Sign in to follow this  
Overrated, over paid

Southampton, a fan in the stands

Went to the match on Saturday. Pre match the atmosphere was pretty good with most fans hoping for a respectable point. It was tough to see every incident from behind the goal but their early goal definitely hit the players and Southampton were all over us in the first 45 mins. We were lucky to only be 1 nil down but the away fans new this flattered us.

Watching the players there are too many individual mistakes, these are happening all over the pitch. Snodgrass, Redmond, Bennett and Howson do all have quality and despite the poor performance you could see them striving to make a difference.

Bumped into Delia at HT and see was her welcoming positive self but you could tell she was resigned to another defeat. Chants of ''are you watching Delia'' and ''you don''t know what you''re doing'' and ''that''s why we''re going down'' rang out from a significant section of City fans. At least I witnessed Elmander score!

The team look short on confidence and short of ideas. I am afraid to conclude that Hughton is out of his depth and struggling to locate anything resembling armbands!

A decent away support of 2000 plus and an expected defeat. Looks like we''re in last chance saloon over the next 3 games and beating Sunderland is a MUST. Looks like Chris will be with us until the end of the season. Beyond that I can''t see any hope for him retaining his position, unless of course we collect a very healthy points return in these remaining games. I''m not entirely sure where we''ll finish except to say it''ll go to the wire and we will be relying on the poor fortunes of others!

Ps - some good banter with the Southampton lot, OTBC

Sorry to hear your day out had it''s normal depressing conclusion. With any luck we will see the end of boring Chrissy Hughton at the end of this season, and a whole new exciting chapter can be begun in NCFC history.

Unfortunately the new chapter looks to be a depressing stint in the Championship whilst losing the promising players.

Couldn''t agree more with the OP, was at the game with my boy, and we were awful from kick off.

No fight, no spirit, no passion. They were there for the taking the way the p1ss about at the back if Hooper had had help from the midfield in closing down we could have forced more errors.

The thing that smacks me in the face is our tempo. We are sooooo slow in our play, Southampton attacked with pace and at down the wings and in numbers. Have we ever done that with Hughton in charge.

Have been to 5 away games this season with my boy so probably spent with travel etc getting on for £300-400 and we see the same crap each time, I only do it for my son.

The Southampton fans were quality and for me sang the chant of the season after we went 2 down

"you''ve had a day out, ow f**k off home, you''ve had a day out now f**k off home"

Did make me chuckle.

The Southampton support is a bit like being growled at by a Chihuahua, not what you''d ever call a convincing set of supporters.

I''m also pretty sure they feed the noise back through the PA system as they do at Stoke "To give the lads a bit of a hand" to quote a well known expression.

Otherwise it was just like Norwich of old, a truly vintage performance of player ambivalence and material ineptitude, I was though delighted that Pilkington didn''t get his knees dirty, that''d have really spoiled things.

Couldn''t agree more with the OP and following posts on this thread.Watching Norwich play, particularly away is such hard work. With Chris Hughton in charge it''s bad enough having a home season ticket and I prefer not to upset myself too much so tend to give away matches a miss. No such luck on Saturday as I was there, the only positive being I picked up a nice suntan as I dozed away in the seats behind the goal.We were grim. Half the team looked as though they could hardly be bothered. Why people on here rave about Pilkington I just can''t fathom, for, as another poster says, he never seems to get his knees dirty. He may think that just because he''s a slight passing resemblance to David Beckham - tatoos and all - it''s only a matter of time before he''s an England fixture. Sorry to dis-illusion you Tony but there the resemblance ends I''m afraid. Just not enough effort, particularly away from home. The two goals we scored completely flattered us and it would have been daylight robbery if we''d come away with a point. Goalkeeping apart we were second best in all departmentsI met a bloke in the pre-match pub who has only missed three away matches since 1970. Hats off to him for his stamina. He''s clearly a '' better '' fan than me and must have seen much more terrible dross over the years than I have but it somehow seems more frustrating now given that the current players are much more talented than those in most teams that have turned out for City over the years. They should be so much better as a unit than they almost invariably turn out to be on the pitch.If you ignore the 90 mins from 3pm then away days are quite fun. Different routine, new pubs, good craic, etc.It''s a shame the real reason we''re supposed to be there is for the moment best ignored.

"Why people on here rave about Pilkington I just can''t fathom, for, as another poster says, he never seems to get his knees dirty. He may think that just because he''s a slight passing resemblance to David Beckham - tatoos and all - it''s only a matter of time before he''s an England fixture. Sorry to dis-illusion you Tony but there the resemblance ends I''m afraid."

I doubt it. He''s an Ireland international.

Other than that, I agree.

Frequently excellent in pervious seasons, but always a bit unwilling to out the hard work in defensively. Now seems to have very little going forward either. Injury hit seasons don''t help, I suppose.

His crossing was always good, bu we see very little of that these days when he plays.

I''ve never understood why people used to think he has pace. He''s not quick at all in this league.

[quote user="QHcanary"]........it''s only a matter of time before he''s an England fixture.

I doubt it. He''s an Ireland international.

Other than that, I agree.

Frequently excellent in pervious seasons, but always a bit unwilling to out the hard work in defensively. Now seems to have very little going forward either. Injury hit seasons don''t help, I suppose.

His crossing was always good, bu we see very little of that these days when he plays.

I''ve never understood why people used to think he has pace. He''s not quick at all in this league.[/quote][:D][:$]

Another point I picked up on at halftime on Saturday was just how far the legend of LDC has spread. A completely unprompted halftime chat with lad stood next to me was quite surprising

"Awful isn''t it?"

"Hell yes, it''s not the fact we get beaten, in the Prem you expect it, it''s the manner of the defeat that grates"

"Absolutely right, the away games are becoming a completely tiresome forgone conclusion, the trip to Cardiff was truly horrific as was West Ham, tactically inept. Then though you have a look on the message boards on the way back........"

"Don''t tell me, the Pink Un"

"Oh yes"

"Lake District Canary?"

"Ahhhhhhrrggghhh what a ----, when you''ve just spent an entire day and a load of loot following the lads the last thing you need is some berk preaching, pontificating and telling you what to think all from sat behind a live stream"

"Hallelujah, I''m not alone"

"I''ll listen to anybody''s point of view, there are people in here who I''ve rarely agreed with over the years but we chat, discuss, exchange views and generally chew the fat over where the club is and may be going but that''s not the point"

"It sure isn''t, it really really isn''t"

So whoever the Cap was many thanks for that chat, it did at least ensure that another wisdom tooth extractionally tedious away day had a crumb of comfort attached to it.

Pilkington''s knees, the very cleanest in the Prem and on a par with his beautifully waxed chest and artfully placed tattoos. On his day he can of course be great but worryingly on Saturday he looked like he belonged at Craven Cottage in May 2005

Namely getting his agent on the phone ready for next season.