Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Summer signings (If we stay up!)

By ''if we stay up'' I actually mean when we stay up, but still...
Who would you like to see us bring in?
I find it quite hard to know whats realistic both in terms of budget and being able to attract them here. And a lot will rely on wether Hughton stays or not. The way we''re playing must be a slight deterrent to some players. Sure Hughton can tell them the general play will improve, perhaps his tactics would revolve around a new signing or two.
Personally i''d love to see us sign either Will Hughes or Ravel Morrison.
Both creative players with bags of potential, and like Redmond I think they''d be able to fit in straight away when/if needed. Quite probably completely unrealistic, but i''d like to be optimistic about potential signings.
New CB, a new CM, definitely an AM and striker are all needed really. Basically a new spine for the team!

I know Reading, but I like to look forward to things.
And this is purely assuming we stay up. And the signings can be based on wether you think Hughton will keep his job then or not.

Depends who the manager is.

Hughton has had his fortune to invest, how much more does he want exactly?

We should look for a new manager, and his shopping list should be a major interview question. How many players do you need, what positions, why do you need them and how much do you want to spend on them?

But I definitely think we need a quality centre back and top class right back.

Not sure about the midfield, I''m just hoping we get a manager capable of constructing one.

We have 2 off the shoulder goal poachers who have never contributed much to open play in their careers in RVW and Hooper, both are always asked to play in a way that doesn''t suit them at all, taking away a lot of their threat. They''re both Simeon Jackson type players being asked to do Holts job, it''s no wonder they''re failing miserably.

So number one priority for me is a strong athletic forward who can hold the ball, dribble, pass, link up, go round players and who is always involved in the play but one that doesn''t necessarily need to chip in with goals, just free up one of our poachers to do their thing. Elmander is far too lightweight, poor in the air and can''t thread the through balls we need. For the record I have no idea who this player could be but we''d have to spend some money obviously!

We''ve also needed to play 3 center mids this season to look our best because Tetty/Johnson are too weak to be part of a two at this level and Fer at the moment at least is as well. So we need a good defensive midfielder to allow us to only play a 2 and free up another position further up the field. A player like Diame/Huddlestone, but obviously not those two as now they''re both unrealistic.

Finally a new rightback, both Whittaker and Martin are just okay at both attack and defence but they don''t excell at either. So either one very strong defensivly which would free Snoddy up to focus more on attacking or another Ollson type wingback to work with him.

We need quality now not quantity, risky as it is I''d put all our money into those 3 positions. Maybe Yobo and Guitierez back on loan and barring another injury hit year like this one we should be okay and those signings should fix a lot of this teams problems!

We have 2 off the shoulder goal poachers who have never contributed much to open play in their careers in RVW and Hooper, both are always asked to play in a way that doesn''t suit them at all, taking away a lot of their threat. They''re both Simeon Jackson type players being asked to do Holts job, it''s no wonder they''re failing miserably.

So number one priority for me is a strong athletic forward who can hold the ball, dribble, pass, link up, go round players and who is always involved in the play but one that doesn''t necessarily need to chip in with goals, just free up one of our poachers to do their thing. Elmander is far too lightweight, poor in the air and can''t thread the through balls we need. For the record I have no idea who this player could be but we''d have to spend some money obviously!

We''ve also needed to play 3 center mids this season to look our best because Tetty/Johnson are too weak to be part of a two at this level and Fer at the moment at least is as well. So we need a good defensive midfielder to allow us to only play a 2 and free up another position further up the field. A player like Diame/Huddlestone, but obviously not those two as now they''re both unrealistic.

Finally a new rightback, both Whittaker and Martin are just okay at both attack and defence but they don''t excell at either. So either one very strong defensivly which would free Snoddy up to focus more on attacking or another Ollson type wingback to work with him.

We need quality now not quantity, risky as it is I''d put all our money into those 3 positions. Maybe Yobo and Guitierez back on loan and barring another injury hit year like this one we should be okay and those signings should fix a lot of this teams problems!

Ps im having internet problems sorry if this multiple posts!

Also as a side note, when Fulham go down what about Steve Sidwell as a cheap option? An experienced box to box center midfielder who has been their best player this year and scores goals? Fer is still adapting having played in weaker leagues as part of a 3 all his career and imo Tettey and Johnson aren''t quite good enough outside of a midfield 3 either he could be a great addition in that area I feel as long as he wouldn''t cost too much!

I think if Cardiff go down, Caulker would be great.

as well as an attacking midfielder and striker.

We''d need to replace Elmander & Yobo who we won''t be signing and Becchio who we''ll sell possibly with whittaker.

Although this question is probably for the end of the season, we probably do need quite a lot of investment if we are going to reach the 9th position everyone expects

I have been really impressed by Craig Noone at Cardiff, he has put some really eye catching displays in this season and looks to have a real something about him - one things for sure, there will be some interest in him this summer and I don''t think he''ll stay at Cardiff. Elmander and Becchio to leave, RvW not up to speed yet but 2 strikers to compliment our struggling main 2 is a must - I still have faith they''ll come good although i understand other supporters impatience. Another central defender or right back maybe (Whittaker I think will leave, which I thinks a shame because he''s impressed me with his attacking attributes and always looks to go forward and make things happen), although apart from the odd disaster they''ve proved they can be very resilient and tough to break down. We''ll probably need a replacement for Ruddy and I''m sure there''ll be ins and outs in midfield too.

I think that even if we signed the entire Chelsea squad, with the entire Barca squad as reserve, we''d still be languishing in 15th-odd place wondering where our next goal is coming from. I''m not a staunch Hughton-outer but something''s gotta change* and I struggle to see how Hughton''s going to change his approach and style.*Yes, I''m going to see The Stranglers Tuesday.

I''d take Sidwell from Fulham. I''d take Fletcher from Sunderland provided they go down as well. Maybe Borini. Bardsley would be a useful signing along with Dan Burn OR Brede Hangaland. I''d also think about bringing back David Marshall.

Hooper and Fletcher upfront would be formidable in my opinion.

Getting a quality CM/AM on loan like Van Ginkel or Holtby would be nice as well.

Sell RVW, Becchio, Johnson, Whittaker and Bassong. I guess Hoolahan will want to leave. And if Ruddy wants to leave - let him. I don''t think he''s as good as people make out.

Why sell Bassong?

He was POTS last year and people were raving about him. He hasn''t been as good this season but selling him seems like bit of an overreaction.

Bennett has been here over 2 years and has so far failed to establish himself as a first choice. Yobo has played 5 games for us.

Is that really enough to establish both of them as better than last year''s POTS?

I keep saying it, Bassong hasn''t been as good as last season and he has made some mistakes but I also don''t see that he''s been as bad as is being made out.

He gave away a costly penalty against Stoke but other than that he had a good game. Infact he had been one of our better players. Fair enough the penalty was his fault but are we saying we''ve got other defenders who are immune to giving away penalties?

The problem is that if we can, apparently, never score more than one goal at home we are always going to struggle.And scoring goals is not the fault of our strikers. It is the problem caused by the tactics employed ......... inverted wingers!

Blackburn - Jordan RhodesWatford - Ikichi? AnyaNewcastle - Ryan TaylorWigan - McManamam and PerchNotts Forest - Jamal LescellesCeltic - Samaras (Free) and Virgil Van DijkThinking british available players firstly however there are players such as Finborgsson in Holland who could do well too...

A centre back similar to Yobo or even him, a couple of new strikers, but both must be big off the main man types who could potentially partner RVW or Hooper. Saying that, I don''t mean Elmander, he''s dogshite!

I''d like another option in midfield to compete the Wes role or even replace him. A Hatem Ben Arfa or Lallana type figure who has the skill and flair to turn a game with one special bit of skill or clever pass. It''s all a bit too rigid and predictable usually from us.

If there is still a bit left over, then more pace on the wing to compete with Wes. Pilkington looks pretty finished as a decent option for us and Snoddy is very one dimensional.

[quote user="coachkemp"]Blackburn - Jordan RhodesWatford - Ikichi? AnyaNewcastle - Ryan TaylorWigan - McManamam and PerchNotts Forest - Jamal LescellesCeltic - Samaras (Free) and Virgil Van DijkThinking british available players firstly however there are players such as Finborgsson in Holland who could do well too...[/quote]

Samaras?! are you joking? Ryan Taylor will be past it now, i like the sound of McManaman though.

[quote user="Nicko"]I''d take Sidwell from Fulham. I''d take Fletcher from Sunderland provided they go down as well. Maybe Borini. Bardsley would be a useful signing along with Dan Burn OR Brede Hangaland. I''d also think about bringing back David Marshall.

Hooper and Fletcher upfront would be formidable in my opinion.

Getting a quality CM/AM on loan like Van Ginkel or Holtby would be nice as well.

Sell RVW, Becchio, Johnson, Whittaker and Bassong. I guess Hoolahan will want to leave. And if Ruddy wants to leave - let him. I don''t think he''s as good as people make out.[/quote]

Not a chance Bassong should leave, nor Ruddy. Fletcher would be a good shout, as would a decent CM/AM on loan who is flexible enough to play in a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1. MVG would be ideal and he could do with a year on loan after his horror year this year on the treatment table.

Ryan Taylor hasn''t played for about 2 years due to injury. Would seem a bit of a risk - to say the least.

" No point in shelling out money if Hughton still in charge. More players for him to ruin"

Then we''d be going a lot of money to the tax man wouldn''t we...

Think I''d give Bassong the bus fare myself. Not sure ive ever seen a player go from hero to zero as quickly (and I''d wager he''s not getting paid like a mediocre CB)

Think the only lucky thing with Ruddy is the fact we have been so poor perhaps he''s fallen of the radar of the bigger clubs, I think that''s the only reason he would still be at Norwich next season.