Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

This weekends fixtures

So with so many teams around us still with a game or in Sunderland''s case, 3 in hand, what does everyone think and also hope the rules are this weekend.
There are a lot of six-pointers, and only Stoke, Us, Cardiff and Fulham have played 29 games in the bottom 10 with everyone else on 28 games played, with the exception of Sunderland who have played 26.
We can argue all day which is worth more, points on the board or games in hand. But if you believe Mourinho, he suggests games in hand, as it is means control of your own destiny.
Here are the results as I would like to see them pan out:
Hull vs. Man City - Man City win
Everton vs. Cardiff - Everton win
Fulham vs. Newcastle - Newcastle win
Saints vs. Norwich - sneaky away win for us
Stoke vs. West Ham - draw
Sunderland vs. Palace - draw
Swansea vs. WBA - draw
Villa vs. Chelsea - Chelsea win
How I think it will go:
Hull vs. Man City - Man City win
Everton vs. Cardiff - Everton win
Fulham vs. Newcastle - draw
Saints vs. Norwich - Southampton win
Stoke vs. West Ham - West Ham win
Sunderland vs. Palace - draw
Swansea vs. WBA - Swansea win
Villa vs. Chelsea - Chelsea win
I''m wondering in the case of the Stoke, Sunderland, and Swansea games what is better.... Would people rather see the teams around us take a point each and draw so we have the prospect to climb the table a bit if we pick up a couple of wins. Or would we rather see the teams marginally just above us take all 3 points to really bury the ones marginally just below?
I''d still hope for draws, rather than see Swansea take 3 points all to themselves. Thoughts?

Normally I like the draws to keep us in the running for a climb up the table for extra money based on finishing position. This late in this season, I want those below us to keep losing. Survival may depend on one or two of them having a late run of good results, but if we''re out of reach, it won''t matter.

I''d now take survival over getting voted off the Prem. at the last minute.

Right now it would help of course if teams directly below us dropped points and we keep picking them up including one tomorrow, oh why dont I state the obvious :-) .....so definately a win for Swansea, Everton and Newcastle United....and even though they are below us.....the exception to the rule this week has to be Palace winning at Sunderland........plus the headliner is that we certainly dont want any points for Cardiff City or West Brom.

But a win for City.........and the above happening would be huge.... we can dream

Sunderland''s three games in hand are:

Liverpool away, being played on 26th March;

Man City away, yet to re-arranged;

WBA home, yet to be re-arranged.

I don''t expect them to get much from the two away games, so this weekend''s game against Palace might indicate what they can expect to get from the WBA game. 

I think this weekends fixtures and impending games in hand show just how much we need at least 4 points from the next two to make life that bit easier for us.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Right now it would help of course if teams directly below us dropped points and we keep picking them up including one tomorrow, oh why dont I state the obvious :-) .....so definately a win for Swansea, Everton and Newcastle United....and even though they are below us.....the exception to the rule this week has to be Palace winning at Sunderland........plus the headliner is that we certainly dont want any points for Cardiff City or West Brom.

But a win for City.........and the above happening would be huge.... we can dream

[/quote]

I agree with Swansea, Everton and Newcastle, but would have to question the Crystal Palace one.   I think they are prime candidates to drop back into the mire  -  their goal difference is poor too.   It is often those with the worst goal difference that end up in the bottom three and being as I don''t want it to be us, I think with the Pulis honeymoon period over, they may struggle more.  A draw between them and Sunderland would be good imo as it keeps them both down there.  

Ideal for me is that Cardiff, Fulham and WBA don''t get any points. Maintain the gap. If they all lose then it''s at worst (for us, best for them) one game less for them to make up those 4 points.