Sign in to follow this  
50 years a Supporter

What is NCFC, and what is the difference between a fan and a supporter?

The past performances, the performances to come, the Board, the Manager, the gladiator for a community, the afternoon of excitement in an otherwise humdrum week? The reason to feel naked emotion within a safe scale? An affliction, or a joy, passed on from your Dad, the link to those days when it was all important and the centre of your universe? The memory of childhood, a representation of your present, and your dreams for the future?

For most of my life I have been a fan. Although not always attending, I have followed unconditionally. This has changed this year. I see the club has an illness. It''s performances are a shadow of it''s former self and I find that I no longer look forward to watching the games. It is scared, so scared it sticks it''s head in the sand and just hopes the signs will miraculously disappear. It tells itself  it will seek treatment "tomorrow" and then "maybe the day after tomorrow".

I am now a supporter. I cannot watch such deterioration with the blind faith I once held. I want to know that it will seek treatment for, without it, it''s life would barely be worthwhile. For me the treatment is everything, the only route back to the joyous days of Lambert, Stringer, Saunders, Bond, Brown, O''Neill, Walker or even the early Worthington.

I am a supporter and there is only one way I can become a fan again.......

The really frustrating part for me is that regardless of whether I am a supporter or a fan I have no control over, or insight into, the minds of those who can begin the healing process. I have three nightmares haunting my nights... a) we will be relegated before treatment is sought,b) we survive in the PL for another year and kid ourselves that it was "just a cold that got better of it''s own accord", and c) we get relegated and still don''t treat the root cause     

[quote user="50 years a Supprter"]The past performances, the performances to come, the Board, the Manager, the gladiator for a community, the afternoon of excitement in an otherwise humdrum week? The reason to feel naked emotion within a safe scale? An affliction, or a joy, passed on from your Dad, the link to those days when it was all important and the centre of your universe? The memory of childhood, a representation of your present, and your dreams for the future?For most of my life I have been a fan. Although not always attending, I have followed unconditionally. This has changed this year. I see the club has an illness. It''s performances are a shadow of it''s former self and I find that I no longer look forward to watching the games. It is scared, so scared it sticks it''s head in the sand and just hopes the signs will miraculously disappear. It tells itself  it will seek treatment "tomorrow" and then "maybe the day after tomorrow".I am now a supporter. I cannot watch such deterioration with the blind faith I once held. I want to know that it will seek treatment for, without it, it''s life would barely be worthwhile. For me the treatment is everything, the only route back to the joyous days of Lambert, Stringer, Saunders, Bond, Brown, O''Neill, Walker or even the early Worthington.I am a supporter and there is only one way I can become a fan again.......The really frustrating part for me is that regardless of whether I am a supporter or a fan I have no control over, or insight into, the minds of those who can begin the healing process. I have three nightmares haunting my nights... a) we will be relegated before treatment is sought,b) we survive in the PL for another year and kid ourselves that it was "just a cold that got better of it''s own accord", and c) we get relegated and still don''t treat the root cause     [/quote]

Oh do me a favour.  Roeder?  Hamilton? Rioch? Grant?  Gunn?  The search for a formula that works long term in the monied world of the premiership?    If you don''t understand/appreciate what is going on then you''re probably better off giving up supporting, as well as giving up fanning.   The situation is not as bad as it was in the premiership under Worthington either.   We had a go then  with an inept squad and a manager who had no idea how to manage at this level.   I notice you said "Early" Worthington - so it seems you pick  out the good times and leave out the bad times.  Really - I  suggest you go away and rethink - and I suspect you are a previous/present poster who has decided on a new tack.   Give it up if that is the case, because what you say doesn''t wash.

Why are people acting like this is the worst state Norwich have ever been? We''re going through a tough time, yes, but we have been through far tougher times, survived, and moved on.

[quote user="Herman "]Why are people acting like this is the worst state Norwich have ever been? We''re going through a tough time, yes, but we have been through far tougher times, survived, and moved on.[/quote]Even in my relatively short time supporting, we have been far, worse than this[Y]

I guess in the past that there was always hope............. or at least the belief or knowledge that if the illness got so bad that someone would initiate treatment.    Now I can''t feel either ..... 

[quote user="50 years a Supprter"]I guess in the past that there was always hope............. or at least the belief or knowledge that if the illness got so bad that someone would initiate treatment.    Now I can''t feel either ..... [/quote]

Take off the boxing gloves then [;)]

Never before have I been as disillusioned as I am now, and so many other people feel the same way.  For me the difference is we currently have the players at our disposal to not be in this positions, with the likes of Roeder etc. we were limited by 101 different loan players and a generally poor squad.