Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

"anyone but Hughton"

where as the next manager to follow Lambert was never going to be accepted by the fans "because he isn''t the messiah"

Hughton wasn''t accepted from Day one by some fans here, which in turn led to a perceived Downward spiral to perhaps where we are now.

with this in mind, will the next incumbent be an automatic success "Because he isn''t Hughton". results and perfromances will be overlooked by some who will be happy they have got what they want and think tyhings are now "better" TRelegation will be seen as "hughton''s squad" and conversely staying up would be seen as "new mans team now"...

I don''t know that''s correct, when Pocchetino came in at Southampton, there was a similar reaction, but he''s won over the fans and they probably don''t remember who Nigel Adkins is now!

If we''d won some of the games that maybe we should have, nobody would care. The results have driven the downturn. Not the fans. The fans weren''t responsible for the 10 game unbeaten run (which was enough to win over most fans irrespective of your point - the results in the year and a bit since have been generally poor, with occasional exceptions).

I don''t think that''s actually very fair. I think he was almost universally acclaimed as the best candidate to replace Lambert. I seriously cannot remember a manager in any league being given the amount of rope that he is.

Should surely have been replaced after 10 games of this season.

The irony of it all is that I find myself so bored with the football we play I cannot get worked up about our survival or relegation.

Regardless of how much money Hughton would be given to spend in the summer can anyone honestly imagine after 2 years he will suddenly devise a plan to actually score goals ?

My only hope is that he is not our manager next season regardless of the division we are in.

I see your thinking Jas, but I don''t think it means the next manager will be a success simply because he''s not Hughton. Hughton isn''t perceived as a failure simply because he''s not Lambert either.

It''s like with the national team. We appoint an English manager because they understand the philosophy and history of England - but then they fail.

Then we say "What we actually need is a master tactician/coach, irrespective of whether they''re english" - so we appoint a foreign manager - but then they fail.

So we appoint another English manager for the same reason again.. and the cycle continues... Keegan - Sven - Capello - Hodgson .. and I expect it''ll be a foreign manager after Hodgson. But it''s not because of the previous manager that they fail.

I often think I see similarities between Norwich and England actually - both seem to under-perform despite players available, both seemingly unable to relax and play a good, attractive attacking game like we know they can, and both incredibly inconsistent!

Jase I agree that this gig was always going to be a hard one to follow.

But lambert left the foundations of a good am. He wasn''t sacked and the team didn''t struggle.

The second year was an opportunity to carry on the momentum that we had and not have the wind taken out of our sails..

Rather than tweak things he made huge changes to the philosophy. This wasn''t needed, contrary to the myth that we would''ve struggled..

I part blame the board for appointing someone the complete opposite of what we had.

I admire Swansea for sticking to a philosophy and appointing a manager to fit into there way.

He was accepted and warmed to extremely quickly because we desperately wanted to believe we''d replaced Lambert with someone better.

He lost the fans early after implementing this horrible overly rigid stifling inflexible tactic. Based around keeping our shape at all times to avoid conceding but it''s completely unrealistic because so many players in this league can smash the ball in from 25 yards at any time and a team of our level will always have a defensive mistake in them. But we also attack at a snails pace and will never be able to afford the players to break down organised defenses...it makes no sense!

Basically he slightly improved our defensive statistics by using a lot more defenders while completely destroying us as an attacking force...the 5-0 away at Fulham probably didn''t help either

It was nothing to do with following ''the messiah'' or anything to do with him as a person it has always been his tactical approach that''s got him the criticism

Both Jas and CUSDP have valid points. There is an ABH environment.

It may be that the commonly-heard "he''d probably keep us up each year, but I just don''t feel connected/entertained/ encouraged" will be something we long for in years to come.

The actualite'' appears too much for too many however and so a summer change looks inevitable and pragmatic. There will be an unseasonably fair wind for the new messiah as a consequence as Jas says.

The relentless, repetitive coaching strictures that characterise Hughton''s methodology will not be lamented in their absence and the lack of sympathy will be a consequence as CUSDP notes.

For the religious amongst you though, who believe in the greatness and limitless potential of Norwich and the players, Hughton''s calculation is that this is a good as they are and drilling them in this way increased the odds. If we go down gloriously, entertainingly in future years and eat for a typical period away from the top flight table....will we long for that which we rejected? £100m and worldwide exposure 24 hours a day might be harder to live without than even attacking football....

Reports that Bassong will lead us again at Southampton. Hughton has faith in him. All I can say is heaven help us.

No problem with Bassong, will probably have a great game after lettiung everyone down on Saturday, other players are making mistakes too :-)

Jas I totally understand your OP,agree and would add that following PL after the amazing journey we had with him and his coaching team (it''s Cully who is the key surely) was probably harder than the challenge Moyes had following Fergie. 

Also, what I really think some people are forgetting is that PL didnt actually leave CH with such a great squad to continue with, it was very thin on the ground, and I am convinced that, if asked, he himself would say that he would have struggled to maintain the levels achieved in his second season without making major changes, changes he probably didnt think the club could afford...and he walked away didnt he to a bigger club.......where he is actually struggling, and getting big criticism from the fans who didnt have a manager they previously called the "messiah"...so, he had little follow in their eyes.  

Now, yes we should be doing better.........how much better, I''m not sure........

[quote user="Jonás Gutiérrez"]Can you guys confirm something for me?

All those claiming Hughton should be sacked and he''s a shite manager blah blah blah, then you must also think that Paul Lambert should be sacked at Villa and is a shite manager?[/quote]As I''ve said before, I don''t think Hughton is a *bad* manager, I think he''s the *wrong* manager for Norwich.Paul Lambert is the wrong manager for Villa too.  He *was* the right manager for us but (purely hypothetically) I think he would be the wrong manager if he came back.So the board need to think again and try to find a manager who is going to be a good fit with the club, the squad and the fans.  Sadly the only way you know is to hire someone and see if he delivers.

[quote user="Satoshi Nakamoto"]As I''ve said before, I don''t think Hughton is a *bad* manager, I think he''s the *wrong* manager for Norwich.[/quote]

This just does my head in.  Most managers we have had since 95 have been "wrong" in that case.   Worthy and Lambert the obvious exceptions. But all the others failed to do anything with a championship side.

The club is in the premiership and CH is trying to create something long lasting at CR - we''ve seen that when it works well, it is more than good enough (Spurs at home for example) and we saw it last season too, despite the difficult spells.   The problem - as always - is that the players can''t always match what is required to the standard necessary, consistently enough.   But that is where development comes in.   Some say two years is more than enough to develop a squad - I would say it takes as long as it takes.    As long as we stay in the division, we are on the right track.  Better players will come in to bolster the team/squad, the ones we have already will improve - and the team and results will improve.  

Dismiss this as pie in the sky if you like, but there is more than one way of looking at our situation.   Looking at it bleakly and impatiently and you will think things aren''t right.  Look at it from the point of the financial clout of the club, the way we are gradually improving the quality of the squad within that framework, the fact that despite popular opinion, we are still in this league - and the fact that we are still picking up points - and you can see a longer view.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Satoshi Nakamoto"]As I''ve said before, I don''t think Hughton is a *bad* manager, I think he''s the *wrong* manager for Norwich.[/quote]

This just does my head in. [/quote]Apologies, I''m not trying to do your head in.I don''t know anyone who has made a success of every post they''ve ever held.Dalgliesh succeeded at Blackburn and Liverpool (first time round).  He failed at Newcastle.Steve Jobs was forced out of Apple first time round, and made a storming success the second time round.C''est la vie.My take away from it is that things work or they don''t - one of the two.  If they''re not working, part on good terms and try something new.  It''s a lot less dispiriting than trying to hang on to the wrong job or the wrong employee for fear of something worse.

To be fair anyone replacing the Messiah was always going to be on a hiding to nothing.

That said did I ever think we would get someone as hapless and negative as hapless the answer would be no.

It''s just frustrating to see us put in performances versus Spurs and Man City only to capitulate to the likes of Cardiff and Hull. I know we can do better.

jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 2014-03-10 4:55 PM:

where as the next manager to follow Lambert was never going to be accepted by the fans "because he isn''t the messiah"

Hughton wasn''t accepted from Day one by some fans here, which in turn led to a perceived Downward spiral to perhaps where we are now.

Are you REALLY SERIOUS!

Because HUGHTON wasn''t taken too by SOME supporters this led to our downward spiral!

FFS I''ve read it all now. It''s nothing to do with the managers tactics, game plans and lack of positive thinking in attacking areas that have led to a downward spiral, it''s supporters fault!

Christ you''ll be spouting that it''s all down to bogey teams next like someone else I know!

[quote user="City 2nd"]jas the barclay king wrote the following post at 2014-03-10 4:55 PM:

Are you REALLY SERIOUS!

Because HUGHTON wasn''t taken too by SOME supporters this led to our downward spiral!

FFS I''ve read it all now. It''s nothing to do with the managers tactics, game plans and lack of positive thinking in attacking areas that have led to a downward spiral, it''s supporters fault!

Christ you''ll be spouting that it''s all down to bogey teams next like someone else I know![/quote]you''ve missed the point completely