Sign in to follow this  
Scoot1975

An alternative view on "plastics"

I have seen much on here lately criticising so called plastics. I however would like to see more. Bring on the fans from far flung places. For many reasons. Firstly a club only attracts plastics by being successful, so if we have more plastics then it means we have been successful. Secondly the increased merchandise sales brought by such fans. Thirdly and possibly most financially rewarding is the increased sponsorship revenue that is available in countries such as China. All of these things benefit the club much more than some people here want to acknowledge.

I quite agree. I find the criticism absolutely and genuinely baffling and inexplicable ... not to mention tiresome and elitist.

Those that want the club to be a "locals" club only, should go off and form their own message board entitled "Yokel''un".  That would leave this board clear for anyone who just wants to show support for their club, whether they live in Norwich or not and regardless of how many or how few matches they can go to.

The  "Yokel''un" can be a place where the single brain cell variety of fans can go along and congratulate themselves on their small mindedness.  They can talk about themselves to their hearts content and won''t be pestered by normal fans, locals or otherwise.    But, of course, we can imagine that the "Yokel''un" message board wouldn''t last long.  Six people is a very small amount of people to keep a board like that going..............

There are two types of fan as far as I''m concerned.  Welcoming fans and unwelcoming fans.  Thankfully the welcoming ones far outnumber the rest.

The two main posters who constantly have a go at "plastic" fans are clearly not City fans at all, but simple trolls (and pretty rubbish ones at that).

I do like the different perspectives we get from around the world - there used to be a guy from Hungary who posted, often with a lot of sense, or the guy from West Cork.  There are some like Houston Canary who I disagree with most of the time, but I don''t doubt he is a fan of Norwich City and that''s the important thing in the end.

Bell End Canary.... did you ever hear the expression...... ''I fear thou doth protest too much''. If thats a little high brow for you then how about ''he who smelt it,dealt it''. What i''m trying to say is that I feel all this noise and finger pointing indicates you feeling a certain unease in your own credentials as a non plastic.

As a plastic, the phrase "sticks and stones" comes to mind.

If my distribution on replica shirts, Tees, and budgie key rings around east Texas boost the clubs finances and a few more people know of teams outside Manchester and London, then great too.

Mostly, I laugh at the term.

Be happy to meet up though for the WBA game to discuss in person.

Can we get definitive qualifying criteria for what actually constitutes membership of the Plastic Club...I fear I may qualify and have really been losing sleep over it recently!!! Am I deluding myself with my lack of authenticity, how can I ever prove my Norwichness unless there is a simple test which I can take which I know will satisfy the true, real, die-hard fan.

I think we should be told

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Can we get definitive qualifying criteria for what actually constitutes membership of the Plastic Club...I fear I may qualify and have really been losing sleep over it recently!!! Am I deluding myself with my lack of authenticity, how can I ever prove my Norwichness unless there is a simple test which I can take which I know will satisfy the true, real, die-hard fan.

I think we should be told

[/quote]

To be a "plastic" is a compliment.   The majority of fans in and around the City and around the world are "plastics".   The term is meant to be derogatory, but it really means anyone who follows/supports/is a fan of our club.   The opposite of plastic,  is called being a sp.....no, I can''t say that....ok then, a twatstic.   These twatstics are the select few who see other Norwich fans as less important than they are and like to show it by trying to be antagonistic towards them.    

So to be "plastic" is a good thing.  

Being a "twatstic"......well that''s something else.

There is no debate about "plastics" (and that''s not to say that the OP''s original post isn''t very right) - because the only people who bring it up are 1p5wich fans in disguise - Thorpe End Canary and Simple Jack, who are both kids on the wind-up.

I''ve always considered the term "Plastic Fans" to pertain to those fairweather fans who jump on the bandwagon of a clubs success.   They have no connection to the home town or even country of the club.   It becomes fashionable to support a club and the merchandise is bought and worn as designer accessories. very fashionable.

I suppose there is a psychological reason behind it - by attaching themselves to success may give the feeling of personal success.   I don''t know.   I''m not a shrink.

So the elite clubs of the PL attract a lot of "Fans" who have no attachment to the area or the club.   Have no logical reason to support it but have chosen it anyway solely because of the clubs success and name then spend an awful lot of money on the merchandise in the on-line shop.   The club quite rightly embraces them into the fold sending them personal e-mails keeping them up to date on this months special offers and suchlike.

Plastic fans are a compliment to a clubs success.   You don''t really find plastic fans outside the top tiers of the league - not true plastics anyway - if a team were to fall from grace into the depths of say, league 1, the plastics would desert like rats from a ship and find a more trendy club to support

So if you supported Norwich in league 1 you are not a true plastic.   You are an imposter!!!

What does make me laugh is how some people manage to get so wound up about it.

[quote user="morty"]What does make me laugh is how some people manage to get so wound up about it.
[/quote]

What makes me laugh as I am getting whacked into and I didnt even start the thread!

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]

[quote user="morty"]What does make me laugh is how some people manage to get so wound up about it.[/quote]

What makes me laugh as I am getting whacked into and I didnt even start the thread!

[/quote]Poor you.[:(]

Agreed, some people really should get out more (from mummy''s basement). I''ll be plastic and proud from a long distance.

On a related point...has plastic actually been discovered down Ipswich way yet or are they still using animal skins and wicker baskets in their caves in place of the modern discovery we all enjoy?!?!? (insert own punchline re: Suffolk plastics being baskets)

Shankslad that sounds about right although I''d argue the definition applies as much, if not much more, to fairweather fans from the same country and even the locality, for whom it''s so much more convenient and less effort to support the club. However, that leads to two thoughts :

1. A good proportion will be converted and stay fans for life. Which is marvellous.

2. If success creates plastic fans, then really... we''re pretty much immune for the present, so can people stop throwing the phrase around, please!

I guess new members could always be subjected to a test of some kind. Perhaps like ''shibboleth'' in the Bible. Make them pronounce Costessey?

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Agreed, some people really should get out more (from mummy''s basement). I''ll be plastic and proud from a long distance.

On a related point...has plastic actually been discovered down Ipswich way yet or are they still using animal skins and wicker baskets in their caves in place of the modern discovery we all enjoy?!?!? (insert own punchline re: Suffolk plastics being baskets)

[/quote]

They do indeed have plastic in Ip5w1ch! if you have ever watched the highlights of matches on look east you will see rows of empty plastic seats at poorman road. Just ask our resident pair of binners if you don''t believe me....