Sign in to follow this  

I''m not sure how many people will be aware/care that League 1 Brentford have been granted planning permission for a new stadium.

I wondered whether somebody with vastly more knowledge and wisdom, could explain how a League 1 side can produce a business case to build a stadium, but a Premier League club can''t produce a business case to justify building a new stand?

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I''m not sure how many people will be aware/care that League 1 Brentford have been granted planning permission for a new stadium.

I wondered whether somebody with vastly more knowledge and wisdom, could explain how a League 1 side can produce a business case to build a stadium, but a Premier League club can''t produce a business case to justify building a new stand?[/quote]Tom Cavendish will explain it all to you.Something to do with sharing space with Supermarkets, Universities and Peppercorn rents.He''ll be along in a mo to put you right[:D]

[quote user="Vanwink"]We might get to see their old one soon.[/quote]Man up Winky, lots of water to flow under Trowse bridge before this season is over.Don''t forget, points on the board beat games in hand all day long.[Y]

[quote user="Manic Street Preacher"]I admire your optimism Ricardo, but, if Saturday is anything to buy, the players don''t seem to care one way or the other.[/quote]By the tone of some posts on here, there are many supporters who don''t seem to care either.

They''ll be making a massive amount of money from the sale of the Griffin Park site to developers.  The new ground is then being built sandwiches between two railway tracks and the elevated M4, so land worth a lot less for residential use.

I can explain it for you in great detail if you wish - I take my lads to see the Bees sometimes (who knows, we might be playing each other in the league next season) and I also know a local councillor In nearby Chiswick.

The long and short is that Brentford''s ground is pretty crap and they know it (c12k capacity) but they can''t really rebuild/ expand as it is tight and very much a residential area. The land is worth a fair bit, and there''s a site not far away, near Kew Bridge where they could build the stadium (20k capacity) but a number of apartments are needed to fund the whole thing, something some locals aren''t keen on so it had to go through several hoops to get through and was just finally approved.

I don''t suppose the questioner was really after an answer....but it has absolutely nothing in common with us at all.

I''ve supported Norwich since 1902 and I can''t stand this any longer. In that time we''ve been higher than we are now nearly every season, or most seasons, or some seasons, or a few seasons, anyway, I''m sick of it and I''m just soooooo miserable. And the football''s putrid I tell you. Throughout all those years we played in that stylish way we were famed for in the late eighties/early nineties. Or for most of them we did, well at least half of them, well definitely some of them, well we did in the late eighties/early nineties anyway...

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I can explain it for you in great detail if you wish - I take my lads to see the Bees sometimes (who knows, we might be playing each other in the league next season) and I also know a local councillor In nearby Chiswick.

The long and short is that Brentford''s ground is pretty crap and they know it (c12k capacity) but they can''t really rebuild/ expand as it is tight and very much a residential area. The land is worth a fair bit, and there''s a site not far away, near Kew Bridge where they could build the stadium (20k capacity) but a number of apartments are needed to fund the whole thing, something some locals aren''t keen on so it had to go through several hoops to get through and was just finally approved.

I don''t suppose the questioner was really after an answer....but it has absolutely nothing in common with us at all.[/quote]

I used to live in Chiswick and some locals who I played football with used to get me to go along to watch Brentford occasionally.  Attractive team then, in the eighties and a friendly club.  Excellent little Fullers pub too, on the corner just outside the ground called  aptly "The Griffin"............sorry, nothing to do with the op either, but it got me reminiscing.  

Don''t forget, points on the board beat games in hand all day long.

They certainly do!