Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

Southampon Home Form vs Norwich Away Form

Southampon last 8 Home Premier League- W1 D3 L4

Norwich last 8 Away Premier League- W1 D2 L5

Still think we might struggle, but there is some hope.

[quote user="Winning 25"]Southampon last 8 Home Premier League- W1 D3 L4

Still think we might struggle, but there is some hope.[/quote]Interesting stat, I would have assumed their home record was better than that.

I always try to look on the positive side but Villa''s home record was also dreadful. Its stating the obvious but West Brom and Sunderland at home are going to define our season. I think anything less than 6 points from those 2 will have fatal consequences sadly.

I would rather they had brilliant home form - whenever we play teams in bad form we seem to put out our worst performances (Fulham, Cardiff, Villa etc)

This forum will be better though Warren. Nobody speaks ill of the dead. We''ll be a good old club then. They''ll say we always did our best and never did anyone any harm....

Their defeats were against Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and a game in which they had 78% possession and 21 shots at goal.......but lost to..certainly the team I think has the most luck and good fortune in the EPL ....Aston Villa (yes, I know I am a bitter man....can''t help myself).

So, sure if they can win, then why not us.....  

Theres no reason why we can''t go and win.We have shown, when the mood takes us, we can be a match for any side in this division.Lets hope the players are a bit more positive than some of you lot.

[quote user="Winning 25"]Southampon last 8 Home Premier League- W1 D3 L4

Still think we might struggle, but there is some hope.[/quote]There is an interesting take on those figures in today''s Guardian, from a reporter who is, as it happens, a West Ham fan with no axe to grind:Norwich''s 2-0 defeat at West Ham last month was unforgiveable. They outplayed West Ham for long periods, comfortable in defence and occasionally inspired in attack, and were denied four times by excellent saves by Adrián.But then Chris Hughton settled for a point. He took off Gary Hooper after 76 minutes and Nathan Redmond after 81 minutes; they had been the best players on the pitch. Removing them handed the initiative to West Ham, who had been atrocious, and Norwich promptly conceded two scrappy goals in the final six minutes.

It was a defeat that summed up Hughton''s tenure. His natural caution has made him deeply unpopular with Norwich''s fans, who would be glad to see the back of him even if their side stays up. Yet with Norwich four points above the bottom three and facing an arduous run-in, now would be a good time for Hughton to embrace a more adventurous approach. A trip to Southampton is not easy but Mauricio Pochettino''s side have only won once at home since November and have little to play for now that they are safe in mid-table. There is no excuse for Norwich not to exploit the situation and attack. They have the players to score goals if only they were let off the leash. Jacob Steinberg

I’ve been viewing this forum for years and never felt compelled to post. I must admit I’m not a fan of Hughton and if I had to pick sides o would be with the ‘outers’

This opinion is reconfirmed by Purples post of an article from the Guardian that in two paragraphs epitomises everything that is wrong with Hughtons philosophy and approach to a game. As quoted Norwich at West Ham were on the ascendancy and the better side, but in his cautious approach to secure a point rather than be ambitious and go for the three he sacrificed the two best players on the pitch!

Inner or outer doesn’t matter, this was an objective opinion of someone not clouded by inner/outer bias but verifies to me why Hughton is not the man to take this club forward.

[quote user="Cliff the Canary"]I’ve been viewing this forum for years and never felt compelled to post. I must admit I’m not a fan of Hughton and if I had to pick sides o would be with the ‘outers’

This opinion is reconfirmed by Purples post of an article from the Guardian that in two paragraphs epitomises everything that is wrong with Hughtons philosophy and approach to a game. As quoted Norwich at West Ham were on the ascendancy and the better side, but in his cautious approach to secure a point rather than be ambitious and go for the three he sacrificed the two best players on the pitch!

Inner or outer doesn’t matter, this was an objective opinion of someone not clouded by inner/outer bias but verifies to me why Hughton is not the man to take this club forward.[/quote]

It may have appeared cautious to us, but was Hughton really being cautious, or was he just trusting that his subs would do a good job?    He may have thought that Redmond and Hooper were starting to tire.    Pilkington is no weak player (on form) and Elmander a Swedish international.  He may simply have been trusting that they would be good enough to help us over the line.   I''m not really defending Hughton here, because I thought the same as most people at the time - but there is more to it than just caution imo.  

Some would say that taking off Hooper and Redmond sent out the wrong message - and I would agree - but I hope and trust that  Hughton will have learned from it.   I do not believe that managers are any less able to learn than players or anyone else.   The very next game - at home to Spurs - Hughton made two substitutions that  were effective in every way - strengthening the team and sending a message out that we were going to win that match.    Hooper for RVW and Hoolahan for a tiring Redmond.  Both subs were positive and helped us win.   So a mistake maybe in one match but excellent in the next. 

Managers take the responsibility, but to me it is not cut and dried that just because something is wrong in one match, that it will be wrong in every match.  Sure we need to improve our away record - but if the strikers had done their job in the first place - that West Ham result would have been very different.

Well it''s a funny thing because I watched that game on the wireless and Darel Russell was calling for Elmander to replace Hooper earlier than it happened. He said that Hooper was becoming isolated up front and Elmander would perhaps be able to hold the ball up to bring in supporting players. In his opinion Hughton made an attacking substitution. I can''t really see why replacing a forward with a forward is a signal that we''re settling for a draw. To my mind that substitution was in order for us to go more direct because of tiring players.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Cliff the Canary"]I’ve been viewing this forum for years and never felt compelled to post. I must admit I’m not a fan of Hughton and if I had to pick sides o would be with the ‘outers’

Inner or outer doesn’t matter, this was an objective opinion of someone not clouded by inner/outer bias but verifies to me why Hughton is not the man to take this club forward.[/quote]

It may have appeared cautious to us, but was Hughton really being cautious, or was he just trusting that his subs would do a good job?    He may have thought that Redmond and Hooper were starting to tire.    Pilkington is no weak player (on form) and Elmander a Swedish international.  He may simply have been trusting that they would be good enough to help us over the line.   I''m not really defending Hughton here, because I thought the same as most people at the time - but there is more to it than just caution imo.  

Some would say that taking off Hooper and Redmond sent out the wrong message - and I would agree - but I hope and trust that  Hughton will have learned from it.   I do not believe that managers are any less able to learn than players or anyone else.   The very next game - at home to Spurs - Hughton made two substitutions that  were effective in every way - strengthening the team and sending a message out that we were going to win that match.    Hooper for RVW and Hoolahan for a tiring Redmond.  Both subs were positive and helped us win.   So a mistake maybe in one match but excellent in the next. 

Managers take the responsibility, but to me it is not cut and dried that just because something is wrong in one match, that it will be wrong in every match.  Sure we need to improve our away record - but if the strikers had done their job in the first place - that West Ham result would have been very different.

[/quote]

That’s the divide in in opinion is that off courses we all have our own opinion. If’s/buts/maybes will always be the foundation of football gossip!

My observational is that Hughton over the course of 18 months (not 1 game) does not have the attitude to take us forward.

I suppose this depends on the boards ambitions, do we want to scrape through season to season playing dross defensive and cautious football to sustain the cash cow that is the premier league! Actually reading my last sentence highlights the financial ends that a board will go to continue the ‘premier league dream’ to keep us up, despite all costs, the sacrifice being attractive and entertaining football.

As fans what do we want, what do we aspire too, I for one would take a Lamebet esque rise to a Hughton ethos of mediocrity

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Cliff the Canary"]I’ve been viewing this forum for years and never felt compelled to post. I must admit I’m not a fan of Hughton and if I had to pick sides o would be with the ‘outers’

[/quote]

That’s the divide in in opinion is that off courses we all have our own opinion. If’s/buts/maybes will always be the foundation of football gossip!

My observational is that Hughton over the course of 18 months (not 1 game) does not have the attitude to take us forward.

I suppose this depends on the boards ambitions, do we want to scrape through season to season playing dross defensive and cautious football to sustain the cash cow that is the premier league! Actually reading my last sentence highlights the financial ends that a board will go to continue the ‘premier league dream’ to keep us up, despite all costs, the sacrifice being attractive and entertaining football.

As fans what do we want, what do we aspire too, I for one would take a Lamebet esque rise and gung-ho to a Hughton ethos of mediocrity and pessimism

[quote user="Cliff the Canary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Cliff the Canary"]I’ve been viewing this forum for years and never felt compelled to post. I must admit I’m not a fan of Hughton and if I had to pick sides o would be with the ‘outers’

It may have appeared cautious to us, but was Hughton really being cautious, or was he just trusting that his subs would do a good job?    He may have thought that Redmond and Hooper were starting to tire.    Pilkington is no weak player (on form) and Elmander a Swedish international.  He may simply have been trusting that they would be good enough to help us over the line.   I''m not really defending Hughton here, because I thought the same as most people at the time - but there is more to it than just caution imo.   Some would say that taking off Hooper and Redmond sent out the wrong message - and I would agree - but I hope and trust that  Hughton will have learned from it.   I do not believe that managers are any less able to learn than players or anyone else.   The very next game - at home to Spurs - Hughton made two substitutions that  were effective in every way - strengthening the team and sending a message out that we were going to win that match.    Hooper for RVW and Hoolahan for a tiring Redmond.  Both subs were positive and helped us win.   So a mistake maybe in one match but excellent in the next.  Managers take the responsibility, but to me it is not cut and dried that just because something is wrong in one match, that it will be wrong in every match.  Sure we need to improve our away record - but if the strikers had done their job in the first place - that West Ham result would have been very different.

[/quote]

As fans what do we want, what do we aspire too, I for one would take a Lamebet esque rise and gung-ho to a Hughton ethos of mediocrity and pessimism[/quote]

It was great under Lambert, true - but it is hard to play like that at the top level season after season.  Just look at how Lambert is struggling to get his team working at Villa and the fact that fans there criticise him almost as much as Hughton gets criticised here.  I still am of the opinion that a Hughton team at its best is a well balanced team in all areas, defence midfield and attack - and we have seen this on more than one occasion.   The frustration is that it is not  happening consistently enough.   

I would really, really like to see Hughton have a great season next year, building on the groundwork he has done in organising and getting players in - and seeing it come to fruition in terms of goals and results.   These last two seasons it seems as if the jigsaw puzzle has pieces missing along the way.    Last year midfield struggled to get anything going after Christmas.  This year the midfield has been better on many occasions, but the defence has had problems - and important pieces have been missing due to injuries.  When the defence and midfield have been good at the same time the strikers have struggled - and that is the area that has to improve - and we have been creating chances more often than not.  

Its maybe easier for me to be optimistic as I only get to a few games each year and I can imagine that going week in week out to matches can cause people to think things are not progressing as they would like.  But I have seen every game all the way through and tough though it is to watch sometimes, I often end up with the feeling that the players are the ones that have to match up to what is expected of them, rather than the manager doing something different.   At the end of the day the Hughton signing was calculated and regarded as a long term project - the reasons being that he would create a way of playing that would be sustainable in the long term.  I don''t for one minute think he has achieved it yet - the consistency of performance is still not there - and we have to score more - but there have been some good things this season - more recent performances have been better and if strikers had done their job we would be sitting higher in the table. 

What Hughton is not about imo is being defensive and negative - sometimes we look that way because we give the ball away too cheaply too often and end up in a defensive shape. But when we keep the ball and use it well we look good and we create chances.