Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Wothington and Hughton

Striking resemblance in performances, Worthy could never win away from home, relied on Carrow Road in being his fortress, same goes for Clueless, Worthys tatics was very simular to Clueless, bit of hit and hope football, Worthy also dismantled a winning formular when we got to the prem, Simon Charlton as centre half says it all!! If it wasnt for Hucks being in the form of his life, we would had struggled badly against decent oppostion!!

At least it''s Worthy and not Worthless now. That little bit of respect probably gained through the passage of time.

I love the idea that we played hit and hope football with Hucks in the team. That season we were relegated getting to the final day was a miracle. You can''t compare Hughton with Worthy. Different times and Worthy had already won our hearts with the run to the play-offs and the championship win. He will long be remembered after  Hughton is forgotten.

I don''t think you can compare the two until after 03-04 when Worthy started to lose the plot, a little.

As you say, he dismantled a title winning squad. Obviously it was going to need to be dismantled at some stage, but progressively, not as quickly as it was. The likes of Helveg and Jonson were quality players in their time, but not right for the Prem. Simon Charlton ousting Malky was a joke also. Worthy was far too quick too offload Malky and Roberts seemingly without considering how much of an influence they could have been that season.

Also the persistance of players like Holt and Fleming when way past their best was instrumental in NW''s downfall. However, I guess as they had been rocks in Worthy''s early years at the club, he felt they were reliable. I doubt CH even knows who he can rely on to perform.

Also Worthy never had anywhere near as much to spend as CH has. Although I guess times have changed, even since then.

Worthington era was very different.

We were promoted with quite an aging squad. Their experience had given us consistency over the season which the likes of Huckerby were able to come in and perform on top of.

There are so many difference to Worthington''s single premier league campaign compared to Hughton''s two.

First off we had very few genuinely premiership players in that squad at that time. Ashton by the end of the season, Huckerby throughout, possibly Francis as well.

But the wheels started to come off midway through the season where our lack of budget and lack of pace (Hucks excluded) cost us games and prevented us from playing a higher line against established sides.

You had the Bently incident which rightly led to him missing games, although arguably one of the few outlets in midfield.

We also had the likes of Francis who had his eye on the next move and whose performances hugely dropped in quality after rumoured links to other sides. Then there was the stuff behind the scenes.

Look at the side now. A premier league experience side, a relatively young side, a side built with good money rather than on peanuts. A side that finished comfortably mid-table last season.

Worthington would probably look at this squad and wish he could have had half of the players available to him back then.

Definitely a different era. For one, a lot of money has come into the league since then, and not necessarily for the better. The technical quality of the players has increased though.

" Look at the side now. A premier league experience side, a relatively young side, a side built with good money rather than on peanuts. A side that finished comfortably mid-table last season. "

I''m not sure I''d say comfortably, but it is true we finished mid table two years in a row. And it is also true we appear to have some good young players coming through, so if we can survive the next couple of seasons, then I think we''ll do very well.