Sign in to follow this  
ZEMAS TENDON

THEATRE

Is it me or is going to a football match more like going to the theatre now-a-days, where people just clap when something good happens and then just sit back and wait for something else to happen.. this is''nt a gripe at our fans, but when visiting games like charlton there was only a few fans behind the goal making any noise the KOP is''nt what it used to be... HIGHBURY is now called the "HIGHBURY LIBRARY" "PRAWN BRIGADE" at Manure.. is the passion being driven out the game by the ticket prices.. all seater grounds.. or have all the fans with passion been banned.. or is it no longer a working class sport for your average joe bloggs.

On The Ball City

"Norfolk through and through one of the remaining few"

[quote]Is it me or is going to a football match more like going to the theatre now-a-days, where people just clap when something good happens and then just sit back and wait for something else to happen.. th...[/quote]

Well Zemas Tendon, i can''t give you an answer to your question, but one thing that i will say is that at each game i go to i will sing my heart out till my voice box won''t let me, and i will do it with pride for our club. OTBC

It is a combination of things, high ticket prices, the current relative popularity of watching premier football as a leisure activity, the bandwagonsim of these leisure fans supporting the current successful club (which woodwork have all these chelsea fans come out of???) which ironically drives the price of tickets even higher and the current predictable nature of the league.

Without a doubt there is a complacency amongst the fans of established premier sides.  Only 3 sides can realistcally win the title, with the champs league compensation those that fail. The UEFA slots go to the same few teams as regularly as the teams entering the champs league. Mid table teams seasons stop once they are out of relegation trouble with little to be concerned about and no prospect of competing either next season or the one  beyond.  Charlton once had passionate fans - but with no hope of acheiving anything and nothing to worry about they have entrered a sedate old age!   

The sad fact is a well managed established prem club should NEVER get relegated as the financial advantages and ability to attract better players significantly outweigh anything that newly promoted clubs can do(Overlooking possible sugar daddies)

With such rampant predictability, if not on a game by game basis the certainly over a season, its no surprise that most prem stadiums are morgue like. We have spent seasons ridiculing the SPLs two horse race only to convert our own league into a carbon copy.   

That is why fans such as Pompeys, ours and the baggies are so welcome in the prem, they have a passion borne out of committed fans who follow a team as part of the lifestyle, not some current leisure/fashion status symbol. We have experienced painful teams (would this season have been so good if the last decade had not been as it was?)  In some ways being a yo-yo clubs could keep our club alive - each season having some meaning as results take us somewhere rather than a road to nowhere; becoming a mid table established prem side my drive us all to our early retirement home for fans. 

All I can say is thank you for Rupert Lowe  - without his mismanagement we would have had a sniff this season!

OTBC

Very good post Zipper. Having Rupert Lowe as chairman must be a bit like having Robert Chase!: