Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

WHere do we go from here if we stay up?

Following from my post contemplating relegation, now I want to think about where we go from here if we stay up?

Say we get 8 more points and that keeps us up allbeit not very impressively. I''ll personally be very relieved and can then enjoy the world cup and speculate what impulse buys we might get from any of the dark horses that impress like Ivory Coast or USA etc.

I think it will be time for a mass loan out of youth players to the football league. Josh Murphy could do a Ross Barkley or Andros Townsend and go on a series of short term (3 month) loans just in case we want him back for the first team, the others could spend the season out on loan.

None of our ''star'' players will command much interest i wouldn''t think but it would be about time the likes of Becchio and Fox were moved on.

As for the loanees, i''d not bother keep any of them as it stands. I think we would get rid of Hughton too.

What we then need to do is sign a powerful, confident and mobile centre half to partner/ challenge Bassong.

Following that, i''d like a new right back, Whittaker can go, and Martin can stay on and would probably get enough games to stay happy.

After that, we need an upgrade on Bradley Johnson, so he becomes a rotation player/ back up. Someone like Johnno who is about hard work and determination, but someone who has a bit more composure and technique.

Then here is the big signing. That link up man. Someone who is strong, technically class and has the odd goal. People like Holtby and Sigurdsson should be considered.

After that, i''d like to see a target man striker and a quick winger/ striker, kind of a Redmond/Sturridge hybrid. For the striker, i''m thinking someone similar in style to Drogba or Benteke or Lukaku. There are plenty about and we might end up with the next Modibo Maiga but it''s worth a gamble as we severely lack a bully when we attack, especially since we love to smack hopeless long crosses into the area.

I think we should keep Hooper and the Wolf but there would be less pressure on them and a few options to mix it up a bit.

Rid of Hughton, appoint a new manager, director of football.

New defense, new forward line as well. Not a continue to build but a complete start again with a new manager with attacking instincts and a new squad to match

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"]

New defense, new forward line as well. Not a continue to build but a complete start again with a new manager with attacking instincts and a new squad to match

[/quote]

Although I agree with you Mr TEC it will be almost impossible to justify it if he does keep us up.

[quote user="Jimbo Canary"][quote user="Thorpe end canary"]

[/quote]

Although I agree with you Mr TEC it will be almost impossible to justify it if he does keep us up.

[/quote]

Lack of progress, faliure to get to 40 points. If we stay up, we''ll be lucky there were three worse teams than us. We can''t risk that again next season without attempting to do something about it. We have the makings of a good team, it''s just a bit shot of confidence and the odd player at the moment.

Snodgrass on his day is one of the best set piece deliverers around and has goals in his game. If he had pace, he''d be worth £20 million easily.

Redmond will be another year older and wiser, if he can develop his end product, he''ll be a regular international, as I think there is nobody better at beating his man in the England set up at the moment.

Bassong is still on his day the best defender in the bottom half of the premiership. With the right guy next to him, he''s a champions league potential player. Even Rio makes the odd mistake and you can hardly say Man U wasted the £30m they spent on him.

Olsson is a cracking left back that top clubs will always have on their radar.

Fer is potentially the future of Dutch football in the engine room.

Our strikers previous records suggest that there is a great chance they will eventually succeed in the premiership with the right tactics and a bit of confidence.

Ruddy is the best goalkeeper we''ve had in years.

There is the makings of a real good team there, we just need it used right and supplemented with better players.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If we stay up, we carry on building.  Simples.  Progress the squad, buy in new players, build confidence and improve the goal scoring situation.  

[/quote]

We will not be able to do any of the above unless we get rid of the thing that is holding us back, namely the management team.

Sack Hughton the day after the season ends. Look to appoint a manager within two weeks after the sacking. Neil Lennon, Uwe Rosler, Steve Clarke, Harry Redknapp, Malky Mackay should all be considered, amongst others, I''m sure.

Once the new manager is appointed, the usual in/out''s will begin. I think Neil Adams should be appointed to the first team setup alongside the new manager and his staff.

The youth team setup should be looked at in more depth than it ever has been before. We need to know what teams like Southampton do so right and what we do so wrong.

Mainly, we need to start the new season with a new positive attitude. Get ourselves a manager who instills belief in our players, makes them believe they can achieve anything - not one that limits their ability i.e. Chris Hughton.

We''ve got to stay up first though...

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Sack Hughton the day after the season ends. Look to appoint a manager within two weeks after the sacking. Neil Lennon, Uwe Rosler, Steve Clarke, Harry Redknapp, Malky Mackay should all be considered, amongst others, I''m sure. Once the new manager is appointed, the usual in/out''s will begin. I think Neil Adams should be appointed to the first team setup alongside the new manager and his staff. The youth team setup should be looked at in more depth than it ever has been before. We need to know what teams like Southampton do so right and what we do so wrong. Mainly, we need to start the new season with a new positive attitude. Get ourselves a manager who instills belief in our players, makes them believe they can achieve anything - not one that limits their ability i.e. Chris Hughton. We''ve got to stay up first though...[/quote]

That''d be the one that won the FA Youth Cup last season, managed by the bloke you want to promote to the first team set up.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If we stay up, we carry on building.  Simples.  Progress the squad, buy in new players, build confidence and improve the goal scoring situation.  

[/quote]Last summer Hughton spent £14m on two strikers to ''improve the goalscoring situation'', as well as signing an attacking box-to-box midfielder (Fer) and an extremely gifted young winger (Redmond). I feel it will take a change in tactical approach to ''improve the goalscoring situation'', and as Hughton has shown very little desire to alter his tactics into a more attacking style, this will necessitate a change in management and coaching staff.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]

Neil Lennon, Uwe Rosler, Steve Clarke, Harry Redknapp, Malky Mackay should all be considered,  [/quote]

Should they all?

No offence to the FA Youth Cup but winning it is pretty meaningless unless some of the lads actually make it to the first team and either blossom into England (or whoever) internationals either with us or a big fee paying club.

Lack of progress, faliure to get to 40 points. If we stay up, we''ll be lucky there were three worse teams than us. We can''t risk that again next season without attempting to do something about it. We have the makings of a good team, it''s just a bit shot of confidence and the odd player at the moment.

Snodgrass on his day is one of the best set piece deliverers around and has goals in his game. If he had pace, he''d be worth £20 million easily.

Redmond will be another year older and wiser, if he can develop his end product, he''ll be a regular international, as I think there is nobody better at beating his man in the England set up at the moment.

Bassong is still on his day the best defender in the bottom half of the premiership. With the right guy next to him, he''s a champions league potential player. Even Rio makes the odd mistake and you can hardly say Man U wasted the £30m they spent on him.

Olsson is a cracking left back that top clubs will always have on their radar.

Fer is potentially the future of Dutch football in the engine room.

Our strikers previous records suggest that there is a great chance they will eventually succeed in the premiership with the right tactics and a bit of confidence.

Ruddy is the best goalkeeper we''ve had in years.

There is the makings of a real good team there, we just need it used right and supplemented with better players"

Agree, which is one of the reasons this season has been so frustrating.... on balance I think we just need to concentrate on upgrading the parts of our squad that are not quite up to scratch, quality wise, for the Premier League.

IMO that means prioritizing an upgrade to these 5 players / positions.

Hoolahan / AM (He''s just too small and lightweight)

Snodgrass / LW (He''s just too slow, Redmond & Bennet can compete for the RW spot, Pilkington plus a Murphy or new signing to compete for the LW spot.

Johnson / DM (Not good enough technically, but keep as squad cover)

Turner / CB (Decent enough, but a bit too slow, but keep for squad cover)

Martin / RB (Decent enough, but is getting old, but keep for squad cover)

Sell - Hoolahan, Snodgrass, Becchio, Fox, Whittaker, Surman.

Release - Nash, Yobo, Gutierrez, Elmander.

Agreed other than getting rid of Snodgrass. He might not be quick but he''s technically one if our best players and has great determination, a valuable asset at the lower end of the table.