Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Why it is NOT TOO LATE to change the manager...

People say it is too late to change manager. I disagree.

We are at a point where any change is a risk worth taking. CH has had long enough and nothing changes. Everyone is fed up so why not roll the dice?

Others say nobody would touch us. I disagree again.

If we appointed somebody on the understanding that relegation would be placed at CH''s door and not theirs and that we wanted a long term project then they would have every reason to arrive.

First because they get 8 games to evaluate the squad and see who is up to the challenge and who isn''t. Valuable experience before close season arrives.

Second because they also get the change to keep us up and gain loads of respect. Were somebody to have the effect Pulis did at Charlton then we would be fine.

So I say sack him now if a GOOD alternative can be found. For my money Phelan is worth a gamble due to his experience and connections. If not there are lots of other decent managers out there if we put together an attractive package.

Imo if you change the manager you are all but guaranteeing relegation. If we go down with this manager - and I still think we have as good a chance as any of the teams around us to stay up - if we go down, it would be better to start a new manager after this season has finished. A fresh start with a manager that will not immediately have the word relegation on his cv.

But, as I say, our best chance of staying up is to hold our nerve and support, not villify.  The board have trusted him when they could have sacked him months ago. That time has past, the decision was taken then - sink or swim with this manager. For my money we are still swimming..............

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2014-03-16 12:46 PM:

Imo if you change the manager you are all but guaranteeing relegation.

And for your information NOBODY is interested!

[quote user="lake district canary"] Imo if you change the manager you are all but guaranteeing relegation. If we go down with this manager - and I still think we have as good a chance as any of the teams around us to stay up - if we go down, it would be better to start a new manager after this season has finished. A fresh start with a manager that will not immediately have the word relegation on his cv.

But, as I say, our best chance of staying up is to hold our nerve and support, not villify.  The board have trusted him when they could have sacked him months ago. That time has past, the decision was taken then - sink or swim with this manager. For my money we are still swimming..............

[/quote]

And imo if we don''t change the manager we are all but guaranteeing relegation.

Perhaps if we did change our new manager would also have an impact on Charlton like the very clever Pulis has had when he is manager of Palace.

But seriously, of course its never to late, even with one game to go if we need a point to stay up the manager could change, BUT its whether you think it would work or not........and thats about opinion, and mine is it wouldnt. 

To change manager now would be a victory for hope over reason.

Recent history has shown that changing manager at this stage of the season rarely has an effect. Apart from Sunderland are there any other examples of club''s doing so and surviving?

It is an expensive decision to make the change so unless a top long term replacement is lined up, probably with relegation recognised as more likely than not, I can not see it happening. For those looking for a change the one hope I will give you is that McNally does seem to like to get his business done early.

In the meantime Hughton may still be our best chance of survival. The problem is our best chance is now looking a very slim chance.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]People say it is too late to change manager. I disagree. We are at a point where any change is a risk worth taking. CH has had long enough and nothing changes. Everyone is fed up so why not roll the dice? Others say nobody would touch us. I disagree again. If we appointed somebody on the understanding that relegation would be placed at CH''s door and not theirs and that we wanted a long term project then they would have every reason to arrive. First because they get 8 games to evaluate the squad and see who is up to the challenge and who isn''t. Valuable experience before close season arrives. Second because they also get the change to keep us up and gain loads of respect. Were somebody to have the effect Pulis did at Charlton then we would be fine. So I say sack him now if a GOOD alternative can be found. For my money Phelan is worth a gamble due to his experience and connections. If not there are lots of other decent managers out there if we put together an attractive package.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

It''s not going to happen and we all know it.The board will let the situation play out and deal with the final outcome at the end of season. Relegation or survival.Right now, supporting Norwich feels like sitting in the passenger seat of a car in the fast lane on the motorway with a drunk at the wheel.  Maybe we will be safe, if we are very, very lucky.  It appears more to do with chance than any sense of being in control of our own destiny. An almighty crash seems most likely.

The problem with this, in my opinion, is that you have two very different scenarios. Firstly, appointing someone for the next eight games to scratch together the points to keep us up. That person would likely have a very different outlook to someone who is being appointed as a long-term successor with a remit of rebuilding the squad for Championship football. If we appointed someone for the next eight games and still went down, we may not end up with the best person to take us back up next season. The board know this, and I think there''s likely to be some truth in the rumours that CH will not be here in June irrespective of whether or not he keeps us up. There is still immense pressure on a lot of teams, and although our form and level of performance is awful at the moment, we''re still outside the bottom three and we still have a squad of players who are desperate to be playing top-flight football next season. If (and I know it''s a big if) we manage to beat Sunderland and West Brom at home, that will ratchet up the pressure on both of those teams, and the other teams below us (Fulham and Cardiff, who both look in all kinds of trouble). The board had the opportunity to make a change earlier in the season and didn''t take it; they''re hardly likely to do so now, as that would be an admission that they got it wrong earlier in the season. I think the board (like all of us) are hoping beyond hope that we somehow scrape home, so then they have the opportunity to say thanks to CH for keeping us up for two years and then make a change in the best interests of all parties.

Good management is about learning from your mistakes, so I do not think the board will be worried about appearing to have got it wrong earlier. Could have, would have, should have simply will not come into it except for us supporters.

The board''s first responsibility is the long term development of the club, and I think decision''s will be taken to meet that objective. Obviously long term development will be greatly aided if we survive but that does not mean taking reckless gambles. So Wolf I agree with your analysis re there not being a short term appointment.

The nature of the business is that three club''s get relegated irrespective of how their boards have handled the situation. Our precarious situation though will mean our board is quite possibly now planning for the worst whilst hoping for the best.