decent transfer fee and would certainly free up a lot of wages. If we stay up, he would be a decent back up option perhaps. If we had to sell to bring someone else in though, I wouldn''t mind too much.

Its interesting how we see games and individual performances differently........now I have been desperate for RVW to do well, have been convinced that it will happen for him, plus I rarely have a dig at any particularly player. BUT, today I thought he certainly worked hard in and around the box and did a fair job trying to link play....... but when it came to taking up the right positions to enable him to be in the right place at the right time he seemed to have no idea, this I found strange. A couple of times the side worked well to get a ball through and he just didnt seem to understand where he should run, where he should be.....it was so obvious too...as I say I was shocked and am now personally thinking he may have lost that strikers instict, he may have "Torresitus" or something and it took him a long time to get better.