Sign in to follow this  

Team selection has been dictated a lot of the time by injuries.  The midfield has been a problem all season, ever since the first game when Benno was injured.   Even Saturday''s midfield was largely one that was the only choice available  (Wes would have been the 1 in a 4411, so I don''t count him) and we struggled - with last season''s players.  

Gutierrez seemed to be a great cover brought in and now he is injured too, alongside Fer.   Pilks has not had a lot of match time, Howson has had a long lay off.  So the choices are limited.    Redmond perhaps needed the rest - and Pilks needed the game time.   

These are not excuses, they are practical difficulties that every manager has to deal with.   I feel strongly that with our best 11 out there and the right subs on the bench, we are a strong outfit.    The Spurs match was one of the few matches where it worked, with a strong line up and strong subs off the bench.   

Saturday had some arguably strange team selection choices, but I think CH was simply trying to change our away fortunes by mixing it up a bit and in the process, giving Whittaker some game time (and he has been good for us in the past) and R Bennett, who most seem to think will be a top player, a chance to get match fit.    So choices are limited when players are injured.    We need a bit of fortune to go our way but I''m confident that if we can get the best 11 out there we will get the results we need.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Team selection has been dictated a lot of the time by injuries.  The midfield has been a problem all season, ever since the first game when Benno was injured.   Even Saturday''s midfield was largely one that was the only choice available  (Wes would have been the 1 in a 4411, so I don''t count him) and we struggled - with last season''s players.  

Gutierrez seemed to be a great cover brought in and now he is injured too, alongside Fer.   Pilks has not had a lot of match time, Howson has had a long lay off.  So the choices are limited.    Redmond perhaps needed the rest - and Pilks needed the game time.   

These are not excuses, they are practical difficulties that every manager has to deal with.   I feel strongly that with our best 11 out there and the right subs on the bench, we are a strong outfit.    The Spurs match was one of the few matches where it worked, with a strong line up and strong subs off the bench.   

Saturday had some arguably strange team selection choices, but I think CH was simply trying to change our away fortunes by mixing it up a bit and in the process, giving Whittaker some game time (and he has been good for us in the past) and R Bennett, who most seem to think will be a top player, a chance to get match fit.    So choices are limited when players are injured.    We need a bit of fortune to go our way but I''m confident that if we can get the best 11 out there we will get the results we need.

[/quote]

Here come the excuses again and he has a sack full ready for our relegation too.

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"] 

Here come the excuses again and he has a sack full ready for our relegation too.

[/quote]

Why don''t you try adding to the football discussion occasionally - you know - like writing something to do with the topic?  

[quote user="Brienne"]Dont I know you from somewhere Jimbo?[/quote]

Do you Mr Brienne? sadly I can''t recall you sorry.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jimbo Canary"] 

[/quote]

Why don''t you try adding to the football discussion occasionally - you know - like writing something to do with the topic?  

[/quote]

I just have.[:|]

Do you think Jimbo might be Wiz? There seem to be a lot of similarities in their posting styles.

I have a hand full of straws for you to clutch at Lakey, I was going to counter your frankly tedious argument but I really can be bothered.

The one constant this season through our turgid performances this season is the Manager.

Thank god that Spurs didn''t bother turning up.

Strange that KeelansGlove, because there was me thinking we actually played pretty well against Spurs.

But I guess that''s how it is these days - play turgidly and it''s down to the manager, play well and it''s the opposition playing poorly.

[quote user="I.S."]Do you think Jimbo might be Wiz? There seem to be a lot of similarities in their posting styles.[/quote]

I''ll tell you what I''ve told two others Mr I.S, I''ve used too many message boards where this sort of nonsence/ganging up goes on, I''m not Mr Whizz thankfully but you make up your own mind if you haven''t already.

I''ll just ignore it for future accusations.

Some of you really need to play the ball, and not the man. Lakey is correct, that rarely having anything close to a full squad to choose from, when the squad is barely good enough anyway, is a factor.

Its not an excuse. Its a fact. And those of you refusing to see this are being a bit daft.

Had enough of this ''the squad is not good enough''.

It''s better, by far, than the previous two seasons and it was more than good enough then.

And every club has injuries. Some have had more than us. Some less. But every single club has to deal with a number of injuries at certain times. And even the top clubs struggle because they don''t have two quality starting XIs laying around.

So no Morty, it''s not a ''fact'' that we struggle because of injuries because it''s something everyone has to deal with and from what I understand of other teams injuries we aren''t really any worse off than many others.

LDC I have a lot of time for your posts, well thought through and TBF positive.

However, to me, the failure of the manager to strengthen the midfield in the summer and again in January is proving his downfall. I have stated many times that Johnson and Tettey is not enough to cover Defensive midfield in the PL when you are planning on going with 3 in the middle. They both lack quality and technique on the ball. To spend the amount of budget on Hooper and RVW when you have no intention of playing them together and not adapting a midfield to supply either one is a shocking remiss from the manager and is coming home to haunt him.

We have only 4 players, I would say 3, who can play in the holding role as I don''t see Fer as a holding midfielder and Howson can do it but not that well. We give turnover of ball so easy as we struggle to accept it off the back 4 as we lack the skill and enterprise to build, because of this we are too slow to catch our opponents out. If we do collect the ball, as we did Saturday, it invariably is Howson, which means Johnson and/or Tettey push forward, which is simply not the answer. Against Stoke, the ball fell twice to Johnson in great areas in the last 5 minutes, the result was awful. Not his fault, he is just limited in his ability to play an expansive midfield role.

Ok, maybe when we have 11 on the field of choice we can compete, but its not unlucky to have a balanced squad which accommodates for the style of play you wish to implement.

I still think we will survive, just, but I think we should all see that CH has created an unbalanced squad which does not utilise our forward players to their best effect.

The squad is a lower half premiership standard squad that is just about good enough if every single player is fit and available.

Everyone has injuries, its part and parcel of football, thats why you have a squad of 20+ players. If thats the problem CH should have spent the £25m a little bit better. Im sorry but its the poor tactics, negative football and the consistant wrong team selection and subs why we are in this mess. So stop talking utter rubbish about injuries. Excuses excuses

The manager can''t inspire and get the best out of any of the squad. Hooper, RvW and Becchio have been prolific at admittedly a lower level but they should all have all scored more than their present total.

morty wrote the following post at 17/03/2014 10:21 AM:

The squad is a lower half premiership standard squad that is just about good enough if every single player is fit and available.

What do you mean"just about good enough". Just about good enough for what? To stay up?

[quote user="Canary Willo"]

However, to me, the failure of the manager to strengthen the midfield in the summer and again in January is proving his downfall. I have stated many times that Johnson and Tettey is not enough to cover Defensive midfield in the PL when you are planning on going with 3 in the middle. They both lack quality and technique on the ball. To spend the amount of budget on Hooper and RVW when you have no intention of playing them together and not adapting a midfield to supply either one is a shocking remiss from the manager and is coming home to haunt him.

We have only 4 players, I would say 3, who can play in the holding role as I don''t see Fer as a holding midfielder and Howson can do it but not that well. We give turnover of ball so easy as we struggle to accept it off the back 4 as we lack the skill and enterprise to build, because of this we are too slow to catch our opponents out. If we do collect the ball, as we did Saturday, it invariably is Howson, which means Johnson and/or Tettey push forward, which is simply not the answer. Against Stoke, the ball fell twice to Johnson in great areas in the last 5 minutes, the result was awful. Not his fault, he is just limited in his ability to play an expansive midfield role.

Ok, maybe when we have 11 on the field of choice we can compete, but its not unlucky to have a balanced squad which accommodates for the style of play you wish to implement.

I still think we will survive, just, but I think we should all see that CH has created an unbalanced squad which does not utilise our forward players to their best effect.

[/quote]This exactly, I would also add that when we have played teams we "should/Could" beat at home or away for that matter, or teams on a bad run. He has failed to pick a positive team capable of taking the 3 points instead settling for a point. Look at Fulham beating us at home then losing 6-0 to Hull, taking 1 point of Cardiff, Newcastle he took a point in the middle of their "where has cabbaye" gone awful run! He has no belief in us as a club able to punch above our weight. also why did we not look at Shane Long or Jelavic for at 6-7million, we can all see we cant score goals. He did nothing!

Honestly I''ve had enough of the negativity , we have a chance to survive still , quite a good chance aswell, I don''t personally see Fulham staying up from the position that they are in and In terms of us, we''ve been so up and down this season the negativity stemming from fans does not help in the slightest, this squad is just and improved upon version of the teams that kept us up the last two seasons, and come to think about it we were practically down by the last game of the season last year and pulled off a brilliant performance that I had the pleasure of witnessing at the Etihad, this year we have the Wolfman and Hooper, Fer to name a few additions in what I think at the time we all agreed was a very constructive transfer season, so give us a chance and get behind the team

[quote user="CuDiZoNeD"]Honestly I''ve had enough of the negativity , we have a chance to survive still , quite a good chance aswell, I don''t personally see Fulham staying up from the position that they are in and In terms of us, we''ve been so up and down this season the negativity stemming from fans does not help in the slightest, this squad is just and improved upon version of the teams that kept us up the last two seasons, and come to think about it we were practically down by the last game of the season last year and pulled off a brilliant performance that I had the pleasure of witnessing at the Etihad, this year we have the Wolfman and Hooper, Fer to name a few additions in what I think at the time we all agreed was a very constructive transfer season, so give us a chance and get behind the team[/quote]

Us?

Are you a player perchance?[^o)]

Don''t think my post is negative just trying to give constructive feedback as to why my football club is underperforming this season.

I too think we will survive, but I do not think CH is the man to lead us forward based on this seasons level of achievement and levels of performance.

[quote user="Canary Willo"]

However, to me, the failure of the manager to strengthen the midfield in the summer and again in January is proving his downfall. I have stated many times that Johnson and Tettey is not enough to cover Defensive midfield in the PL when you are planning on going with 3 in the middle. They both lack quality and technique on the ball. To spend the amount of budget on Hooper and RVW when you have no intention of playing them together and not adapting a midfield to supply either one is a shocking remiss from the manager and is coming home to haunt him. We have only 4 players, I would say 3, who can play in the holding role as I don''t see Fer as a holding midfielder and Howson can do it but not that well. We give turnover of ball so easy as we struggle to accept it off the back 4 as we lack the skill and enterprise to build, because of this we are too slow to catch our opponents out. If we do collect the ball, as we did Saturday, it invariably is Howson, which means Johnson and/or Tettey push forward, which is simply not the answer. Against Stoke, the ball fell twice to Johnson in great areas in the last 5 minutes, the result was awful. Not his fault, he is just limited in his ability to play an expansive midfield role.    Ok, maybe when we have 11 on the field of choice we can compete, but its not unlucky to have a balanced squad which accommodates for the style of play you wish to implement.  I still think we will survive, just, but I think we should all see that CH has created an unbalanced squad which does not utilise our forward players to their best effect.[/quote]

Thanks CW.I agree with you up to a point about the squad.   An extra midfield/holding player would have made a lot of difference - and with Tettey/Fer and/or Howson missing we struggle. Any team would struggle if it couldn''t get its best 11 out there.  I keep it in my mind that this is still not a full  development of the squad - ok two years may seem like a long time to build, but at the start of this season, we had several new players to fit in, all of them injured at some point.   Now we have Gutierrez injured as well when he came in.   So although you could say that Hughton has been remiss in not getting the balance right, he presumably wants to get more players in to strengthen that position - maybe they haven''t been available at the right time or price.    Injuries have been a real pain this year and until we develop the squad still further, with more strength in depth, we are always going to struggle when injuries occur.  Even top teams struggle to play at their best when they can''t get their best teams out.  

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"]

[quote user="CuDiZoNeD"]Honestly I''ve had enough of the negativity , we have a chance to survive still , quite a good chance aswell, I don''t personally see Fulham staying up from the position that they are in and In terms of us, we''ve been so up and down this season the negativity stemming from fans does not help in the slightest, this squad is just and improved upon version of the teams that kept us up the last two seasons, and come to think about it we were practically down by the last game of the season last year and pulled off a brilliant performance that I had the pleasure of witnessing at the Etihad, this year we have the Wolfman and Hooper, Fer to name a few additions in what I think at the time we all agreed was a very constructive transfer season, so give us a chance and get behind the team[/quote]

Us?

Are you a player perchance?[^o)]

[/quote]Nah.........No spelling mistakes or text-speak innit.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Canary Willo"]

However, to me, the failure of the manager to strengthen the midfield in the summer and again in January is proving his downfall. I have stated many times that Johnson and Tettey is not enough to cover Defensive midfield in the PL when you are planning on going with 3 in the middle. They both lack quality and technique on the ball. To spend the amount of budget on Hooper and RVW when you have no intention of playing them together and not adapting a midfield to supply either one is a shocking remiss from the manager and is coming home to haunt him. We have only 4 players, I would say 3, who can play in the holding role as I don''t see Fer as a holding midfielder and Howson can do it but not that well. We give turnover of ball so easy as we struggle to accept it off the back 4 as we lack the skill and enterprise to build, because of this we are too slow to catch our opponents out. If we do collect the ball, as we did Saturday, it invariably is Howson, which means Johnson and/or Tettey push forward, which is simply not the answer. Against Stoke, the ball fell twice to Johnson in great areas in the last 5 minutes, the result was awful. Not his fault, he is just limited in his ability to play an expansive midfield role.    Ok, maybe when we have 11 on the field of choice we can compete, but its not unlucky to have a balanced squad which accommodates for the style of play you wish to implement.  I still think we will survive, just, but I think we should all see that CH has created an unbalanced squad which does not utilise our forward players to their best effect.[/quote]Stop making excuses, when Hughton has had a full squad to choose from, we have not won some very winnable games! He is way out of his depth and knows this with his settle for a point attitude.

Thanks CW.I agree with you up to a point about the squad.   An extra midfield/holding player would have made a lot of difference - and with Tettey/Fer and/or Howson missing we struggle. Any team would struggle if it couldn''t get its best 11 out there.  I keep it in my mind that this is still not a full  development of the squad - ok two years may seem like a long time to build, but at the start of this season, we had several new players to fit in, all of them injured at some point.   Now we have Gutierrez injured as well when he came in.   So although you could say that Hughton has been remiss in not getting the balance right, he presumably wants to get more players in to strengthen that position - maybe they haven''t been available at the right time or price.    Injuries have been a real pain this year and until we develop the squad still further, with more strength in depth, we are always going to struggle when injuries occur.  Even top teams struggle to play at their best when they can''t get their best teams out.  

[/quote]

[quote user="lake district canary"]Team selection has been dictated a lot of the time by injuries.  The midfield has been a problem all season, ever since the first game when Benno was injured.   Even Saturday''s midfield was largely one that was the only choice available  (Wes would have been the 1 in a 4411, so I don''t count him) and we struggled - with last season''s players.  

[/quote]

LDC - your points are all valid. But I would advise you to also include some of the negatives too, otherwise you do come across as a bit overly staunch in your defence of Hughton, and you attract criticism from your detractors too easily. I know you see and understand the negatives too - you have mentioned this in previous posts. But I think you need to admit that the players simply look lost and demotivated at the moment, and seem to have so little understanding of each other. Much like United look this season under Moyes, when last year they won the league.

[quote user="morty"]Some of you really need to play the ball, and not the man. Lakey is correct, that rarely having anything close to a full squad to choose from, when the squad is barely good enough anyway, is a factor.

Its not an excuse. Its a fact.
And those of you refusing to see this are being a bit daft.[/quote]That is quite correct Morty but LDCsays that all will be sweetness and light when we get our injured players back.Again that would probably be true but he always conveniently forgets that football players are in a revolving door.  One plays, gets injured and comes back only to be replaced on the treatment by someone else.Yes, we''ve had some injuries but so does everyone else.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 2014-03-17 1:30 PM:

These are not excuses,

Saturday had some arguably strange team selection choices, but I think CH was simply trying to change our away fortunes by mixing it up a bit

You really are a pompous and idiotic individual. There is more and more imbecilic rubbish coming out of your mouth (and backside) than that of HUGHTON and MC''NALLY collectively.

HUGHTON has NO IDEA what his best side is WHATSOEVER, and regardless of WHOM he plays (bearing in mind that all sides have a SQUAD) the end result is exactly the same! Why? Because he is clueless, his tactics, game plan and lack of a plan B go before him - he is THE WORST MANAGER the supporters of the club have now had to endure, and the crap you keep spouting WILL NEVER CHANGE THAT.

And when he goes, which will be soon, let''s hope you do too.