Sign in to follow this  
Mr Young

The Norwich City Way

Hughton will go, that''s a certainty.  Once the fans have turned there is rarely a way back.  I''m not sure this is a case of Norwich fans being unrealistic in their expectations as some have mentioned.  I certainly don''t think it''s a case of Norwich fans being negative in their view of Hughton or the clubs chances of staying on the Premier gravy train.

I think it comes down to this.  Deep down, each club probably has a philosophy.  Whether they like it or not.  I''m not sure when our club had it''s defining years, but I would suggest that from the late 70''s to the early 90''s Norwich played some of the most exciting football in the top flight of English football.  Not all the time of course, we did have a couple of relegations during this period but, on the whole, we saw a development, a blossoming of a style.  We became known, nationally,  for playing a passing style, ball on the ground, exciting wingers.  This culminated in, of course, a brief but thrilling European adventure where we cemented our status as one of the best teams in the country.  Yes, that''s right Norwich City one of the best teams in the country.  We had been for years.  And it wasn''t that long ago.  This isn''t ancient history, not quite anyhow.  Not yet.  I would argue this style is in our club''s DNA now.  

It seems to me, we all crave a little for that.  Of course, we all know how we hit rock bottom and how the last few years have seen us rise rapidly from the ruins of League One, back to the promised land.  

Now here we stand.  At a crossroads I believe.  The hard graft to get back here has happened.  We did it.  We got back to play with the big boys.  Now what?  Sure, it''s a different world to our ''defining era'' of the late 70''s to early 90''s.  However, what I believe many of us are realising is that the Premier League, save for the superstar laden top four or five teams, is not quite as good, technically, as we thought it was.  We can do better than just survive.  Not only that, but maybe there''s a realisation that, if we played with the passing swagger of our ''defining era'' we could be be a force to be reckoned with once more.  

I think we all know this isn''t easy to accomplish.  Not easy at all.  But I also think, and maybe I''m wrong, that a good number Norwich fans want to see this attacking approach, this fearless, exciting approach come back.  

So, the crossroads.  Do we keep hoping for survival and play the percentages year on year or do we, almost ignore the threat of relegation, ''Never Mind The Danger'' if you will, and play to attack every opponent, every game, playing to win every single time?

Hughton will go.  We face a decision.  It''s time to define who we want to be.  Let''s hope the board and fans and, ultimately, the next manager can recognise what makes Norwich City tick.  Our club''s DNA is made up of those great days when we were one of the best, a footballing ''backwater'' who out passed and out thought the big guns.  We might never quite get to the heights, league position wise, of those days, but our reputation?  Our style?  That''s in our DNA.  We just need the right manager to reignite it.  

Lets face up to facts. Once we had a good team made up of good players.

Now we are told we have recruited better players than before. That may or may not be so but they have most certainly not formed into a team and all the boasting and bragging statements we read in the press will do nothing to solve the problem.

I agree the current quality we have does not match some of the teams we had in the past. I never really bought into the theory that this was the best team we had ever assembled.

I do think, however, that we possibly have a decent few players who the right manager can build a team around in the summer.