Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Southampton away Match Thread!

Teams are out, we line up with:
Ruddy (Captain!) Whittaker, Yobo, Bennett, Olsson, Tettey, Johnson, Howson, Snoddy, Pilks, Hooper.
Subs: Bunn, Martin, Bassong, Hoolahan, Redmond, Wolfie, Elamnder.
Lots of changes, not sure about all of them. We''ll see.
Got a good feeling about today, which almost certainly means we will lose. I was going with 1-0 win to us, but now because of my positive feelings i''m going 3-1 Southampton.

Saints go with:
Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Lallana (c), Ramírez, Rodriguez
Subs: Gazzaniga (GK), Yoshida, Lambert, Guly, Chambers, Hooiveld, Gallagher.

pilkington ahead of redmond not sure about that, game over i think, anybody who went down might as well turn round and go home

Bassong dropped - good decision I think we''d all agree.

Redmond dropped - good decision because for all his dizzy runs he''s been totally ineffective. I don''t know why idiots boo every time he''s substituted.

Martin dropped - harsh but Whittaker deserves a start.

[quote user="Jh1990"]pilkington ahead of redmond not sure about that, game over i think, anybody who went down might as well turn round and go home[/quote]Great stuff, well done[Y]

Fair play to Hughton. Changes needed to be made, and he''s made them. Bassong has looked shaky, Redmond has been looking a bit tired, poor old Ricky doesn''t look like getting a shot at goal, let alone scoring, and the guys who are coming in will give the team a boost. Great to see Howson back, and I''m glad Pilks has been given an opportunity. He''s too good to be sat on our bench every week. Offers more of a goal threat than Redmond.

[quote user="Jh1990"]pilkington ahead of redmond not sure about that, game over i think, anybody who went down might as well turn round and go home[/quote]
Why?
Redmond hasn''t done anything overly productive since he won us the points vs Southampton last time.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Bassong dropped - good decision I think we''d all agree.

Redmond dropped - good decision because for all his dizzy runs he''s been totally ineffective. I don''t know why idiots boo every time he''s substituted.

Martin dropped - harsh but Whittaker deserves a start.[/quote]I agree, and I think it shows bravery by Hughton, no one is undroppable.Pilkington''s chance to stake a place in the team, I think if he was fit and firing that Redmond would have been an impact sub for most of the season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Jh1990"]pilkington ahead of redmond not sure about that, game over i think, anybody who went down might as well turn round and go home[/quote]
Why?
Redmond hasn''t done anything overly productive since he won us the points vs Southampton last time.
[/quote]But will be handy coming off the bench against tired legs.

I don''t know just think we need pace, probably me just thinking we can''t win this game, when id really love to think we have a chance, but us away from home at Southampton, I just don''t see it with whatever team he puts out today, I hope i''m wrong at the end of the game.

The team captain and the club captain dropped. You''d think you would need your leaders out there when you are struggling a bit.

I actually think Bassong is a bit unlucky but I know few will agree.

Nice to see Howson back. And Whittaker and Pilks too to give us something different going forward.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Jh1990"]pilkington ahead of redmond not sure about that, game over i think, anybody who went down might as well turn round and go home[/quote]
Why?
[/quote]But will be handy coming off the bench against tired legs.[/quote]
Yeah.
Which is what I imagine Hughton planned on him doing all season. Not having two of his three senior wingers unavailable for about 2/3rds or so of the season so far.

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]Still no room for Becchio, like Elmander''s ripping up trees.[/quote]
Still no room?
He was on the bench last week. And based on comments from those who have watched him in the U21s he doesn''t even deserve to be there.
And still Hooper''s last (and only) goal(s) have come playing alongside Elamander. So whatever you think of him he was clearly doing something right because 10 games or so on without starting with him and no goals for Hooper, its definitely not a coincidence.

Probably because we are desperate ricardo!
Even though Ricky was doing well generally, he only had the one shot. Didn''t link up with Hoolahan at all, who again despite many lauding as MOTM last game only had two half decent shots and set up one other. Redmond hasn''t scored for us in ages. Martin isn''t adding to the attack. Bassong has made 3/4 goal conceding mistakes recently.
So basically our attacking players are creating or scoring. Our defenders aren''t defending well enough. And Johnson/Tettey are pretty much the only consistent part of our team, and Olsson, but his attacking play is limited by his and Redmonds desire to never pass to each other.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="ricardo"]The team selection is starting to look like desperation to me.[/quote]

[:O][:O][:O]  Ricardo in pre-match negativity shocker!!!

[/quote]I''m wearing my lucky underpants.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="ricardo"]The team selection is starting to look like desperation to me.[/quote]

[/quote]I''m wearing my lucky underpants.[;)][/quote]I have decided that my lucky underpants are only home game lucky underpants.But after their performance last week, I may have to bring in my reserve pants for the run in.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]I''m wearing my lucky underpants.[;)][/quote]I have decided that my lucky underpants are only home game lucky underpants.But after their performance last week, I may have to bring in my reserve pants for the run in.[/quote]I should add however that many years have passed since I last got lucky.[:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="ricardo"]The team selection is starting to look like desperation to me.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m wearing my lucky underpants.[;)]
[/quote]

I have decided that my lucky underpants are only home game lucky underpants.

But after their performance last week, I may have to bring in my reserve pants for the run in.
[/quote]

I have decided for the first time in ages to do my old Saturday afternoon ritual.  Hopefully it still works! 3rd away win of the season coming up guys[Y]

Southampton: Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Lallana, Ramírez, Rodriguez.Subs: Gazzaniga, Yoshida, Lambert, Guly, Chambers, Hooiveld, Gallagher.Norwich City: Ruddy; Whittaker, Yobo, R Bennett, Olsson; Tettey, Johnson, Howson; Snodgrass, Pilkington, Hooper.Subs: Bunn, Martin, Bassong, van Wolfswinkel, Hoolahan, Elmander, Redmond.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="morty"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]I''m wearing my lucky underpants.[;)][/quote]I have decided that my lucky underpants are only home game lucky underpants.But after their performance last week, I may have to bring in my reserve pants for the run in.[/quote]I should add however that many years have passed since I last got lucky.[:D][/quote][URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/640232a712_zps57437961.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/640232a712_zps57437961.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Redmond off the bench will be a positive option for us, Pilks and Howson starting is wrong decision.

Selection looks all over the place!

A fascinating set of fixtures today. With only eight games left for most afterwards the relegation picture could start to look quite a bit clearer. For what it is worth Hooper for our Dutch Jim Blair looks a sensible move, but Southampton still have more firepower.

Even though I am huge fan of Bassong I fully understand him being rested, but Martin is the surprise to me, he must have a minor knock as the last rge last couple of times Whittaker played he was well of the pace when compared to some previous promising outings, agree with the other changes though. Will be particular intersesting to see how Pilks does with a start......my concern is if he still wants it enough for the yellow shirt.........I still feel we can get something out of this game. 

I agree with Ricardo it smacks a bit of desperation but at the same time I don''t think too many people can argue with Hughton''s decisions.

Redmond largely unproductive.

Bassong has had a poor few last game. Not over 90 minutes but has made crucial mistakes.

Russel Martin has also been poor defensively the last couple games in my opinion.

Nice to see Howson back.