Sign in to follow this  
unique

Norwich v Southampton

With both clubs having experienced the meteoric rise from League 1 to PL in consecutive seasons, Southampton have already secured their third season in the Premiership.

Which Norwich player(s) would get into the Southampton team, and would it be fair to guess that the resale value of the Norwich side < Lallana + Shaw?

The big difference of course is that they were put into administration to wipe out big debts, took their penalty points deduction but then started with a clean sheet and a big benefactor behind them. We had to achieve financial stability organically- credit to the Board for doing that. It means that it is not a truly fair comparison as they have been able to splash the cash.

In terms of players getting into their team, possibly the only ones with a chance would be Ruddy, Olsson, Tettey, Fer.

I think the above Information is incorrect. Southampton FC never went into administration, the holding company that owned it did, hence the club was bought lock stock and barrel by Markus Liebherr. The only real debt was the stadium, which he bought. any other debt Southampton FC owned, was paid in full.

Agree with the context analysis tumbleweed, and they have spent significantly more than us in wages and fees

i think olsson would struggle to oust shaw., fer much better than wanyama but schniedelin prob just better than tettey. I would add redmond to the mix.

People that would get in their team:

Think the side would look like this:

Ruddy

Clyne

Lovren

Bassong

Shaw

Redmond

Fer

Wanyama

Lallana

Rodriguez

Lambert

Close runners were Olsson, Fonte, RVW (if he could have pulled his finger out), Schneiderlin, Ramirez (again if he lived up to his potential more).

Hell of a team that! Should we merge and challenge for the top 4?!

[quote user="Radders"]I think the above Information is incorrect. Southampton FC never went into administration, the holding company that owned it did, hence the club was bought lock stock and barrel by Markus Liebherr. The only real debt was the stadium, which he bought. any other debt Southampton FC owned, was paid in full.[/quote]

Don''t know about the debt payment situation, but I do remember the FA decided the holding company and the operating company were so closely linked that the 10 point penalty should still apply.

Anyway the administration is just a side issue now.  The key point is that they have been subsidised since then by a rich owner, which hasn''t applied to City over the same period.  Which is why they have significantly better players in their squad.

I am for real. Fonte is still a bit dodgy and Bassong is actually better than people are making out. He has made the odd mistake this season but I take it you missed his part in 11 clean sheets and his two goal saving challenges at the weekend? How about his colossal performances versus Man City and Spurs? Bassong is worthy of a place in that side. Next to Lovren, he''d be a beast!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"] Bassong is actually better than people are making out.  [/quote]

Absolutely.

It has to be remembered that Southampton have produced and sold some excellent players, Bale and Oxlade Chamberlain in particular. This meant that they were able to buy good players as well, and I for one, would argue that they have a better squad than we do.

Which of our players might get in at the moment would include possibly only Fer, Howson and Redmond. I doubt if the others would mean an improvement to their squad.

As they are talking about Shaw being the next Bale, and he and Lallana are England internationals, it would be difficult to put a price on them. Shaw has played since a relatively young teenager. If he continues to develop, it will take some big money to lure him elsewhere.

will be a shame if the bassong that people think is better than made out ends up costing us our premier league place this season due to schoolboy errors like the penalty on saturday !

[quote user="braintree canary"]will be a shame if the bassong that people think is better than made out ends up costing us our premier league place this season due to schoolboy errors like the penalty on saturday ![/quote]

That''s a good point actually.

Until Saturday I don''t think I''d ever seen a defender give away a penalty that could perhaps have been avoided. Infact I''m not sure if I''ve ever seen a defender concede a penalty.

No surprise that Bassong was the first to do it. He''s so rubbish.

Agree with Jimmy, Fonte is woeful. Its difficult to know which striker to have, because I think Hooper would score in a Southampton team, but also they play different kinds of balls to the strikers than we do, so Ricky might have more of a chance as well. Think Redmond would get in their side as well as Ruddy

Hes consistantly making mistake game after game, hes a liability, accident waiting to happen, the fact that a 33 yr old Yobo has been 5x times the player Bassong has been this season says it all.

[quote user="braintree canary"]sarcasm greatest form of wit GJP , very impressed![/quote]

Actually people usually say it''s the lowest form of wit.

Glad you were impressed though.

[quote user="SooperHooper"]Hes consistantly making mistake game after game, hes a liability, accident waiting to happen, the fact that a 33 yr old Yobo has been 5x times the player Bassong has been this season says it all.[/quote]

Just the "5x times"?

I''d have gone at least 20x times.

Actually people usually say it''s the lowest form.

Unfunny people who don''t understand comedy say that. Like any type of comedy, it has to be well delivered to be effective.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Actually people usually say it''s the lowest form.

Unfunny people who don''t understand comedy say that. Like any type of comedy, it has to be well delivered to be effective.[/quote]How would you know?  [:^)]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have experience in comedy. That''s how.[/quote]

That''s a new one..

Very impressive!

I''ve go experience in bog cleaning and bingo calling....

[quote user="unique"]With both clubs having experienced the meteoric rise from League 1 to PL in consecutive seasons, Southampton have already secured their third season in the Premiership. Which Norwich player(s) would get into the Southampton team, and would it be fair to guess that the resale value of the Norwich side < Lallana + Shaw?[/quote]

Well I see anothe thread leaving the OP and degenerating into point scoring.

For me I cannot really see anyone other than Redmond getting Southampton team they are 13 points better off because the players are better than ours. Yes we beat them at home, but over the season they have put the points on the board.

Which players would I have here......Shaw, Lallana & Rodriuez to name three.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have experience in comedy. That''s how.[/quote]

You''re not the writer for mrs brown''s boys are you, because then they''ll be fists at dawn

I don''t know who Mrs. Brown''s boys are, but I do know she has a lovely daughter. So no, I didn''t write for them or anybody.

Nigel, we now know what you do with the bog cleaning leftovers. (spread shity comments all over this forum)

Good one, Lame District! You really put me in my place with that one. (That is sarcasm, by the way)

Really some funny comeback stuff there, Houston Canary. Just the 9 hours to come up with! Don''t go and quit the day job now will you. Unless of course, your day job is writing jokes