Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

That elusive 10th spot....

....is now as many points away (5 points) as being bottom of the league. So if LDC and co think we are still within a shout of 10th/11th then surely we are as much likely to finish bottom. Bottom more so when you relate it to performances and results.
I know Lambert won''t come back, and nor do I want him to, but f*ck me he''s a better all round manager than Hapless!

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]....is now as many points away (5 points) as being bottom of the league. So if LDC and co think we are still within a shout of 10th/11th then surely we are as much likely to finish bottom. Bottom more so when you relate it to performances and results.
I know Lambert won''t come back, and nor do I want him to, but f*ck me he''s a better all round manager than Hapless!
[/quote]And your point is?Other than to wind LDC up?I don''t think anyone has ever disputed that Paul Lambert is a better manager, despite the fact he has taken just a few points more than Hughton.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="SeattleCanary"]....is now as many points away (5 points) as being bottom of the league. So if LDC and co think we are still within a shout of 10th/11th then surely we are as much likely to finish bottom. Bottom more so when you relate it to performances and results.
[/quote]And your point is?Other than to wind LDC up?I don''t think anyone has ever disputed that Paul Lambert is a better manager, despite the fact he has taken just a few points more than Hughton.[/quote]
Just basically to try and stop his incessant posting to tell those of us that we will magically attain 10th spot, when we are now seeing the gap widen. Surely the very best we could hope for now is 12th, and even that is ridiculously unlikely.

I''m fairly sure he pointed out that we were as close to 10th place as we were to the relegation slots, to illustrate how tight the league is.I don''t think he has ever stated we will finish 10th.

[quote user="morty"]Who has been saying we''ll finish 10th then?[/quote]

Certainly not me.  My view has been that it could go either way - and it still could.   All options are open imo.   Its nowhere near done and dusted as to who will be relegated and who will end up mid-table.    We - and we have held ManCity and beaten Spurs recently - have as much chance as any team to get out of trouble.   Its all down to what happens in the next games.  

You can write today off and move on - but the two goals were a consolation - and Elmander scoring was one in the eye for all the anti-Elmander folk.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Who has been saying we''ll finish 10th then?[/quote]

Certainly not me.  My view has been that it could go either way - and it still could.   All options are open imo.   Its nowhere near done and dusted as to who will be relegated and who will end up mid-table.    We - and we have held ManCity and beaten Spurs recently - have as much chance as any team to get out of trouble.   Its all down to what happens in the next games.  

You can write today off and move on - but the two goals were a consolation - and Elmander scoring was one in the eye for all the anti-Elmander folk.  

[/quote]No I didn''t think you had.I''m a stickler for facts like that.

It is interesting to note that after our awful run of games we are still 4 points off relegation and it will probably continue till we hit those last 4 games ! 

[quote user="swindoncanary"]It is interesting to note that after our awful run of games we are still 4 points off relegation and it will probably continue till we hit those last 4 games !  [/quote]Quite a few people have said that the table probably won''t change much.I agree.

[quote user="morty"]I''m fairly sure he pointed out that we were as close to 10th place as we were to the relegation slots, to illustrate how tight the league is.I don''t think he has ever stated we will finish 10th.[/quote]
I never said, that LDC said we WOULD finish 10th. I merely pointed out that he needs to stop harping on about the possibility of it, as the way we play, and the results we gain we clearly aren''t closing that gap to 10th, its just getting wider. I was trying to point out that for all his positivity, I do not know on what basis he has a grounding to suggest we COULD make 10th. If anything we either will stay where we are or slip further down the table.
Please do not put words in my mouth.

"I never said, that LDC said we WOULD finish 10th. I merely pointed out that he needs to stop harping on about the possibility of it, as the way we play, and the results we gain we clearly aren''t closing that gap to 10th, its just getting wider. I was trying to point out that for all his positivity, I do not know on what basis he has a grounding to suggest we COULD make 10th. If anything we either will stay where we are or slip further down the table."

A win next week would put us on 32 points and we do need to win next week. The picture is never as black as people paint it. Even with our poor performance yesterday we ended up on the verge of getting a point.  You just don''t know what will happen. We can move up the table as well as down. That much is certain. Whether we do move up is down to what happens next week and the weeks following. I think we can beat Sunderland. So lets wait and see how we get on in the rest of the season shall we,  then we will see whether we end up nearer tenth - or eighteenth place.  

What I cant understand is why this continual mention of Paul Lambert from some posters, usually after Villa have won a match?? Why can''t you just let it go, it''s almost an unhealthy obsession.....and I think we will all agree, that he will not come back to Norwich City, and his management record is a little better than Chris Hughton.....but what has that got to do with Norwich City right now?

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]What I cant understand is why this continual mention of Paul Lambert from some posters, usually after Villa have won a match?? Why can''t you just let it go, it''s almost an unhealthy obsession.....and I think we will all agree, that he will not come back to Norwich City, and his management record is a little better than Chris Hughton.....but what has that got to do with Norwich City right now?[/quote]
The thing is Mark, Lambert is a manager in the lower half of the table the same as CH. Him along with Allardyce, Bruce, and a few others are the ones in which he can be measured up to. Amanager is always judged by his predecessors too, like how we always say Hughton isn''t as bad as Roeder and Grant. So I don''t think it is unreasonable to suggest that having watched Lamberts brand of football here for 3 seasons, and now seeing that Villa are progressing under him, that he doesn''t deserve a little praise for the way his teams never roll over and die. That was my only real point, seeing as they were the giant killers of the day.
I don''t want him back, nor do I think he''ll be back in the near future, but I like the work ethic of his teams to not stroll around like we did, thinking its a training game.

If you don''t want LDC to keep saying we will finish 10th then stop coming on here EVERY week and say we will be relegated.

How many weeks have we spent in the relegation zone this season? Not many, No one knows what is going to happen from now until the end of the season but saying we are going to definitely get relegated doesn''t help when you have no solid evidence to suggest we will.

Saturday is a huge match

No no Yobocop. That''s a very different thing entirely. It''s ok to suggest we will get worse than we''ve been all season but we musn''t suggest we could get better. Is it ok for me to suggest we''ll stay the same?

Unfortunately, we don''t need to get any worse.

We are 18th in the 6-game form table; Sunderland (10th) and Fulham (16th) are doing better than us. On the last eight games we are 19th, with Cardiff (18th) and Sunderland (11th) ahead of us.

If we want to get relegated, we don''t have to change a thing... We and the clubs around us can just happily carry on playing exactly how we have been, and we''ll be down.

Well there''s no difference between you saying we carry on and get relegated. Or someone else saying we carry on and stay up. Or someone else, and there''s plenty on here, suggesting we''ll get worse. Or Lakey suggesting we could move up the table. No difference whatsoever. Because if any of you knew the future you''d be busy making money with such knowledge rather than fortune telling on here!

Except there is a huge difference, as the person who says we can carry on and stay up is purely relying on the teams around us doing worse than they have been, as i showed above.

i have made no predictions, just observed the fact that if we and the teams around us perform in line with our respective recent/current performances, we are down. No hocus pocus, just mathematics!

So since we can''t control how the others do (except partly, by ensuring we beat Sunderland & Fulham) it follows that we urgently need to make major changes in what we are doing.

Nice picture, though!

[quote user="Yobocop"]If you don''t want LDC to keep saying we will finish 10th then stop coming on here EVERY week and say we will be relegated.

How many weeks have we spent in the relegation zone this season? Not many, No one knows what is going to happen from now until the end of the season but saying we are going to definitely get relegated doesn''t help when you have no solid evidence to suggest we will.

Saturday is a huge match[/quote]
Are you for real? Where do I say every week that we will get relegated? I hand on my heart change my mind most weeks on us staying up or going down, based on the performance I see by the team. But I have to concede we have let valuable points in the last 3 games slip by that I saw us getting more from. March I thought, would be our month. Now there is precious little room for error, with games running out we invite more pressure onto ourselves to make up those lost points, so I''m leaning more towards relegation as the team show nothing at all about them to fight to stay up.
So basically what you and Nige are saying is that the current form of the team isn''t enough to generate and base a prediction on?..... right. The how else are we all to make predictions? Pray do tell.
All I was pointing out in this post was that when the opportunity to close the gap on 10th has presented itself we haven''t got near it. My observation, which if you can read, is that we are now in fact farther away from it than the overly quoted ''3 points'' (now 5) that LDC harps on about after many dismal, uninspiring losses week in week out.
We may stay the same, but the form table suggests that we are in the running for a decline. And as for being in the relegation zone, our form suggests it is just a matter of time considering our games are against key opposition. Now if the team that played against Man City, and to an extent Spurs (I say this as they wasted chances they should have scored, looked tired and uninterested themselves) turns up for the last 8 games, we could deserve and rightly take the 10 points we need to restore some dignity with safety. Anything less, or anything like the tripe I saw Saturday and we''ll be going away to Brentford or Leyton Orient more than likely next season.