Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Is there a lesson to be learnt?

From the Manager''s interview earlier today;

On the impressive season for City’s opponents, he added: “I’m not sure what levels we expected, but we knew they were going to be good and offensive because they’ve got players that can score goals.

“They recruited well and they’ve had a really good policy of bringing through a few of the younger ones. In Luke Shaw, they have someone who’s very much going to be a star over the next few years.

Is there a lesson to be learnt here by our management team?

Besides Josh Murphy, who probably only got a game because of the number of injuries we had, our managem,ent team seems loathe to give our youngsters a shot at it and before anyone says they need more experience, Shaw didn''t go out on loan, Ward Prowse didn''t go out on loan and both made their debuts aged 16. They have gone on to be very exciting young players, I''m sure we have some too, Loza, Murphy x 2, Morris, McGeeham, Gafaiti, to name but a few.

In particular I would like to see Loza given ago, OK he''s not going to win you much in the air, but he has ball control and knows where the goal is, and anyone who has seen any of the U21 games recently will know that. Let''s be honest what have we got to lose?

[quote user="Ray"]From the Manager''s interview earlier today;

On the impressive season for City’s opponents, he added: “I’m not sure what levels we expected, but we knew they were going to be good and offensive because they’ve got players that can score goals.

“They recruited well and they’ve had a really good policy of bringing through a few of the younger ones. In Luke Shaw, they have someone who’s very much going to be a star over the next few years.

Is there a lesson to be learnt here by our management team?

Besides Josh Murphy, who probably only got a game because of the number of injuries we had, our managem,ent team seems loathe to give our youngsters a shot at it and before anyone says they need more experience, Shaw didn''t go out on loan, Ward Prowse didn''t go out on loan and both made their debuts aged 16. They have gone on to be very exciting young players, I''m sure we have some too, Loza, Murphy x 2, Morris, McGeeham, Gafaiti, to name but a few.

In particular I would like to see Loza given ago, OK he''s not going to win you much in the air, but he has ball control and knows where the goal is, and anyone who has seen any of the U21 games recently will know that. Let''s be honest what have we got to lose?[/quote]I see what you''re saying Ray, and I don''t entirely disagree, they are a great crop of youngsters.As you know I go to a few games, and I really like the look of Loza, McGeeham and Morris. But I just think this season is a season too soon for them, though I would be willing to make an exception for Loza.I guess its down to "if they are good enough, they are old enough" and maybe we view them through green and yellow glasses a bit?

Morty,

I think Loza ahead of Morris, who I do like the look of and for a big lad has quite quick feet but I''m not sure he is a natural goalscorer, but being the youngest of those mentioned still has plenty of time to learn.

I think CH may as well put Loza on the bench in place of Bechio, who is unlikely to get a game, as he can fill a couple of roles.

Cam McGeehan is doing very well at Luton, pretty much playing a full 90 every game

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

I think Loza ahead of Morris, who I do like the look of and for a big lad has quite quick feet but I''m not sure he is a natural goalscorer, but being the youngest of those mentioned still has plenty of time to learn.

I think CH may as well put Loza on the bench in place of Bechio, who is unlikely to get a game, as he can fill a couple of roles.

Cam McGeehan is doing very well at Luton, pretty much playing a full 90 every game[/quote]I think it would be more likely he replace Becchio with Morris, though like you, I rate Loza a lot higher.Its difficult, the Prem is a big step up, and you don''t want to put them in too soon, if they aren''t ready. I know Murphy only really played as cover, but had he impressed enough, he would have got more games.Ideally you would like to blood a few of them towards the end of the season in "nothing" games, but I doubt we''ll have any!Hopefully we''ll see a few more go out on a half season loan next season, and maybe feature in the first team squad this time next year.

[quote user="Ray"]Is there a lesson to be learnt here by our management team?[/quote]Hughton gave Redmond his debut when he was sixteen and he''s also played Murphy. He''s not adverse to giving youngsters a chance.The reality is, if he started with Murphy and left Snoddy, Pilks or Redmond on the bench and we lost, he''d be crucified on here.

Southamptons academy does seem to be exceptional and something we can learn from.   From memory Soton used some dead games at the end of the season to give their youngsters first team experience in an unpressurised environment  - if only we had that opportunity... 

Murphy is clearly the stand out talent and I would like to see him get more pitch time;    Loza may as well sit on the bench as Becchio even match day experience helps;  

I agree with Rays assessment on Morris,  who I suspect will continue to develop over the next 18 months as I dont this is quite ready and is a perfect loan candidate for next season;   Gaifiti and Cam I suspect will need to follow the same route and it is likely that while this is our best crop for a while it may not yet match the best the other academies are producing;   that Josh was representing england at several age groups and most others have not is a key indicator of whats to come (although that may be due to lil Norwich syndrome).

Ray - I know you follow the youngsters very closely and I think you''ve said on here that a couple of them lodge with you. Like you - I really want to see our home grown players succeed. However, that natural desire to see them do well shouldn''t cloud our judgement.

Loza has been on loan to both Coventry and Orient this season and has got very little game time with either. If two clubs in Division 1 don''t see enough in him at the moment for him to make their first team do we really think he is ready for a shot at the Premier League at the moment?

I know many of people on here want Hughton out, but he has a very keen eye for young talent, and developing players. Redmond speaks very highly of him and shows a lot of praise for the way Hughton has developed him. So for me if any of the youth players were ready, they would be out there playing now.

Zipper,

Many of our academy lads represent their respective countries and have done for a few years.

Have a feeling there may be another loan coming up to a League 1 club won''t say who, will let the club or the player announce it.

Fair point Ray,  my bad ignorance.

But yes - in principle we should be bringing them through if good enough.

And good news about getting league experience,   pro competetive matches is the best education and a loan is good if we can''t accomodate here (which I think is the case right now)

but I stand by my view that we should be getting Loza on the bench ahead of becchio,   the latter wont be used,  has no future here and is proven to be not as sharp as either rvw or hoops;   elmander is a loanee and again wont be here next season,   so for the last few games why would we not given loza a few minutes and introduce the unexpected to our opponents if the time was right?

Unless he is the one about to go out on loan!

Hi Zipper,

Agree with Loza, loanee, is Adel Gafaiti to Oldham.

[quote user="Ray"]Hi Zipper, Agree with Loza, loanee, is Adel Gafaiti to Oldham.[/quote]

excellent news on Adel;  hope he plays and shines