Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Effective set-up

With all the discussion recently on the way the team plays, with Hughton having the team defensively drilled with slow progressive attacking - how would you have the team set up?

Me personally, this would be my first XI

............Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

.........Fer Tettey........

Redmond Howson Olsson

RvW

Now im not saying this is our best XI, indeed iv left out Pilks who on his day is our best player, Hoolahan, Hooper our most effective striker and Snodgrass. But I think this could be our most effective line up under Hughton, hopefully with contributions from those left out from the bench.

I pick this line up simply because the thing that seems to kill us more than anything is the inability to attack at pace, which means we dont make the best use of Redmond or RvW. With the above system, pace would come from Redmond and Olsson breaking away on their preferred side and being able to play th RvWs strengths, him hopefully having moved into the spaces opened up by a dynamic attack. Howson provides support and long distance shooting and the ability to carry the ball out of midfield, as opposed to Hoolahans style in this role. Let tettey protect the back four and Fer also do this but provide the creativity. Thats my rationale. How would you set the team up?

I''d go for this...

Ruddy

Martin Yobo Turner Olsson

Tettey

Howson Fer

Snoddy Pilks

RVW

Personally, I think our best performances came with this kind of formation. Tettey sitting deep allows Howson and Fer to both play their natural roles in central midfield. They both have the freedom to break forward and support the striker whilst still having numbers in the middle when we don''t have the ball. Both Pilks and Snoddy carry a good goal threat. I''d have them switching wings regularly though. It''s tough on Johnson who has been one of our better performers of late.

Wouldn''t have Olsson out of defence. Not many players have played their position better than he''s played his this season.

Ruddy

Martin Yobo Turner Olsson

Tettey

Howson Fer

Snoddy Pilks

RVW

I''d go for something like this too. The formation has worked well - and Pilks and Snoddy do actually get into the box a lot. At the moment of course Pilks doesn''t seem to be up to speed, so Redmond would have to be preferable. As long as he promises to look at the ball when making his final pass/shot!

Our best team is any of the variations of 4-5-1 (4231, 4141 and 4321/433) gives flexibility between defensive security and pace to break where required.   More people in & around the box need, so good cm engines essential.  

For me our current best middle 5 are Tettey, Fer, Howson, Redmond & Pilks - either Hooper or RvW up top.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Our best team is any of the variations of 4-5-1 (4231, 4141 and 4321/433) gives flexibility between defensive security and pace to break where required.   More people in & around the box need, so good cm engines essential.  

For me our current best middle 5 are Tettey, Fer, Howson, Redmond & Pilks - either Hooper or RvW up top.

[/quote]You rate Pilks over Snoddy right now?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

You rate Pilks over Snoddy right now?
[/quote]

Was asked for most effective set up,  not who is form right now.    That midfield for me is the best we have.

But yes,  I would start Pilks on the left and redmond right over Snoddy who remains incredibly inconsistent (poor at villa and rightly subbed whether injured or not and poor against stoke too), he currently has too many wayward passes and crosses and when we play through him as much as we do at the moment its not a good influence and is an unnatural imbalance.

Although if there is truth in the rumours of pilks attitude then thatis a factor, 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]You rate Pilks over Snoddy right now?[/quote]

Was asked for most effective set up,  not who is form right now.    That midfield for me is the best we have.

But yes,  I would start Pilks on the left and redmond right over Snoddy who remains incredibly inconsistent (poor at villa and rightly subbed whether injured or not and poor against stoke too), he currently has too many wayward passes and crosses and when we play through him as much as we do at the moment its not a good influence and is an unnatural imbalance.

Although if there is truth in the rumours of pilks attitude then thatis a factor, 

[/quote]Yeah, on that premise, its a decent call.Awwww, really? I was hoping on some niggling injury that would clear up. I want the Pilks of two seasons ago back[:(]

[quote user="GJP"]

Wouldn''t have Olsson out of defence. Not many players have played their position better than he''s played his this season.

[/quote]

Indeed, Olsson has been superb and my POTS this season. But, only he and Redmond have the pace to make my system work, so I have to move him forward, great though he has been. Murphy is probably quick enough but not ready yet