Sign in to follow this  
canarycol

Time for Bassong To Be Dropped as Team Captain

Bassong could be on the way to being our first hat trick player in the Chris H era. Having lost us two matches in succession, knowing the wisdom of oure manager; he could well be picked to complete the feat at Southampton next week.

Seb''s poor form has been a significant factor in our struggles this season. He has gone from being one of our key players to probably one of our weakest links this season. A club like Norwich simply cannot afford for that to happen - it can ultimately be the difference between staying up and going down.

While I don''t agree with some the harsh personal abuse that is being dished out on here towards Seb, I do think there is an argument to say that he has become complacent because he is seemingly assured of his place. I think Ryan Bennett (who has done pretty generally this season) replacing him for a couple of games would do no harm at all.

You only have to look at Man City and the way Pellegrini has managed the Joe Hart situation. He left him out for about 6 or 7 games and it has totally reenergised Hart giving him the jolt he needed. He has been absolutely faultless since returning to the starting XI for Man City.

I agree that Bassong cost us two points against Stoke but how can people say he cost us the Vila game too? Clearly there were a number of terrible performances and at least a couple of the goals weren''t his fault.

As per usual, when the chips are down a new scapegoat is appointed to take the brunt of the abuse.Last month it was Snoddy and/or Johnson, now we''re moving onto Bassong...We can''t lay the blame for all that''s wrong at the foot of a single player, but his form this season HAS been patchy at best (and certainly not as strong as last year), and I''d probably agree that it''s time for a change (even if it''s just a match or two).The problem as GJP rightly points out is that we don''t really have a top class replacement available. Bennett arguably makes MORE mistakes than Bassong does (even if the potential is there), Turner isn''t fit and playing Martin at CB with Whittaker going to RB is a risk in itself.I''d probably give a game or two to Bennett however, as he may perform better alongside the calming influence of Yobo and if nothing else it gives Bassong a rest and chance to realise that he CAN be dropped.

Ruddy saved him from a dallied mistake in the previous game. He is making too many errors.

He is a shade of hi former certain and consistent self. He needs to be rested. If Hughton was any sort of manager, he would realise this.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]As per usual, when the chips are down a new scapegoat is appointed to take the brunt of the abuse.Last month it was Snoddy and/or Johnson, now we''re moving onto Bassong...We can''t lay the blame for all that''s wrong at the foot of a single player, but his form this season HAS been patchy at best (and certainly not as strong as last year), and I''d probably agree that it''s time for a change (even if it''s just a match or two).The problem as GJP rightly points out is that we don''t really have a top class replacement available. Bennett arguably makes MORE mistakes than Bassong does (even if the potential is there), Turner isn''t fit and playing Martin at CB with Whittaker going to RB is a risk in itself.I''d probably give a game or two to Bennett however, as he may perform better alongside the calming influence of Yobo and if nothing else it gives Bassong a rest and chance to realise that he CAN be dropped.[/quote]

If I was in charge Snody and Johnson would have been dropped along with Bassong long since

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

I''d probably give a game or two to Bennett however, as he may perform better alongside the calming influence of Yobo and if nothing else it gives Bassong a rest and chance to realise that he CAN be dropped.
[/quote]

Thing is though, how much of a calming influence is Yobo if Bassong is as all over the place as people are saying?

And of course it was only a few months ago that many people were saying Bassong was the calm one and everyone else played better alongside him because of this.

While not having the best of times, Bassong is still the best we have in his position.   The points against MC and Spurs were as much down to him as any of the team.   Making him the scapegoat is again missing the point.  The point is we are not scoring enough goals so every mistake or bit of pressure in defence is magnified.  The simplest way to avoid problems is to score more goals, then if there are the odd mistakes or bad refereeing decisions, they are not too damaging to the result.

There are two issues here, - should he have been made captain and should he be dropped?

The answer to the first is probably no, he shouldn''t have been made captain, but at the time he had had a very good season, especially being very consistent. With the benefit of hindsight it may now seem a mistake.

The answer to the second is yes, he should be dropped. His errors from time to time through the season have cost us points, and he is no longer the rock he was before in the centre of defence. Why this should be, I have no idea. Perhaps his captain''s duties have made it more difficult to concentrate, or perhaps the operation last summer has slowed him down?

I personally would prefer Martin as captain instead of Bassong. Martin is more of a natural leader. I also thought Howson would be a good captain, he captained Leeds, I reckon he could do the job with us.