Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

If you were a manager.......

Setting up to play us, how would you instruct your team to play.? What weaknesses would you try to expose? What would you not want us to do?

The city team is: Ruddy Martin Olsson Bassong Yobo johnson tettey Fer Snoddgrass Pilkington Hooper. (Removed RVW and Redmond as they get shot at too often)

As we don''t have much pace in the side our striker always seems isolated. I would encourage our wingers to not hug the touchline but to come inside and make it more of a three up front when attacking. We have enough defensive cover behind. We just need a way of supporting our stiker more I feel

Keep a high line and press high up the pitch. Spread the play quickly and push the full backs up to limit Norwich''s wingers offensive play. And break in numbers. We can''t cope with quick and incisive passing. teams seem to pull us all over the pitch with quick passing and then once one of the full backs are isolated they double up and mostly make us pay.

Of course it depends what imaginary players we have at our disposal but....

We''re susceptible to pace, in as much as that you''d want to draw Norwich onto you to stretch the length of the play area to maximise the impact of that pace. Other than that you''d target the flanks rather than trying to go through the middle where we are relatively strong.

If I''m manager of Man City, Arsenal or Liverpool,  I wouldn''t tell them to do anything. I''d chuck them a ball and say "Go and play.." and expect them to win comfortably

This is a very strange question CUSDP!

If I was managing a team that was playing against Norwich City I would instruct that team to go out and spend the whole game kicking the ball into their own net.

Wouldn''t you?

For a start, my first choice line up would be (taking into account Fer''s injury):

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Yobo Ollsson

Johnson Tettey

Snodgrass Hoolahan Pilkington

Hooper

I don''t think playing two strikers is any use to us because we rarely score anyway, but we do often play better with Wes in the team.

I''d switch Snodgrass and Pilkington throughout the game, exposing certain weaknesses of the full backs. Tell Hooper not to come short for the ball too much and stay around the 18 yard box in a Gary Linker type role and wait for the ball in the box, create space, lose defenders etc. I''d put Martin Ollson on any free kicks that are to be crossed into the box. Snodgrass on any shots from free kicks.

I have to go to work but I could go on.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Setting up to play us, how would you instruct your team to play.? What weaknesses would you try to expose? What would you not want us to do? The city team is: Ruddy Martin Olsson Bassong Yobo johnson tettey Fer Snoddgrass Pilkington Hooper. (Removed RVW and Redmond as they get shot at too often)[/quote]

assuming Norwich line up 4-2-3-1:

I would look to counter this with a 4-4-1-1

For a start i would look to my left (norwichs right) as a key attacking area, Snodgrass isn''t quick and wont win physical battles against a bullying left back. I would look to shackle him closely in our half and have a quick winger to run at Martin at every opportunity. Possibly encouraging to cut inside and shoot rather than cross.

The midfield is key, my attacking midfielder (the guy just behind the striker) will allow us to go man for man in the middle. we know Johnson and Tettey can win a ball, Fer not as much. my Key man will get back and pick Fer up when Norwich are attacking, to stfile service and win early balls.

I would hope by giving as good as we get we can win a percentages game against Tettey and Johnson.

Looking at the left and Norwich have pace with Pilkington and Olsson. IMO, olsson is perhaps too attacking to play at left back. I would instruct my lone striker to play in the gap between Yobo and Ols and hopefully prevent the full back getting forwards. Yobo unlikely to follow for fear of leaving a gap for my "hole man". Pilks will have to come deep to look for the ball and Norwich will get disjointed quickly.

If I had to go with another formation I would start 4-3-3 and use 2 pacey, but inverted, wingers.. to play in the gaps between the full backs and centre halfs rather than get wide.. main striker to make diagonal runs to the far post for tap ins from the wingers forways.

I would tell my team to keep it tight and not to concede, you can always trust Norwich to ''shoot them selves in the foot'' and make a mistake at the back. 

[quote user="Nicko"]haha so many people have misread the question[/quote]Hardly surprising is it?  Proper fans would never consider setting up a team to play AGAINST the club we love. [:S]

I would spend the week before the game telling everyone how good Norwich are and what a big team they are and how we can''t possibly compete with them.

Then make sure I really upset my creative midfielder, isolate my expensive strikers and play lopsided wing men.

That would then set my team to play for a 0-0 draw as we need the point.[;)]

Defending I would a sit deep, allow the cm time on the ball as creative passing movement is limited, and accuracy poor. allow attacks to the right, Double up on snoddy, in final third, with an aerially strong cm or rb to recover the ball from ruddy. Keep close to strikers touch close and with back to goal.

Pick attackers with pace and movement, hit quickly on counter attack, esp down either flank which are positionally weak and vulnerable, get in crosses, free kicks wide good too, as not strong in dealing with crosses in the middle. Run at defenders as they will back off too far. Easy to move ball around most of midfield so play pass and go triangles.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Hopefully Pochettino and Poyet are not lurking on here somewhere.........!![/quote]

Hopefully, they are!  [;)]

Main attacking principles of play, would be for me to focus on the penetration and breaking thorugh the lines, in order to do that we need players who are able to get in advance of the ball as well as being able to recover when the ball is lost. When high up the pitch we should allow teams to have possession in their own half and encourage the opposition team to play into the defence before shutting the ball down and forcing a long ball. For my defenders, their job should just be to win that ball and get it down and nothing else fancy. With that in mind I would play:RuddyGarrido - to maintain shape and his ability to play the deep pass and offer a better angle of pass as opposed to full back getting in advance of the ball.Bennett - simple, very...but athletic and can win the battles neededTurner - Same as bennett really.Martin - Not the quickest but reads the game well and can often link up well with play - is encouraged to overlap all the time however due to snodgrass'' inability to run down the right by himself on his weaker peg.Fer and Tettey in the centre, as they are both able to play forwards as well as having the engine to get into attacking positions and back in balance when ball is lost and in transition. They can also rotate with playersl ike howson comfortably.Howson would be my attacking midfielder as he will drive the ball forwards, pressure high up thep itch but also is able to spread play and create gaps. Wingers would be Redmond and Pilkington as I want players that can drive the ball forwards to look to play inside, both can shoot and whilst redmond isn''t a strong crosser his ability to play the ball and drive at players will create opportunities. Up top I aint too bothered as I think whoever plays in this system should be happy to play off the shoulder into space behind the defence as well as popping the ball off to what I would hope would be a very supportive midfield.and yes I am doing my UEFA B so football manager has been stepped up...!

I read it wrong as well!Basically I would let snodgrass have the ball on the right all the time and force him outside, Pressure Johnson whenever on the ball and always go far post via a long cross or quick passes across.