Sign in to follow this  
Buzz Killington

A change of luck

I keep reading interviews with Hughton and various players after games, and one thing keeps repeating. They keep saying that we just need a change of luck. It''s winding me up! Unlucky would be losing a game, or maybe a run of games, in dubious circumstances. I wouldn''t say we are being unlucky, we''re just poor. It alarms me somewhat, that our management and players are just going to carry on as they are, and wait for a change of luck.

Yeah, they should just admit they aren''t good enough, and accept relegation now[Y]

[quote user="morty"]Yeah, they should just admit they aren''t good enough, and accept relegation now[Y][/quote]

I fully understand the sentiment behind your comment, but what a ridiculous comment to make.

I don''t think we''ve had a particularly unlucky season. It''s frustrating to hear the players and manager say that''s what''s wrong.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, they should just admit they aren''t good enough, and accept relegation now[Y][/quote]

I fully understand the sentiment behind your comment, but what a ridiculous comment to make.

I don''t think we''ve had a particularly unlucky season. It''s frustrating to hear the players and manager say that''s what''s wrong.[/quote]
I struggle to remember us having a bit of luck, a penalty that wasnt, a flukey goal etc.

I struggle to remember us having a bit of luck, a penalty that wasnt, a flukey goal etc.

Both goals yesterday, but especially the first, were flukes.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Buzz Killington"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, they should just admit they aren''t good enough, and accept relegation now[Y][/quote]

I don''t think we''ve had a particularly unlucky season. It''s frustrating to hear the players and manager say that''s what''s wrong.[/quote]
[/quote]

I''d say it''s been standard. No particularly bad, but not great. Over the course of a season you get some decisions for and against you. For every injury we''ve had, a Charlie adam has been suspended against us.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Buzz Killington"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, they should just admit they aren''t good enough, and accept relegation now[Y][/quote]

[/quote]

I''d say it''s been standard. No particularly bad, but not great. Over the course of a season you get some decisions for and against you. For every injury we''ve had, a Charlie adam has been suspended against us.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Buzz Killington"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, they should just admit they aren''t good enough, and accept relegation now[Y][/quote]

[/quote]

I''d say it''s been standard. No particularly bad, but not great. Over the course of a season you get some decisions for and against you. For every injury we''ve had, a Charlie adam has been suspended against us.[/quote]
Nah, sorry, on that specific point of injuries, we really havent had much luck at all.

I think that over the course of the season, luck does pretty much balance out. The difference is that better sides do enough for the unlucky incident not to matter. Chelsea have a nasty deflected gal scored against them and it doesn''t matter because they go and score 3 down the other end. Arsenal have a goal wrongly ruled offside, but it doesn''t matter because they create another 10 or 15 chances in the game.

On the other hand, we - and weaker teams in general - don''t score 3 to make up for the unlucky goal conceded and don''t create another 15 chances to make up for the wrongly given offside. Who''s more unlucky? Both equal, but Chelsea''s quality means that their bad luck can be plastered over a lot easier than other teams''.

Bottom line - if you''ve got enough quality, you''ll stay up, even if bad luck costs you once or twice.

Injuries slightly different, as you get unlucky with those and you simply don''t have the quality.

[/quote]
When you stroll around against a team like Southampton, and treat it like a training game, and put in little urgency to clear the ball and pretty much let them have a free pop at goal - that isn''t bad luck buddy. Thats laziness, as much mentally as physically.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Buzz Killington"][quote user="morty"]Yeah, they should just admit they aren''t good enough, and accept relegation now[Y][/quote]

[/quote]
When you stroll around against a team like Southampton, and treat it like a training game, and put in little urgency to clear the ball and pretty much let them have a free pop at goal - that isn''t bad luck buddy. Thats laziness, as much mentally as physically.
[/quote]
We were talking about luck over the course of the season, you can have that whine in several of the other threads available[Y]

You make your own luck in football. Get the ball in the area as much as you can and you may get a dubious penalty or an own goal go your way. Keep hitting the target from distance and sooner or later the keeper will drop a clanger or a deflection of a defender takes it past him. Our game strategy is what is stopping us getting these lucky brakes. I cant recall too many games this season that i felt we were unlucky

Make as many excuses as you like, the fact is that the coaching has been appalling since Hoots came here.

For me it has been disappointing that my argument that we have a decent mid table quality squad spoilt by the coaching staff cannot be proved.

Suffice to say that any ball work done during week is not apparent. Players have to say they back the manager but it is obvious this is not the case. Commentators from the broad spectrum of the media are incredulous at our slow build up,lack of support to our striker and turgid (I like that word) performances.

The board are now suffering through apparent procrastination. The media have given McNally a torrid time despite the fact that he said nothing against our manager. I''m surprised that our Chief Executive has allowed himself to be portrayed as the villain.

The supporters are suffering because of opposite opinions of our coaches. Those that want Hughton out, pretty damn quick (please), are accused of not supporting our club and should keep away from The Carra.

I hate what is happening to our club. Is there no leadership? What has happened at board level? Is Delia back in charge of recruitment? Will Gunn be appointed in the close season?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Make as many excuses as you like, the fact is that the coaching has been appalling since Hoots came here. For me it has been disappointing that my argument that we have a decent mid table quality squad spoilt by the coaching staff cannot be proved. Suffice to say that any ball work done during week is not apparent. Players have to say they back the manager but it is obvious this is not the case. Commentators from the broad spectrum of the media are incredulous at our slow build up,lack of support to our striker and turgid (I like that word) performances. The board are now suffering through apparent procrastination. The media have given McNally a torrid time despite the fact that he said nothing against our manager. I''m surprised that our Chief Executive has allowed himself to be portrayed as the villain. The supporters are suffering because of opposite opinions of our coaches. Those that want Hughton out, pretty damn quick (please), are accused of not supporting our club and should keep away from The Carra. I hate what is happening to our club. Is there no leadership? What has happened at board level? Is Delia back in charge of recruitment? Will Gunn be appointed in the close season?[/quote]

What a bell end [Y]

Certainly in no way should a lack of luck be close to being a main reason for our shortcomings this season, no way. However, I have said sometime ago on here, that I have never known a season where our team has had so little luck/good fortune.......and sometimes you do need that lucky break at the right time to help kick-start things. I have witnessed a few games this season involving other teams where they have had a seasons luck in one match, we have yet to have one real lucky moment that has really been a gift.......maybe we have one or two coming our way now.......

Its true we have had no luck. Looking at Hull and a few of their lucky goals, shot that get deflected, etc, it certainly helps.

But then again, luck seem to favor those who dare, the brave ones.

And Hughton has never understood this. You got to dare to win. Hughton seem to play the calculated game, where he is gambling on the opposition having a bad day, slipping up badly, or a dead ball goal for us.

Such tactics does not bode well for "earning" some luck. The lesser the ball is in the opposition half, let alone the opposition penalty box, the less luck we will have (that will have an outcome of us winning games).

I have seen all NCFC games this season, and have never seen a NCFC team more stripped of confidence, urgency, effort, etc. Got to come down to abject management.

What about Jaaskelainen''s lunge for the ball which led to the penalty and Hooper score our first v W Ham at home. He (the keeper) doesn''t do that every game. I think it''s harder to remember good luck than bad, partly because it doesn''t rankle so much and partly because we don''t want to interpret incidents that favour our team as lucky.