Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Has RVW even missed any sitters of note?

My biggest defence of him has always been he has not had the same chances as Hooper. He hasn''t had the one on ones Hooper has had. Weather that''s the Wolfs fault, or he just happens to be unlucky and not be on the pitch when the chances have come up is another question.

One sticks out for me.

Away to Spurs in the second half. Open goal and he miskicked - any kind of touch would have gone in.

And the one against Spurs at home I think? Could have been Man City. Cross came in and went straight through his legs with the goal gaping.

That was City at home, it wasn''t really a sitter, the ball was flashed at him under pressure from a defender, just another in a series of unlucky events for him.

There was another similar one, I forget which game where he just needed to direct it with a touch, and somehow chested it over.

I don''t think it bad luck - not with one goal in 20 odd matches. Good strikers (even good championship strikers) have an instinct for where the ball is likely to break. Alan Shearer has made this point a few times. If you get in the right positions, gamble now and again, then something will go for you sooner or later. I didn''t see him before his move so not sure if it''s a confidence thing or he''s just out of his depth. If he was missing sitters at least he would be getting in the right places.

But to be fair, he had a great header against Stoke. That was by no means a sitter, and directed down, across the goal. He almost needs just one and reckon we''d see a different player!

Still can not help but think about the penalty he did not take against saints. It would have likely meant a win and 2 in 2 for him too! He would have felt confident... Alas I am clutching straws and pondering what ifs