Sign in to follow this  
Holtcantshoot

A growing sense of indifference and detachment

Was just wondering whether anyone else is beginning to experience the same growing sense of indifference towards this current Norwich team as I am at the moment? I can remember for the last 20 years or so hoping we''d one day reach the top flight again and establish ourselves as a Premier League team. However strangely with the current manager and squad I just seem to have stopped really caring about how they do. I look at the general effort levels of players like Leroy Fer, Wolfswinkel and Bassong, the general unwillingness to take on personal responsibility in the team, players continuous disloyalty and attempts to leave such as Holt, Hoolahan and Ruddy and the managers negative tendencies that stretch to trying to hold on for a 4-1 defeat at Aston Villa and I can''t honestly say I care if they stay up and keep their inflated £20k+ weekly wages or not.The extra money from the league only seems to be slipped into the back pockets of average foreign journeymen shipped in from other sides who''d been relegated before us. If we''re not improving the stadium and building for the clubs future does it matter if Delia and her cronies get a bonus at the end of the year?Don''t get me wrong, I don''t want us to get relegated as such. I just don''t really mind. A bit like when you go to watch a film and the plots so dull you stop really caring what happens to the characters.

Has Ruddy TRIED to leave??? Thought he was tapped up by Chelski!Spew your bile somewhere else, man!

It''s absolutely NOT the Prem.

I''ve been thinking along the same lines, although not personally. The life does seem to be getting sucked out of the Norwich City Universe, though.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Was just wondering whether anyone else is beginning to experience the same growing sense of indifference towards this current Norwich team as I am at the moment? I can remember for the last 20 years or so hoping we''d one day reach the top flight again and establish ourselves as a Premier League team. However strangely with the current manager and squad I just seem to have stopped really caring about how they do. I look at the general effort levels of players like Leroy Fer, Wolfswinkel and Bassong, the general unwillingness to take on personal responsibility in the team, players continuous disloyalty and attempts to leave such as Holt, Hoolahan and Ruddy and the managers negative tendencies that stretch to trying to hold on for a 4-1 defeat at Aston Villa and I can''t honestly say I care if they stay up and keep their inflated £20k+ weekly wages or not.The extra money from the league only seems to be slipped into the back pockets of average foreign journeymen shipped in from other sides who''d been relegated before us. If we''re not improving the stadium and building for the clubs future does it matter if Delia and her cronies get a bonus at the end of the year?Don''t get me wrong, I don''t want us to get relegated as such. I just don''t really mind. A bit like when you go to watch a film and the plots so dull you stop really caring what happens to the characters.[/quote]

I''ve been like that since Christmas. Not quite total apathy, but a resignation that our three years are up, back to the Championship with us and if we don''t win promotion straight back to the Premiership next year, it''s time to put up with another 10 to 15 years of mediocrity again. Ohh the joys of supporting Norwich City.

[quote user="Herman "]Have we been relegated?[/quote]More times than I care to remember and definitely enough times to notice the warning signs which have been here since Christmas last year.But still at least the band''s still playing whilst the ship is going down. ;)

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"][quote user="Herman "]Have we been relegated?[/quote]More times than I care to remember and definitely enough times to notice the warning signs which have been here since Christmas last year.But still at least the band''s still playing whilst the ship is going down. ;)[/quote]

The ship is sailing through choppy seas but is built strong enough to ride the storm and I don''t know about the band, but the outers'' band-wagon will disappear below the surface long before the ship does.....imo.  [;)]

And once again, a little gallows humor is spoiled by LDC''s Romper Room Blue Peter Fantasy Island commentary.

Only the wink emiticon gives away that it is intended to be humorous. Intended to be.

And once again some are allowed an opinion and some appear not.......just what is wrong with being loyal to our great Football Club and also positive and attached?

Yes, I personally feel that this is certainly a symptom of the EPL and in particular being a club of our size in this league. Why, well for obvious reasons......results are inconsistent, performances are inconsistent, there are many sides and squads much better than ours, defeats can and do get you down, small fish in a big pond, big club envy......it can all get to us as we look back on how "happy" we were when we were WINNING the majority of the games we played and steaming up the league as a big fish in the smaller ponds. It''s hard to take, you start to look for someone to blame, people to blame, just like when there is a death in the family...... and some just cant cope with it, I too struggle at times, like I did after the West Ham game when I was convinced that we would now go down and threw a small strop.

I suspect that some, not all, of those feeling particular indifferent and detached havnt been supporting the club for so long and this is new to them, as I said some not all.  

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Was just wondering whether anyone else is beginning to experience the same growing sense of indifference towards this current Norwich team as I am at the moment? I can remember for the last 20 years or so hoping we''d one day reach the top flight again and establish ourselves as a Premier League team. However strangely with the current manager and squad I just seem to have stopped really caring about how they do. I look at the general effort levels of players like Leroy Fer, Wolfswinkel and Bassong, the general unwillingness to take on personal responsibility in the team, players continuous disloyalty and attempts to leave such as Holt, Hoolahan and Ruddy and the managers negative tendencies that stretch to trying to hold on for a 4-1 defeat at Aston Villa and I can''t honestly say I care if they stay up and keep their inflated £20k+ weekly wages or not.The extra money from the league only seems to be slipped into the back pockets of average foreign journeymen shipped in from other sides who''d been relegated before us. If we''re not improving the stadium and building for the clubs future does it matter if Delia and her cronies get a bonus at the end of the year?Don''t get me wrong, I don''t want us to get relegated as such. I just don''t really mind. A bit like when you go to watch a film and the plots so dull you stop really caring what happens to the characters.[/quote]What bonus would that be?

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"]Was just wondering whether anyone else is beginning to experience the same growing sense of indifference towards this current Norwich team as I am at the moment? I can remember for the last 20 years or so hoping we''d one day reach the top flight again and establish ourselves as a Premier League team. However strangely with the current manager and squad I just seem to have stopped really caring about how they do. I look at the general effort levels of players like Leroy Fer, Wolfswinkel and Bassong, the general unwillingness to take on personal responsibility in the team, players continuous disloyalty and attempts to leave such as Holt, Hoolahan and Ruddy and the managers negative tendencies that stretch to trying to hold on for a 4-1 defeat at Aston Villa and I can''t honestly say I care if they stay up and keep their inflated £20k+ weekly wages or not.The extra money from the league only seems to be slipped into the back pockets of average foreign journeymen shipped in from other sides who''d been relegated before us. If we''re not improving the stadium and building for the clubs future does it matter if Delia and her cronies get a bonus at the end of the year?Don''t get me wrong, I don''t want us to get relegated as such. I just don''t really mind. A bit like when you go to watch a film and the plots so dull you stop really caring what happens to the characters.[/quote]What bonus would that be?

[/quote]

Correct me if I''m wrong, But we were in this position this time last season and the season before, and as far as I can see we will always be in the bottom half until we can get ourselves a sugar daddy to stump up the cash to bring in the big name players, So I think we have to learn to put up with our position for a while longer

[quote user="Houston Canary"]And once again, a little gallows humor is spoiled by LDC''s Romper Room Blue Peter Fantasy Island commentary.

Only the wink emiticon gives away that it is intended to be humorous. Intended to be.[/quote]You''re painfully unfunny, how many times do you need to be told?Just because one person laughed at you recently, not with you, it doesn''t make you the comedy guru you seem to think you are, in your head.I flush funnier things than you away most days.

Herman wrote the following post at 2014-03-15 2:03 AM:

Have we been relegated?

Not yet, but not too much longer to wait if we lose today!

[quote user="City 2nd"]Herman wrote the following post at 2014-03-15 2:03 AM:

Have we been relegated?

Not yet, but not too much longer to wait if we lose today![/quote]Sounds like you are almost looking forward to it.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Is it the premier league? What other teams feel like we do? Maybe Newcastle? Villa?

Yep ruddy wanted to leave I wouldn''t be surprised if he went in the summer esp if he didn''t go to Brazil.[/quote]After the initial excitement of being promoted, and making all the trips away, and seeing the big teams come to your ground, then yes, there is a realisation with a lot that they are in a division they do not have any chance of winning.And all they have to aim for every season is to not be relegated.

morty wrote the following post at 15/03/2014 9:18 AM:

.............. After the initial excitement of being promoted, and making all the trips

away, and seeing the big teams come to your ground, then yes, there is a

realisation with a lot that they are in a division they do not have any

chance of winning.And all they have to aim for every season is to not be relegated.

It is in fact a sad realisation that for 6 teams in the division fifth place is failure but for the other 14 seventeenth place is success.

Until and unless changes are made to allow more of the 14 a chance, even a slim chance, of a top position the Premiership will become a boring competition.

Reckon there''s a world of difference in supporter terms between watching your boys trying to win, and then watching them trying not to lose.  The latter one is what sucks the joy out of matchdays.

morty wrote the following post at 2014-03-15 12:50 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

Herman wrote the following post at 2014-03-15 2:03 AM: Have we been relegated? Not yet, but not too much longer to wait if we lose today!

Sounds like you are almost looking forward to it.

Not looking forward to it - just a realist.

[quote user="City 2nd"]morty wrote the following post at 2014-03-15 12:50 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

Herman wrote the following post at 2014-03-15 2:03 AM: Have we been relegated? Not yet, but not too much longer to wait if we lose today!

Not looking forward to it - just a realist.[/quote]Who I would say is definitely leaning towards the pessimistic side of things.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Is it the premier league? What other teams feel like we do? Maybe Newcastle? Villa?

Yep ruddy wanted to leave I wouldn''t be surprised if he went in the summer esp if he didn''t go to Brazil.[/quote]After the initial excitement of being promoted, and making all the trips away, and seeing the big teams come to your ground, then yes, there is a realisation with a lot that they are in a division they do not have any chance of winning.And all they have to aim for every season is to not be relegated.

[/quote]

I don''t disagree mate......nurse!!!!!

[quote user="City 2nd"]morty wrote the following post at 2014-03-15 12:50 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

Not looking forward to it - just a realist.[/quote]If you are a realist, who can hopefully deal in facts, here are some facts.There are currently 5 teams below us in the league table.Now take away any personal opinions about who has to play who, who is playing well, or any twaddle about games in hand, the fact is that there are 5 teams below us. And it has been that way for some time now. Now, it could happen that maybe one of those teams suddenly find form, sure it could, but two of them?If you take a step back from things, yeah, our season has been poor, but not as poor as at least 4 of the teams below us.If we were in the bottom three, looking up, and desperately hoping teams above us lose, I would share your pessimistic view.

The EPL reminds me of playing Squash - if you play anyone who is pretty much at the same level you can have a good game, but play anyone who is much better or worse than you and the game is very one sided, and not very enjoyable.

OK you occasionally get lucky and play a good player on their off day, but Squash ladders soon sort out the good players from the rest.

My point is that in the days of Division One the teams were much closer in their ability and chances of doing well.

Now, in the EPL, for most teams survival is the only goal (and, as I have said elsewhere, this means also that cups are an un-needed distraction), so, if the quality of football to achieve that survival is disappointing, then it is understandable that supporters will become indifferent and detached.

[quote user="NodgeFan"]Get your head out of your a rse once in a while Morty. Your sanctimonious drivel gets tiring after a while. Zzzz Zzz[/quote]Bless.Do you get through a lot of keyboards, with all the dribble damage?

Is it just that now we dont really seem to have much of a target, or much of anything to hope for? The novelty of watching us play bigger teams than Scunthorpe has worn off. Our heroes rarely give anyone the swashbuckling run for their money that was entertaining, our approach is more to suck the life out of opponents attacks, and indeed our own, with the goal being simply to stay in the league. Before, we could dream of promotion, winning the league and reaching ''the promised land''. Now all we can hope for is staying in the gentlemans club. We cant challenge for anything in the league, and we rarely show an interest in the cup. The only thing we can hope for is entertainment, not honours. And at the moment, entertainment is rather abandoned in the hope of honours (which are currently just staying in the league). We''ve replaced workhorses we could identify with, like and will to do well, with journeymen alleged racehorses who we know will be off the second the club suffers misfortune. Is the club better off than before - financially, unquestionably. Are the fans better off and enjoying more what the club offers them for a greater cost? Well there is the 64 million dollar question