Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Sack Hughton now and get in an ** kicker!

Right games are running out now thick and fast. At this moment in time we are just surrendering our premier league status, as the players ( thanks to Hughton) seem to think they don''t need to try away from home, which leads to heavy defeats with god awful performances. This in turn puts tons of pressure on our home games, pressure we don''t need considering our inability to score more than one goal. We have games left so let''s give ourselves a chance. As much as I don''t like him, I''d consider offering the job to someone like Neil Warnock until the end of the season. I think he''d take it if offered a good incentive, and I feel he could rally the players for the task ahead. Something Hughton now more than ever seems incapable of doing!

The statistics show that getting in a manager to give a team a short term kick up the arse to avoid relegation doesn''t work often. People will argue that Di Canio saved Sunderland last year. He took 8 points from 7 matches, which is hardly magical form. The whole league were basically saved by the fact that Wigan tanked because they had to play a loads of games at the end of the season in quick succession and ran out of steam.

The Sunderland game is basically **** or bust next week. Whatever my reservations about Hughton, we have a better chance with him in charge than chucking someone in at the deep end now with about 5 days notice.

I''d just be happy to see us play our first team rather than several reserves as we did for Southampton, but either way we''ll have a good indication of which way our season is headed by 3.45 pm on Saturday.

Fulham have Man City (away)

Cardiff have Liverpool (home)

Palace have Newcastle (away)

West Brom have Hull (away)

Swansea have Everton (away)

Obviously a win would be huge, and there''s a decent chance a majority of the above results

could go our way too...

Midweek there are two more important games..

Sunderland v Liverpool (away)

Swansea v Arsenal (away)

Setting up the season''s most critical week IMO

Norwich v Swansea (away)

Fulham v Everton (home)

Cardiff v West Brom (away)

Sunderland v West Ham (home)

Palace v Chelsea (home)

If things break right for us we''ll be golden, but all of those fixtures have the potential to go the wrong way for us .....

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]He does need to go but we need a manager who can inspire and motivate. Not arse kick

Cometh the hour cometh the man cometh the Messiah[/quote]

Jesus Christ!

McNally has badly misjudged the situation. I don''t believe for a moment that he thought the club could get relegated until reality has recently been staring him in the face.

For my money, McNally''s target isn''t available yet, therefore he is hoping the club limp over the line and he can make his new appointment in the summer. Relegation will change all that in a big way.

[quote user="danielsroundabout"]"Get Warnock in and ask him if he knows anybody who can assist him."

Yes, there''s somebody out there who made this as a serious suggestion. Heaven help us.[/quote]

And that stumbling in the dark is the way forward apparently...

If you''re going to change the manager at least have a plan, any plan is better than nothing!

As pointed out already - it''s not necessarily an ass-kicker we need. Look at Magath at Fulham, he''s meant to be hell bent on discipline - one win in 10 is it?

We need a good motivator. Thing is, (as has already been pointed out on this board) at this stage NO manager will take the job for just the last 8 games. The only person that probably would is someone already at the club, such as Neil Adams, and I''m not sure we know enough about him for that to be an improvement - However, time is short, and I for one would be willing to take the gamble on Adams now. The last 3 games have been a decline from what was already poor.

[quote user="MancCanary"]We need a good motivator. [/quote]

No we don''t. We need the players to take responsibility.  Players have all the power these days - it is they who have to get it together and get the results.   Hughton sets up the team to play in a certain way and the players have to do it on the pitch.  We know the Hughton method works because we have seen it. Over the last two seasons there have been games and spells in games where we have looked superb.  The problem is the team don''t have the confidence/ability to do it consistently week after week.  That is down to -a) Finances and other clubs actually having better players than us because of having more money.b) It is also down to injuries. c) It is also down to a long term view of what we are trying to achieve as a club from Academy upwards.  d) Strikers not putting away chances - but that is part of "players taking responsibility"e) Hughton is part of the equation and he has to take responsibility as well Its a mixture of circumstances causing difficulties - which is why I believe Hughton is still at the club.  It is a bigger picture than just the manager being at fault - although of course he is the man who has to get it all together - and that is not easy - and wouldn''t be for any other manager either, incidentally.   As I say, it is the players who count from here on in.   They have proved they can get results despite the odds again and again over the last two seasons.  They will do so again, imo.

Perhaps Hughton needs that Ranter and Raver alongside him.

If we bring in an ar$e kicker it would be classic "good cop, bad cop" routine and could perhaps work as a result?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="MancCanary"]We need a good motivator. [/quote]

No we don''t. We need the players to take responsibility.  Players have all the power these days - it is they who have to get it together and get the results.   Hughton sets up the team to play in a certain way and the players have to do it on the pitch.  We know the Hughton method works because we have seen it. Over the last two seasons there have been games and spells in games where we have looked superb.  The problem is the team don''t have the confidence/ability to do it consistently week after week.  That is down to -a) Finances and other clubs actually having better players than us because of having more money.b) It is also down to injuries. c) It is also down to a long term view of what we are trying to achieve as a club from Academy upwards.  d) Strikers not putting away chances - but that is part of "players taking responsibility"e) Hughton is part of the equation and he has to take responsibility as well Its a mixture of circumstances causing difficulties - which is why I believe Hughton is still at the club.  It is a bigger picture than just the manager being at fault - although of course he is the man who has to get it all together - and that is not easy - and wouldn''t be for any other manager either, incidentally.   As I say, it is the players who count from here on in.   They have proved they can get results despite the odds again and again over the last two seasons.  They will do so again, imo.

[/quote]

I agree with everything you''ve said there LDC :) ... Except! ... I still stand by my point that we need a good motivator. I''m not saying he wasn''t motivating them last season - I''m saying he''s lost it now.

I remember the season Lambert left , the team was playing well for first half, and then it was like someone switched the lights out after Christmas. The team played just like they are under Hughton with no real drive and leadership, and luckily we limped over the finishing line.

Pretty certain it coincided with Lambert deciding time to move on and stopped leading the team and caring.

The manager is the most member of the team , get it right and you have success get it wrong and disaster is only a season away.

Hughton has shown none of the qualities required to be our long term future, he inspires nothing in the team who seem now resigned to losing away matches before they kick off.

Only at home with the motivation of the crowd do they even try, and as with Stoke they are only a moment from a disaster. The real key is no one on the pitch seems to give a fig when a goal goes in.

Bassong our captain highlights this gives a soft penalty against Stoke and was fouled for Villas second goal, so he had every right to give the ref both barrels as player and captain! Yes he might get booked but needs to show he cares to everyone especially ref and yes the fans too!

That is why Holt is missed so much by the team there is no one out there providing that motivation, leadership to get us out of this mess!